reuse of valve cover gasket. - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By arcticscythe
  • 1 Post By Brockton
  • 2 Post By boo-key

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
reuse of valve cover gasket.

So I have to remove the valve cover on the engine I got because the oil filler tube was broken when it was shipped but I worked out a deal with the seller but anway I want to open it up to make sure there is not any pieces of plastic that might has fallen into it just to be safe and was wondering if its possible to reuse these gaskets?
It looks good on the outside and the rocker seals look good as well.
Ive looked around to see what other people's experience was and from what I gathered is as long as it is clean it is still good since its a rubber gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If they are VERY clean go ahead a reuse it, That one of the parts I usually sacrifice just to be safe but there's nothing stopping you from reusing one that's recently been installed. If its more than a few months old I would spend the extra $50 for new gaskets just to be on the safe side.
AllExtinct likes this.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If it was both sides I would just replace them but its only the one side so I figured I would try to reuse it since it looks good.

Thanks.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I just had to replace mine on that side, do yourself a favor and replace it while you have it off. It is a PITA because of clearance. I think your motor has the gaskets for the bolts as well, get those and the gaskets for the plugs.

Either way, you should also should be using something like RTV black, not just the rubber gasket, and you will need to clean the surface of the head off and get all the old gasket material off.
AllExtinct likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM

boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Replace them! These things are bad about leaky valve cover gaskets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
AllExtinct and Brockton like this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
I just had to replace mine on that side, do yourself a favor and replace it while you have it off. It is a PITA because of clearance. I think your motor has the gaskets for the bolts as well, get those and the gaskets for the plugs.

Either way, you should also should be using something like RTV black, not just the rubber gasket, and you will need to clean the surface of the head off and get all the old gasket material off.
Its a PITA just to change spark plugs on these things I can't imagine trying to do the gaskets while the engine is in.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Home state: PA Crew

Chuck.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Its possible. Its just tricky putting the cover back on while not messing up the gasket and having to line it back on to the cover. A 10mm ratcheting box wrench is a must have though. once you have the cover off you can do all the gaskets I mentioned. I used the RTV black on the actual cover gasket only. Trying to line the cover back up resulted in the gasket getting pulled out of place around the bottom, once that was sorted out it wasn't too bad.