N/A ej25 swap to turbo EJ25 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chico89 is an unknown
N/A ej25 swap to turbo EJ25

I have a full N/A ej25 out of an 06 imprezza and I know that they use the same block with the STi's but they are casted different and the STi is semi closed. My question is can I take this block and make it in to a turbo 2.5 and would it be worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
You can, but you will have to watch you boost levels. Personally no it's not worth building a motor when you can purchase a new shortblock and swap everything over.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #3 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You could, but why would you run a open deck shortblock with forced induction? Its going to cause bad mamba jamba things to happen to that POS open deck short block if you try to make some good power out of it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #4 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
You could, but why would you run a open deck shortblock with forced induction? Its going to cause bad mamba jamba things to happen to that POS open deck short block if you try to make some good power out of it.
Well that's not really fair is it? Guess what engine this is:

(the answer is in the name of the file)
post #5 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Well that's not really fair is it? Guess what engine this is:

(the answer is in the name of the file)
You have two different names on that file skippy....
My whole thought is why waste the money on a rebuild if you can buy a shortblock for less and get a good warranty...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #6 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
You have two different names on that file skippy....
My whole thought is why waste the money on a rebuild if you can buy a shortblock for less and get a good warranty...
That's why I said the name of the file, not the engine code in the URL.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh okay sorry was trying to look at it on my phone and it has a small screen, kind of hard to see....lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #8 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chico89 is an unknown
ok thanks I was just wondering I got the whole engine for 80 bucks out of an 06 impreza wiring harness and all. I am getting the line bore and stuff looked at now and might just make it stock again and try to sell it.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Justin, you got me there. Are the short blocks the same on the 02-05s? I was under the impression that the 2.5 Liter engines were different though. Which is what the OP is refering to.

Closed Deck (22B Engine)

Semi-Closed (like the STI)

Open Deck

Kirt
post #10 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chico89 is an unknown
Here is just another question what about sleeving the block would tht do anything or no? I am not sure what i want to do with the engine as far as rebuild and sell for a stock engine or just part out but I am interested to figure out this stuff. I am new to the rebuilding engine stuff but thanks guys for your help
post #11 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Unless you are going to be racing the car all the time sleeving the block is a waste of money. What are your goals with the car?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #12 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Or plan on making a ton of boost. cfms with psi. Sleeving a engine that you plan on running a huge turbo on with high boost would basically just be a good idea to prevent failure. I'd say something like a GT35R turbo or larger. Not necessary, but if you plan on tracking/racing the car it would be highly adviseable.

Kirt
post #13 of 19 Old 12-04-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chico89 is an unknown
I am looking to be able to use as a daily driver but I would like to have some fun with it. I dont want it to be a track car
post #14 of 19 Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Then just get a new shortblock and be done with it. Honestly you'd be wasting money...Ask me how I know???

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #15 of 19 Old 12-04-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chico89 is an unknown
How do you know? lol