So...I must admit my guilt - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Keith not to be a dick, but check his signature. Its the 2.5XTR from blouch.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Keith not to be a dick, but check his signature. Its the 2.5XTR from blouch.
Well poop. Guess I missed that some how...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#48 Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Chris: why are you coating the chambers and valve faces? Is it the same stuff that you had done to your pistons?
Same as the coating on my piston domes, SBC from Swaintech. It's just to keep as much head out of the heads/pistons and into the exhaust tract as possible. Gains are minimal but I'm looking for as much as I can get out of it, so it's worth it to me.

-Chris
#49 Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Same as the coating on my piston domes, SBC from Swaintech. It's just to keep as much heat out of the heads/pistons and into the exhaust tract as possible. Gains are minimal but I'm looking for as much as I can get out of it, so it's worth it to me.
Is that what you meant? I never heard of anyone else doing that. I'll be interested in seeing how yours turns out. Does anyone here really like/use GSC cams? Chad said he uses them all the time on the EVOs and is a good friend of the owner. So, he trusts him and says they are a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Well poop. Guess I missed that some how...
Its tucked away in my sig. Some people might not even understand what it means. !Laugh! Its also in my profile

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#50 Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Is that what you meant? I never heard of anyone else doing that. I'll be interested in seeing how yours turns out. Does anyone here really like/use GSC cams? Chad said he uses them all the time on the EVOs and is a good friend of the owner. So, he trusts him and says they are a good price.
Yeah, and I meant TBC coating. GSC cams are good, most guys use them or Kelford if they want to spend the coin over BC stuff. I don't want to spend that much on cams so I'm going with BC.

The only cams I've ever heard of an seen fail are Cosworth cams.

-Chris
#51 Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Yeah, and I meant TBC coating. GSC cams are good, most guys use them or Kelford if they want to spend the coin over BC stuff. I don't want to spend that much on cams so I'm going with BC.

The only cams I've ever heard of an seen fail are Cosworth cams.
Quite interesting that Cosworth would have a cam failure.

Kirt
#52 Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosworth Cam Fail! - NASIOC

That seems to be the way they break when they do... Right in half.

-Chris
#53 Old 07-23-2011, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Holy Fail...thats bad. I used to think so highly of them. I'm glad that I didn't opt to get Cosworth heads with their cams in it now. I'd be so pissed off that I spent that kind of money for a broken cam.

Kirt
#54 Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Over the last couple of years Cosworth has gone to crap. I believe they were bought by another company and have since seen the quality go down hill.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#55 Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

That is sad if its true.

Kirt
#56 Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I'm finally really getting back to logging on here. We're planning a wedding on my end and sadly I don't have my motor back yet, but I was super bummed to read this all. You might even beat me to your build, and I've been without my car since January. I hope that this new motor drives like crazy for you. The pain going without the car is awful, and I don't wish it on anyone. I'm going to have to order myself one of those drain valves for sure. Now if there were just a way to get around the under body plastic so that removing the filter and draining the oil weren't such a pain. I guess the lesson to be learned is any time we see something pop out the back of the car we should pull over and take a look immediately. I would have kept driving just like you, until now. I can't afford to do a build like this more than once. It sounds like your, Chris' and my motors will be pretty similar when finished. I'm not doing anything in the heads though. The TBC from SwainTech seemed a worthwhile investment to me, and I owe it to Chris for even informing me about it. I hope to hear you're back on the road again soon.

#57 Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

I hope to be back on the road in 3 weeks. The all the parts are at the machine shop this week. So, that'll be the real hold up. Once it gets through the machine shop CBRD's stig builder will start putting all together. Ugh....I hope to not have to go down this road again for a long time. It's a real bitch to wait and part of it was either freak accident or my fault for not double/triple checking the damn drain plug. But, even then its a break in of the new rings...again. Then hopefully run the bum tune until the heat and humidity breaks. Then get the thing tuned for real.

I'm interested in seeing what difference head work with cams will make. I might even get a break on a Custom CBRD FMIC. Chad said he was thinking about mocking up one of their FMICs on my car while its down. That way they can have the specs for other buyers. I think he might start building custom parts for Subies now, since the mad scientists over at mitsubishi might kill the evo.

Kirt
#58 Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Just like John. My progress is slow, but supposedly the engine should be in next week. "Crossing my fingers" Since my turbo got shot to shit too from the oil starvation. It seems that I am getting my turbo upgraded to a Dom 3.0XTR for cheap like less than $900 cheap. Holy win that is cheap and Chad said he figures it makes more sense to get that turbo and raise the redline with all the headwork and cams that I have. So, it sounds good to me. I'm pretty much going to have what Chris is building up. They are going to make a custom FMIC and install it on my car after the pistons get broke in.

Kirt
#59 Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

I declare copyright infringement. You'll be hearing from my lawyer.

-Chris
#60 Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Don't worry....I won't run E85. Sorry that great minds think alike. !Laugh!

Kirt