So...I must admit my guilt - Page 10 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 174 Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I have a final TMIC tune scheduled for next tuesday. Time to see what this baby can do with a long block and new turbo. Then I can finally update my profile. Next mod will more than likely be a custom CBRD FMIC with Chad saying they can modify my APS CAI into a short ram or make a new intake and a new FMIC tune. Compare the differences with a TMIC vs FMIC. Marketing ploy for Blouch because they will probably more than likely sell the same specification FMIC after mine gets made for cheap. Basically I won't have to pay for any of the R&D just the actual part.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 174 Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sounds like a plan man... Hope you get some really good results.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #138 of 174 Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Oh, I'm interested in what this set-up can do on a TMIC.

Kirt
post #139 of 174 Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

So, a little longer of a wait then what I was hoping for. My tuner got behind on some work and I have to come back at a later date. But, just view this thread for the update. The numbers...

I don't feel like double posting the same information.

Kirt
post #140 of 174 Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

So, my tuner (Chad) let me know that my FMIC core came in and I swung by to take a look at it today. My crappy Blackberry photos are below. I added the brakecleaner can to the picture so you can get a sense of scale. Now, all they're waiting on is the metal and pipes. Brent, CBRD's welder will weld the end caps on and the pipes. But, they will test fit and mock it up a few times to make sure they're happy first. Oh...enjoy the crappy bumper beam picture at the end. LOL

Kirt

Last edited by turmic; 01-13-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: can't spell
post #141 of 174 Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Have them weigh that heavy bumper beam. Nice core BTW.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #142 of 174 Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Man, so much more room behind that bumper beam than the 09's.

You end up with a garrett core Mr. High roller?

-Chris
post #143 of 174 Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yes, a garrett core. Its the exact same FMIC core that is in the EVO that is in this month's Modified magazine. Chad said they'll probably have to trim the bumper beam still a little. But, yeah I didn't realize it had that much room. Garrett rates their cores and Chad said this core is rated at 800hp. Should be way more than what I need.

Kirt
post #144 of 174 Old 01-13-2012, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My only advice, see about getting baffled end tanks like this:

Treadstone E1245 Intercooler Endtank- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

It splits the airflow from the inlet so it's better distributed through the core.

-Chris
post #145 of 174 Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hmm...very interesting. Good to know.

Kirt
post #146 of 174 Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I've discussed the baffled end tanks with my tuner and he has said they don't work as described. They've experimented with them and found it to be un-necessary. ::Shrug:: So, it looks like a no go on my FMIC. Thanks for the suggestion though Chris.

Kirt
post #147 of 174 Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'd like to see them tell Corky Bell that one then... odd

-Chris
post #148 of 174 Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I don't know. He's told me that he rarely uses them. That they've experimented with them and haven't seen the results that was described. So, it sounds like he has used them and hasn't seen the difference on the dyno. Weird....but, I'll take his word for it.

Kirt
post #149 of 174 Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

The only time it seems to really help vs a non baffled is at low boost situations. Under full boost, without the baffle, you can bet you're filling up the while IC. Low boost, however, the air doesn't need to expand just to fit into the core, so it goes straight into the fins from the input end tank, generally only utilizing half the core. It may only use half the core, but it doesn't need to use more than that in that situation.

Probably one of those minimal gains for the added expense situations. Just like TGV's. Is pulling the manifold, porting the tgv's, sealing the holes, and putting it all back together worth the 5hp? Probably not, unless you already have a reason to have it all apart.

That being said, I would baffle my end tank if I was building a core from scratch like that. It's only about a $20 difference since you only need it on the input side of the core, and it definitely doesn't hurt performance. I wish I could have put one on mine, but oh well. It's a small enough core that it won't make a big difference.

-Chris
post #150 of 174 Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Gotcha...well, my core is way over the size and rating that I think I'll ever use it for. So, while it'd be nice to have. I just won't push for it because I'd rather not get into a arguement over it. Chad and myself will talk about what parts and what direction to go with. So, its not like he's ever forcing my hand if I have a say in the end.

Believe me....some people go there and tell him they won't change a thing and he'll run the car on the dyno unless he believes its a safety hazard to him and his employees. You just can't tell certain people anything even if he's seen it first hand for years.

Again, I appreciate the insight Chris. Oh and Chad says they'll be using a synapse FMIC BOV. He runs those on all of his EVOs because he sees a lot of problems with leaky EVO BOVs. Synapse or APS BOVs are the only EVO BOVs he trusts at this point. So, It looks like I will be running one of those at this point.

Kirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement