Piston issue - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

kasp-sket is an unknown
Piston issue

Recently I noticed a ticking noise in my engine, so I took it into get looked at.
The mechanic said it had something to do with the piston (detonated, possible bearing) and to no longer drive it until the matter is resolved.
To fully diagnose the problem would require the engine to be lifted (which i dont have the money to pay for atm)
I also noticed a decrease in performace.
Anyways he quoted me; depending on the problem, anywhere from 2500-4500 .

I was wondering if anyone could give me a second opinion on the matter. Or perhaps a cheaper alternative.
Oil was low at the time and i was pushing it to 7500rpm half of the time

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I take it the car was also modified then? If said problem is the case and the symptoms you say were present, you could have possibly done damage to the engine. Depending on the damage determines your options and money spend on the project.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

headstart101 is an unknown
lol u already got an sti, srry didnt read ## profile before post........how much a new motor cost in australia? i know things r not cheap over there, i was jus there
#4 Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
You can have him diagnose it and see if it's worth it to you to do the work. Are you a DIY kind of guy? IF it is your pistons and you have a second car, I say go for it yourself. I just did a full rebuild for $2000 when ALL was said and done. It was going to cost me $3500 to have a shop order in a new STI block and replace it. It took me a LONG time, but I got a built block and better parts all the way around out of it. All it takes is time and tools, becuase you are going to spend the money either way.
#5 Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Khooper is an unknown
It is my understanding that injectors will make a ticking sound but some have the ticking sound that is loud on start up and goes away after warm up. Their problem was a cracked exhaust manifold. Hope your ticking is the injectors.
#6 Old 09-20-2008, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

2006wrxturbo is an unknown
have you done a compression test or leakdown test yet? pretty easy to do. if you can change your plugs you can do a compression test. that should point you in the right direction. I did one on a customer's 07STI. Compression was way down in cyl #4. turns out piston #4 had broken his ring land.
#7 Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 AM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006wrxturbo View Post
have you done a compression test or leakdown test yet? pretty easy to do. if you can change your plugs you can do a compression test. that should point you in the right direction. I did one on a customer's 07STI. Compression was way down in cyl #4. turns out piston #4 had broken his ring land.
Your on the same page that I am. I agree that a leak down test is in order. This way you can find out if it's a Valve not seating properly, a piston ring issue (or land) or if it's not that kind of issue..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."