Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   New hybrid build looking for 350awhp (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/new-hybrid-build-looking-350awhp-26898/)

koa2bkrb 08-14-2009 02:36 AM

New hybrid build looking for 350awhp

Ok so here is the set up let me know what ya think..

Hybrid engine swap
Custom forged pistons
eagle connecting rods
Arp bolts all around ( head bolts as well)
750cc injectors
walbero 255lhp fuel pump
custom ground cams with matching valve train
port and polished ej205 heads ( how much of a difference dose this make??)
OEm sti oil and water pump.
vf39 turbo, or APs turbo depends on how much money i have when it is time to buy the turbo.
act clucth and flywheel.
Aem true boost controller
Aem wideband 02

and for transmission i am not sure what i am going to do yet, but i would like some input, i was thinking of just getting some sort of dog gear setup, anyone got any ideas about this?

and i am sure i am probalby missing a few things, if anyone sees i am missing something please let me know... i am going to start buying all the stuff this week........ ahh i cannot wait.

My goal is to get roughly 350whp nothing crazy maybe something more one day but right away i would like 350whp.... any one got any ideas about tune, dose anyone know of anyone is San Diego that can help with a tune??

let me know what ya guys think and please point out any flaws in my plan.... any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

nagyhead 08-14-2009 06:14 AM

the vf39 will never get you to 350 whp.

Modena1230 08-14-2009 08:57 AM

I would imagine that you want a biger intercooler as well.

newtothegame 08-14-2009 10:08 AM

Bigger turbo and IC for sure like mentioned above. Im running a TDO6-20G (turboXS TMIC) 330 AWHP on a Mustang Dyno. And I really wouldnt go for a dog gears. Ask Shoaf about them though. I would imagine they are a little tough for daily driving most the time. Check out ds1motorsports, rallitek, mfactory (although I dont recommend mfactory as thier gears are shorter than stock). Or even contact adrewtech.com for what type of PPGs he would have you run for your power.

Kjott21 08-14-2009 03:29 PM

Unless you are going to drag race your car A LOT a dogbox is not the way to go. It is kinda a bitch to drive on a daily basis.

LiL Shoaf 08-14-2009 09:49 PM

Honestly once you get used to the Dog PPGs are easy to daily. Now my 6 puck clutch on the other hand took some time to get used to..

koa2bkrb 08-14-2009 11:29 PM

I am going to run front mount with custom piping, a buddy of mind is going to fabricate me some pipes for it and i am going to buy a FMIC from a friend who was t-boned by a drunk driver
he is ok but his sti isn't

And for turbo, what would be the most cost efficient turbo to get me to 350whp?
and would i be able to use the same cooling for the turbo as the stock turbo, ( oil and water cooled) and dose it even matter?

I am new to subaru i use to be a 240sx guy and into drift t3/t4 was the most common turbo i dealt with, how are the APS turbos they look like pretty good any experiance with them??

Chase 08-14-2009 11:47 PM

AVO and Forced Performance are both great places to look for turbos. Either of them will have the same lines and bolt up perfect if you buy one made for your WRX.

newtothegame 08-15-2009 12:00 AM

Dont forget about Blouchturbo.com. I have a Tim Bailey Spec TDO6-20G from Blouch. Its a blast, at 20PSI (supporting mods...see profile) I have 330 AWHP. Tim said that I have 4-6 PSI left on pump gas (92 OCT) if I really wanted it, but I wasnt looking for anything more at the moment.

Kjott21 08-15-2009 12:05 AM

If I were you and looking to make 350WHP on a low reading dyno I would look at something along the lines of a ATP stock location GT3076:
[url=http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-SUB-002&Category_Code=BCS]GT3076R Turbo Kit for Subaru WRX/STI, stock location: atpturbo.com[/url]

newtothegame 08-15-2009 12:24 AM

Pay that much for a turbo thats overkill??

Heres Blouchs list of turbos they offer:[url=http://www.blouchturbo.com/turbos/result/]Blouch Turbo Inc. - Our performance turbo upgrades and rebuilds[/url]. Check them out. The dominator 2.0 they offer is $400 cheaper and rated higher. My 20G made 330 AWHP (thats about 429 BHP at 30% drivetrain loss) on a mustang dyno, supposedly the lowest reading of dynos. Im just saying to shop around first before making a decision.

LiL Shoaf 08-15-2009 09:22 PM

Oil and water does matter. The cooler the turbo the longer it will last. Also with the water cooling it will not heat up your oil as much..

newtothegame 08-15-2009 09:28 PM

Ken what do you mean? My turbo still uses the factory lines, so its still cooled like the factory turbo, which I thought was cooled by both oil and water. Or am I wrong?

LiL Shoaf 08-17-2009 09:57 AM

NO, no, you are correct. Above it was asked by Koa2bkrb if it matters. In my opinion it does. Try to stay with water and oil cooled..

mosc 08-17-2009 10:10 AM

Shoaf's just warning against an aftermarket turbo that isn't water cooled, just oil cooled. There still are a few of em out there...