Subaru WRX Forum banner

Piston question

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  nitroushane 
#1 ·
ok this is gunna sound really dumb but, hot do you put pistons into an EJ20 block WTF cause im lookin at pics and theres like, no right way to do it it looks like, or is it just me :confused: please lemme know

#3 ·
no shit, but how do you install the pistons, like, the block is split in half with the crank sitting in the middle, now i can see compressing the pistons on one side and sliding them thru and bolting them to the crank, but when you slide the other half of the block on, how the #### do you get the pistons on the crank, or if you bolt them to the crank first, how do you compress the rings!? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dont get it

#5 ·
ok im thinking about running forged internals but thast not what im getting at, it doesnt matter what kind of piston im talking about im talking about PISTONS in general, i understand you can drive 2 through 1 side of the block and bolt them up to the crank, but what about the other two? i cant come to see how the hell you put them in, do you bolt the rod to the crankshaft first, but then how do you install the wrist pin, or do you leave the piston on the rod and install it on before you slide the other half of the block on? but then how do you compress you rings to slide the piston in

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO INSTALL PISTONS INTO THE BLOCK, FULLY! thanketh you

#6 ·
to install pistons. 1st u need a special piston tool. it looks kinda like a sleeve which, closes the rings. then u take a hammer and hit the piston with the ass end of the hammer. its easiest if u bolt it to the crank after their instaled.

any more questions just post.

#7 ·
Get yourself a STi 2.5 shortblock, you don't have to worry about installing pistons and messing up clearances. You'll starting your car and f*ck up everything and have to do it all over again. BTW, do you know how to pull the motor, if not then you should be worrying about that before you ask how to install pistons.

#8 ·
i know how to install pistons, just not in this damn motor, ok so lets say you use the RING COMPRESSOR, and compress them and slide them in how do you bolt the end caps on to the crank, theres no way to do it, even if you put the pistons all the way at BDC at each cylinder what do you do, bolt them to the crank and then hydraulically press the block together? WTF

#10 ·
no thats not what im saying, ok here see if you can follow me, i have the engine disassembled, EVERYTHINGS APART, now, i installed the two pistons on one side on the crank, and then i bolted the motor back together and i want to install the pistons on the other side, but theres NO way for me to get to the end caps because THE MOTOR IS CLOSED, now what the #### do i have to do to get those pistons in

#11 ·
On the side of the block there are hex plugs that you have to pull. I made my own slide tool to pull the wrist pin and it worked well. Let me see if I have any pictures..

Actually, I have my stock 2.0L block sitting on my floor, I will try to take some pictures and write up a how to latter this weekend.. Maybe Sunday...

#15 ·
Alright, both of you shut it. If you guys want to argue, do it off-line. You will not do it in our tech forums, understood!!!

The only reason this doesn't get deleted is because it's a very good question.

#17 ·
LiL Shoaf said:
On the side of the block there are hex plugs that you have to pull. I made my own slide tool to pull the wrist pin and it worked well. Let me see if I have any pictures..

Actually, I have my stock 2.0L block sitting on my floor, I will try to take some pictures and write up a how to latter this weekend.. Maybe Sunday...

I would really like to see some pics when you have the time to put them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.