Subaru WRX Forum banner

Shopping list for swap with pics of the swap

7K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  mattxander12 
#1 · (Edited)
As most read theres a lot of my 2.0 blew up and now i want to go Sti block and then a month later the post comes up block is in car is great, but what is missing in all the build post is a shopping list of what is needed. Now have to do this swap cause will my 2.0 blew up and Ive search NASIOC,Clubwrx,iclub,scoobymods and now here with out any real answer on what is need. The post mainly turns into the if i were you id do this. so my question is what have i forgot to add to my list that would be a must?
Sti block
oil pump
water pump
Gasket set (WRX gasket kit with STi head gaskets)
timing belt
fuel pump
fuel filter
750 cc or 800 cc injectors
STi oil pan as well. Better baffled. $92
I was going to do ARP head studs but i don't plan on hitting big power levels. Later on i plan on upgrading the turbo to a 20g and to a FMIC. I'm basically looking to build a fun all around car of course later on down the road ill have to get a new transmission cause my stock one wont like it.
Oh yea mods on car as of now.
Full 3 inch cat less exhaust
Helix bell mouth down pipe
Helix up pipe
K&N drop in filter
Cobb AP protuned
Perrin IC hose kit
But any and all help on this matter would be great as I'm placing my order Mon morning and would like all the parts to arrive at the same time so i can get my car back on the road.

Tools so far needed to do this
basic socket set
Breaker bar
10 mm Allen wrench
1 1/8 open end
12pt 14mm
6mm bolt for the clutch pin
24mm extra deep for oil cooler
22mm for crank pulley

See less See more
#6 ·
Figured id go ahead and make a little enjoy my head thread out of my shopping list thread that i hope to update with pictures so maybe it will be of some help to other that might attempt this project in the future. fair warning my writing and spelling skills sucks so bare with me

Not to sure how fast this ones going to move but im going to try and take pictures and write something everytime i touch the car.Pictures will be added as soon as i start tearing the car apart.
Sep.17 2006 : Oil pressure droped from 80 psi to 40 psi. Ended up with the knock of Death. Called Amber had her dad bring the truck and trailer and off to the house we go.
Sep.18 2006: I decided my best route of travel with this car is going to be full Ver. 7 Jdm Sti swap including Morot,ecu,harness,6 speed transmission,brembo brakes all the way around and Sti pink suspesion.( looking for a package deal on all the parts). Got home from work took the subie off the trailer 5 psi oil pressure on idel and 80 psi on start up which should be 110 on start up and 30 on ideal.
Sep 19 2006Pulled most of the small stuff off so i could get the the motor mount and get ready to get the old motor out. only worked on it for about 30 to 45 mins so not alot was done, but more then I figured id get done.
Tomorrow should be the alternator and everything on top and get it done to pretty much nothing but block heads and transmission.

Sep 23 2006 Got all the coolant lines fuel lines and all wires disconnected All that is needed to be removed now it the Bolts to the drive shaft the transmission mount and motor mount and Out she comes. Its actually alot eaiser then i thouhgt i working in between storms today so im only able to work on it for about 20 mins at a time.

Hopefully later on tonight ill be posting the pics of an empty engine bay

Its ready to come out except for some reason one of the motor mount bolts is stripped so now i have to deal with that....and not to mention the damn weather

Ran into a snag while pulling it out seems the transmission didnt want to let go. Ill finish it up tomorrow.
I got it to seperate but not lal the way something on the bottom is sticking but it started raining so i had to stop for a few

#8 ·
Well today decided to start breaking the motor down and learned a little something. When taken Intake maniafold off there is no reason to undo the Fuel rails. 4 12mm bolts on each side and everything pops right off.
anyways heres a few pictures i took alot more then this mainly for how the hell did this go referance type but all in all this i sgoig to be a semi easy hard job but im learning.

Then my favorite of the day

#9 ·
Shopping list

What I don't see on the list is.....

clutch
head work/
valves
springs
ext.
Just my 2 cents. But you have the motor out. So a new clutch will be easy. And with more power you mite need it.

And if your getting a new block you dont want to put old heads on. The last thing you want is a valve dropping in a new motor.

#18 ·
DesiSuperman said:
is all the stuff in your shoppin list a must? or could you just switch out the block and keep the rest stock?
Not a must but i got almost 80K on my car so I figure i might as well make everything new and be on the safe side, now yea the injectors are not a must but while the car is tore apart why not replace the things you plane on replacing in the future its alot easier to get to. Now keep in mind with the stock turbo the cars going to be a beast till about 4500 or 5000 RPMs then its going to fall on its face. Of course you'll hit full spool at like 1200 or 1500 RPMS. That the reason I'm going 20g i should hit full boost around 3000 or 3500 and tuned the right way see power all the way to 6500 hopefully. But only time will tell.
If im wrong with any of this please correct me I dont want anyone getting the wrong information.

#26 ·
bigbadbuddha said:
Did you say you were going with a JDM Ver. 7 Sti??? If you are going with that then its only a 2.0L engine...
Good luck and hope everything works out... Like the way you are documnting everything...
i was going to go full JDM Ver7 swap but funds are low and i need the car soon so im just doing the 2.5 block with wrx heads. Im not good at play by play and writing but i figure most get the idea and if not they can always contact me and ill help as much as i can

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.