So...I must admit my guilt - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
So...I must admit my guilt

Much like John's (man_show) post in the drivetrain forum. I too have experience some set backs with my car lately. It actually happened the day that I left to go up to the rally. I changed my oil earlier that day before I left with my girlfriend; side note is that I've changed my oil since I was 16. So, I'm not that much of a dummie. But, the confusion happened when I drove up the highway and I heard a pop noise. I saw something rolling behind my car. So, I was confused to what that was. I made my way up the highway and very shortly after hearing the sound I saw white smoke coming out the back of my car. So, I took the off ramp and tried to find a spot to pull over. I heard my engine make a weird noise and stall. It turned back over and I pulled into the gas station. Shutting it off again to coast it into a parking spot. Where I noticed small puffs of smoke come out the hood. I was freaking out and called my dad to come and help us. I got the car jacked up before he got there and saw that the oil drain plug was what popped off the car. My car was covered in oil underneath. My dad and I got a new drain plug and new oil. The car started and sounded ok after a brief rough sound at start up. My dad said there was no way to know if the car was ok or not. I was skeptical that the engine was already screwed. But, since I didn't have any time to change the plans. I continued to drive up to the rally on thursday night. Made it there fine, the car drove fine friday, and drove fine up to about 3 pm saturday. When I started to hear a knock sound. I pulled over and had a car pull up and ask to help. Here it was two out of state Subaru mechanic from a dealership. They listened to it and said the knock sounds like a rod or bearing failure. The two guys said sorry for my luck and it'd be best to get the car towed or attempt to drive it back into wellsboro and risk damaging the heads. They left and I tried to see how the car would move. It sounded worse, so I turned it off, and luckly got a ride back to the Tioga Fairgrounds through a very nice representative of Rally America Mr. Hearst. He got me some phone numbers for local tow trucks. I had the car towed back to York that night for a good price and the car is now finally weeks later stripped of the engine at CBRD.

Where the turbo will be sent back to Blouch to be inspected and the engine is being shipped friday to Chad's new engine builder. Who is classified at this point because he will do the business but does not want the word of mouth business. Why would he want that? Because Chad said its a guy from Chad's history in road racing that builds engines for SCCA and Rally cars. He has built two EVO engines and chad said that after break-in they were the smoothest running built EVO engine he has heard. So, Chad has confidence in the guy. This builder will inspect the whole long block; including tanking the heads. I'm just hoping it is mostly just a bearing failure. But, I guess I will find out soon enough. Wish me luck. I miss the car and want it back asap. The only good thing is that if the damage is low, I will have have head work done before putting the car back together. Maybe a small bright side to a series of bad luck.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
My first built motor failure was more or less the same thing except I don't know how I was low on oil and I didn't hear it knock so I drove from miami to daytona beach effectively toasting everything from the cams to the crank

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 06-21-2011, 03:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Whoos forgot to mention how shitty it is to hear this news, but on a bright note GT5 tonight?

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
That sucks man. Hope it all works out okay. Did you get a chance to inspect the thread holes on the oil pan to find out why exactly it popped off?

I changed the 4runner's oil and somehow ended up cross threading the pan the past weekend. Ordered a new pan after I saw the leak. Doesn't matter how many times we do something or how good we're at it. Mistakes happen.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
Man that sucks.
Did ya at least enjoy yourself at the Rally?

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
Rebuild in progress....

Chuck.
#6 Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah not a good thing to have happen. If you need a hand or some spare parts I have a complete engine that needs rebuild that I could give ya some parts off of...
I remember when I over boosted at the drag strip. Hand drop drags at KVD I got 3/4 the way down the track and BAM!!! made the most unholy sound and I knew right there what it was. Guys at the track were all, "man that sucks looks like your walking home...LOL!!!" Notta I drove the car home 1hr 15 mins. Subaru motor are pretty darn tough and that to me proved that I needed to stick with it...Hey it got me home in one piece....

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Matt: I lost all my cars on GT5 when my ps3 crashed. Paul gave me a STI RM and thats all I have right now.

I enjoyed the rally. Just look at all the pics and videos I posted up in the hangout.

I made sure I lightly threaded the drain plug back in with two fingers until it caught the threads. Turned it with my hand and then used a long handle socket wrench; probably about 16-18" long handle to tighten it down. I didn't want to over tighten it but, I think now that I should've just wrenched that b down tight. Next time it will be wrenched on tight as tight as I can get it. I lost all my Motul 8100 x-max oil on the highway. I just want the car back. I drove less than a mile probably after the pop sound. But, it was more than enough to eff something up.

Kirt
#8 Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
D'oh! When you put everything back together, maybe you should invest in a Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve: QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

...no need to worry about stripping threads or drain bolts popping off - just flip a switch and you're done. You could always get an extra clip to secure the lever if you feel the need to.

Best of luck getting everything sorted out!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#9 Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ These are the bomb Kirt... Get one... Seriously.

That does blow... Sorry to hear about it. Can't believe you waited this long to post about it. It may not even have been your fault.

Live and learn.

I stay clear of boulders now

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'm definatly interested in getting one. Thanks for reposting the link man show. I think Dum Dum actually was the original person to post that link up.

Paul: I wanted to wait until I knew what was happening with my car until I posted anything though. A little over a day and my engine should be on its way to the engine builder.

Kirt
#11 Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
After 3 weeks, my trans should finally be in the hands of the trans builder at IAG today too - I bet my Scoob will be back on the road before yours Na na na na na naa

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#12 Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Probably, but you have been without for extra week as well. My stuff is being shipped out of shop to be fixed. So, that will slow down my repair. But, I know it will be in very good hands at least.

Kirt
#13 Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Hey when you go a total of 27 months without your car, or 15 months at a time, talk to me, lol. But to John and Kirt, good luck with your cars guys. Very eager to hear that you get them back and how things go with them.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

So, the bad news is that the crankshaft was trashed with two broken rods and bearings. It looks like the right path at this point is a new short block again. The heads and turbo appeared to be ok. But, they were not inspected yet. ::Sigh:: This is going to be a expensive oil change....Its definatly going to make me think twice before lowering the car the next time I change the oil. Double and triple check it.

Kirt
#15 Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

there is no such thing as just a bearing replacement, consider yourself lucky if you don't have to replace everything because the particulates from the bad bearings get into the circulation of the oil and go everywhere

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt