So...I must admit my guilt - Page 8 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#106 Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well you did get headwork... Good cams like Kelford/GSC beat the misconception that you give up low end to make more power up top. Chances are you're feeling the improvement in airflow from the pnp and cams.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#107 Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Congrats on getting your car back! Now, don't forget that Fumoto oil drain valve

John
07 WRX
#108 Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, I think the headwork with the headers are really making the most out of the crap boost for right now in the TQ department. I noticed how much just the headers made before, but with complementary headwork its even better. My profile needs updated now. I'll do it later when I have more free time on my hands.

I know the quick drain valve would eliminate any more mistakes on my end, but I'm still kind of on the fence about it. The failure rate or any mistakes are really low on the valve. But, idk...I still have to mill it around in my head.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#109 Old 10-07-2011, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The only failures on the valve are from ppl not installing it correctly.

You had no problem dumping 4-5K on the work you had done but "thinking" of buying $26 insurance. lol

Just get it

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#110 Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you're worried about the little lever flipping open, you could always buy some type of clip or twist some wire tightly around it to keep it in place. Mine's still holding strong and completely leak-free after 28 oil changes.

John
07 WRX
#111 Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Paul you forget labor charges and well...lets just say I wish it was only 4-5k to fix what one dumb oil drain plug ruined and then upgrade other things. I'm not getting the valve until my tuner is done changing its oil and has the protune on it.

Kirt
#112 Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'd like to know what the $ came to.

Tried talking to the wife about doing a build and gave her the 4-5K MAX window.... She just lol'd and said, yeah sure... Let's get right on that. hhahaahaha

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#113 Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I'll just throw it out there, my motor was ~6000 in parts and machining alone plus labor

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#114 Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Then again, CP-e has crate motors for my car I was thinking about for WAY less than 6-7K

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#115 Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd hate to imagine how much I have in the motor in my car, but I used a lot of stock and used parts so the prices were a bit cheaper. If I had gotten "real cams", head work and had someone else build it, 10k would not have been out of the realm of possibilities...
I do miss the old days of high performance, but cheap 350 small blocks...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#116 Old 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Ohh yeah, that number doesn't include the 207 block or any of the work I had done to it because I re-used it in my stroker build, with that and the parts I re-used. that was another $1000, I wasn't including the 207 heads either because I got them for free and just paid the machine work and the cams, and valvetrain is a wash with the parts from the other motor. I think if I totaled it up I'd be somewhere right around $11K-$12K (including value of the heads)

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#117 Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hmmm I think I paid $300 for just a used bare block, didn't even have case bolts in it...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#118 Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

You guys are just going to town while I am in the big apple on vacation.
Well, lets just say this...
Short block, CP pistons side and top coated by swaintech, carrillo rods, the 09 short block came with a nitrided crank, ACL bearings, had to pay for the heads to be tanked and inspected, ported/reshaped the heads, valves with iconel exhaust valves from SuperTech, the builder charged extra to set the valve lash with the cams, GSC Stage 1 Cams, new buckets/shims (whatever my heads needed), valve seals, new timing belt with pulleys, new water pump, new oil pump, new oil assembly, new oil pan, 20 hours of labor for removal and installation of engine, inspection of the turbo by Blouch, half off on a new Dom 3 turbo because of salvageable parts, two oil changes, two oil filters, master gasket set, and a protune.

Does that sound like 5-6k? I don't have a exact amount on hand...but, do I need to say what the damage was? I'll just call it basically 13k. I'm also paying for someone else's experience and knowledge that has done this sort of thing more than a few times before. I don't have the time to piss around and try to get all of this stuff done myself. It took a long enough wait for it to be done by someone else. It'd take twice as long if I had to do it...the way my job is working me lately. Plus, the bearing shavings were in my oil which is why everything oil related was changed out.

Kirt
#119 Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Vacation, what the hell is that?...lol
Other than machining the block, cleaning the heads, new valve guides and crank balancing I did everything else myself, so I think that's where I saved a bunch. Again if I had to add up how much plus labor I'd be real scared to see that bill...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#120 Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

If all I wanted was the short block it would've been 4k probably. Again, I don't have the info in front of me.

Kirt