So...I must admit my guilt - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 174 Old 06-27-2011, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
i still dont get it. it just wasnt tight or what? i use a new crush washer everytime and first it makes contact and crushes a little, then turn a little more and it crushes on down all the way. its just a horrible situation regardless!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 174 Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
So, the bad news is that the crankshaft was trashed with two broken rods and bearings. It looks like the right path at this point is a new short block again. The heads and turbo appeared to be ok. But, they were not inspected yet. ::Sigh:: This is going to be a expensive oil change....Its definatly going to make me think twice before lowering the car the next time I change the oil. Double and triple check it.
May I leave a suggestion here for you.....????

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #18 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Kirt, you know what path you should take....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #19 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
there is no such thing as just a bearing replacement, consider yourself lucky if you don't have to replace everything because the particulates from the bad bearings get into the circulation of the oil and go everywhere
Yeah, I was trying to be optimistic? I'm learning that now Matt. Well, I noticed the sound pretty early on. But, realistically I probably should've left the car at home and got a rental to go to the rally events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
i still dont get it. it just wasnt tight or what? i use a new crush washer everytime and first it makes contact and crushes a little, then turn a little more and it crushes on down all the way. its just a horrible situation regardless!
I used a new crushwasher and I thought I tightened it. But, I didn't get crazy with it. I should've muscled it on somemore. Maybe give it two good "muscle it on" attempts from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
May I leave a suggestion here for you.....????
Sure, suggest away Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Kirt, you know what path you should take....
Well, the right path. Which looks like a new shortblock. I think i'm just going to go for it and get the head and cam work down if the heads come back ok from inspection. Blouch should also be inspecting the turbo sometime today or tomorrow.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #20 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Are you looking into just a basic shortblock *cough*2.3L*cough* with the normal forged pistons????

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #21 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well, my car runs a 2.5L engine normally. EJ257 But, I'm assuming the builder will be putting in forged pistons and I'm not sure if he'll do the rods again or not. This builder is different than the last builder. I don't know if stepping it down to a 2.3L with my heads would be that benefical. Plus, I'm hoping to get the head work with cams done also. If its not going to rape the bank.

Kirt
post #22 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What happened to what's his name you and I spoke of?

Or even a Crawford block

Anything is going to break the bank

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #23 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Not sure who you are talking about Paul. A Crawford 2.7L would definatly break the bank and I wouldn't do that or Cosworth unless I needed a whole new longblock. I have a nest egg that I might have to excede this time. But, at least it eases the blow this will be financially and I might even be able to pay for all of it if it stays under 11 grand. Now, thats a nest egg.

Kirt
post #24 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Axis or RAW.... Maybe it was RAW... Ron.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #25 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Well, my car runs a 2.5L engine normally. EJ257 But, I'm assuming the builder will be putting in forged pistons and I'm not sure if he'll do the rods again or not. This builder is different than the last builder. I don't know if stepping it down to a 2.3L with my heads would be that benefical. Plus, I'm hoping to get the head work with cams done also. If its not going to rape the bank.
Stepping down, ouch that hurts man....!Cry!!Laugh!
What was wrong with the rods? Head work, shmub work, a good flowing head will help any engine, just at slightly different rpm ranges...

RAW is gone. Ron took off to Europe to get away from all the people he screwed over....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #26 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

No offense Keith. But, it would be stepping down in a way. Nothing was wrong with the rods persay...but Ron used pauter rods last time in the stage 3 engine that he used to build. The new STIG builder...I don't know what he will do. If he wants to keep the stock STI rods or go forged. I want head work because its ripped apart again and it might as well be done while its apart. I hope to never rip it apart again.

Yeah, Paul. Ron ran off about 2 months after my engine was built last time. He went to Europe and he is MIA. People were trying to hunt him down, but I haven't heard anything about him lately. Plus, people over at nasioc said that Ron Williams wasn't his real name and he went back to his real name once he was back over seas. I can't remember what they claimed he changed it to.

Kirt
post #27 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wow... I find it hard to believe someone would go all out like that just for building engines.... So Ron built your last one Kirt ... got it.

Not that NASIOC is known for it's truth most of the time.... nice to know though.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #28 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, Ron built my last engine. Built a hand few more then scrammed. Its a shame what he did...but, it can't be changed now.

Kirt
post #29 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
No offense Keith. But, it would be stepping down in a way. Nothing was wrong with the rods persay...but Ron used pauter rods last time in the stage 3 engine that he used to build. The new STIG builder...I don't know what he will do. If he wants to keep the stock STI rods or go forged. I want head work because its ripped apart again and it might as well be done while its apart. I hope to never rip it apart again.
I understand what your saying and that's perfectly understandable. Depending on how much power your looking at making a set of stock STi rods would be good for most applications. I don't understand why people buy expensive rods and then not use them to there full potential. After all the factory rods and crank are pretty tough, but it's me were talking about....!Laugh!

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #30 of 174 Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

They are though. The rods only really break under a lot of knock or bad detention issues. Under good working conditions they will last. Because subaru put in a good crank and forged rods OEM, but decided to put in cheap ass pistons in it. Doesn't make sense to me.

Kirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement