Rear Main Seal - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy LiMiT View Post
Just to let you guys know I took the thermostat and put the OEM Seal on it and it stopped leaking into the housing from the bottom. I filled the entire system with coolant and burped it and then let it idle and the temps were good. Then I drove her around the block and everything was still good. I looked under the car one more time and no leaks. Thank you for the burping technique psinuse. Does anybody know why you torque the headbolts the way you do in these cars? Is it to stretch them and then tighten them or what? Why are they made to stretch anyways?
To apply an even load over the block.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

Last edited by psinuse; 11-01-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: turmic made me use correct spelling....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
To apply an even load over the block.
Fixed

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#18 Old 11-01-2011, 05:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Fixed
You know I had to go back through all these posts to figure out what you meant by spell checker on the forum game....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#19 Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Couldn't you just torque it to 25 ft lbs or 11 ft lbs and then 80 - 90* twice instead of torquing them and then backing off 180* twice and then performing the former step?
#20 Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Every motor I have build sans the one that used ARP studs, I torqued the way the factory manual said to. There is a reason for it to be that way and since Subaru has been building cars longer than most of the people on here have been alive I kind of follow there way of doing things.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#21 Old 11-01-2011, 05:44 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Every motor I have build sans the one that used ARP studs, I torqued the way the factory manual said to. There is a reason for it to be that way and since Subaru has been building cars longer than most of the people on here have been alive I kind of follow there way of doing things.
Good point !! I've always thought it helps seat the gasket, and since the block and head are aluminum you want the load distributed evenly. I've done that procedure so many times with success that it's almost a relaxing zen-like exercise.

I also ####ed up an engine (an NA 2.5) using somebody else's short cut instructions. One extra 90 degree turn and the head studs snap ! The different torques for the center bolts, compared to the corners may seem silly, but why question it ?

Cullen
#22 Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
You know I had to go back through all these posts to figure out what you meant by spell checker on the forum game....
I like to keep you on your toes.

Kirt
#23 Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I like to keep you on your toes.
I've noticed this....You just like to cyber bully me don't you???!Laugh!

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#24 Old 11-02-2011, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

You wish I would cyber bully you.

Kirt
#25 Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Okay I think we have reached the weird side of the forum...I'm gonna head back over to the other side and grab a beer on the way....lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#26 Old 11-03-2011, 06:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Doesn't matter which side you go to Keith... Whatever side you're on is weird.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#27 Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Doesn't matter which side you go to Keith... Whatever side you're on is weird.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#28 Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Well I'm not planning on taking any shortcuts or anything like that I'm just interested in WHY they are torqued like that is all. It is a strange process to me is all and it makes me curious...
#29 Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy LiMiT View Post
Well I'm not planning on taking any shortcuts or anything like that I'm just interested in WHY they are torqued like that is all. It is a strange process to me is all and it makes me curious...
The type of material they are made from is the biggest reason. Again it applies AN even load to keep parts from warping and or cracking.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...