My Hybrid Project got some questions along the way - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 97 Old 03-24-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mikea1 is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea1 View Post
oh sorry another thing a assumed wrong I was thinking when you say stages everything is pretty much standard lol! Its from rally direct the ceramic clutch.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/fit...mic-clutch-kit

another issue with this is im thinking of getting also the competition lightweight flywheel? the 12lbs.. the problem is I already have a Perrin lightweight crank pulley. I have been reading they say it will be hard to tune if you "match" the two together? is this true?

edited.... "match" together I mean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 97 Old 03-24-2016, 12:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Please tell me you didn't use factory head gaskets on this build?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #18 of 97 Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Please tell me you didn't use factory head gaskets on this build?
I havent assembled my hybrid engine yet.. most probably around May ill do the swap. But yeah i do have the OEM head gasket already which im actually thinking twice of using. I was going after the cometic gasket at first but they say block and head surface should be perfect flat or else the cometic will fail... OEM gasket they say will not fail due to surface issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 97 Old 03-25-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
how you drive is 90% of how long your trans lasts.

ive seen stock 5speed hold 500hp, yet stock wrx's blow thier 5mt all the time.

there are cars running 700+hp on the stock 5 speed with this as their only upgrade Moore Performance & Race Parts - BlastPlates

learning how to heel-toe shift and match synchros can greatly reduce wear on your transmission. some say this is uncalled for for daily driving, but those same people say 500hp is uncalled for for daily driving so ignore them. everything is relative.
thanks again titter day by day I learn so many things from you didn't know about this blast plate before .. ill try to get my hands on this part I think I need it.... I don't race my car and I rarely do above 80mph again im so scared of the cops here in California ..but I do have a bad habit of doing hard takeoff from time to time.
post #20 of 97 Old 03-25-2016, 06:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
I havent assembled my hybrid engine yet.. most probably around May ill do the swap. But yeah i do have the OEM head gasket already which im actually thinking twice of using. I was going after the cometic gasket at first but they say block and head surface should be perfect flat or else the cometic will fail... OEM gasket they say will not fail due to surface issue?
Well if you are using a freshly machined block and heads then you should be okay using Cometic.

03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #21 of 97 Old 03-25-2016, 06:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Check out Southbend clutches, they're a little pricey over some but my stage 2 daily paired with a competition clutch flywheel engages like stock with 350+whp holding capacity.

Any flywheel under 12lbs will be annoying to drive in stop and go especially with the a/c on, but will be very happy in the high rpms. As for both the pulley and flywheel, it depends on your tuner for how well they they adjust for the reduced rotational mass. You may get a P0300 you might not.
psinuse likes this.
post #22 of 97 Old 03-25-2016, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

I second Southbend clutches. Although when I bought mine years back they weren't as expensive, but they are a damn good clutch.

03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #23 of 97 Old 03-26-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

[QUOTE=psinuse;564489]Well if you are using a freshly machined block and heads then you should be okay using Cometic.[/QU

btw. how much HP OEM gasket can handle?
post #24 of 97 Old 03-28-2016, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboTuner View Post
Check out Southbend clutches, they're a little pricey over some but my stage 2 daily paired with a competition clutch flywheel engages like stock with 350+whp holding capacity.

Any flywheel under 12lbs will be annoying to drive in stop and go especially with the a/c on, but will be very happy in the high rpms. As for both the pulley and flywheel, it depends on your tuner for how well they they adjust for the reduced rotational mass. You may get a P0300 you might not.
thanks bro .. so southbend is better than competition?
post #25 of 97 Old 03-28-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

So i'll start assembling my crank tom. I would like to confirm this.. I have a Manley rod the data sheet says the torque should be 90lbs. but I have been reading around most recommend the torque should be 65lbs with 30W oil or 45lbs with ARP lube.?

I'm off only Mondays i'll start with the tom. next week i'll assemble my block.
post #26 of 97 Old 03-28-2016, 07:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
Quote:
but I do have a bad habit of doing hard takeoff from time to time.
hard takeoff's will do more damage to a tranmission than going fast ever will.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #27 of 97 Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

its been several months and I'm still not yet done with my hybrid project cant seem to finish it due to work. Anyways I'm done with my short block. Just a quick question. Can I use JDM heads for this hybrid project? with JDM cams and cam gears? Its an EJ20 still so it should be the same with USDM right?
Attached Images

post #28 of 97 Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
im pretty sure u can use JDM heads but you will still need them chamber matched and youll need a JDM ecu.

JDM heads would be better due to the bigger ports and better cams. your problem will be the AVCS. the usdm ecu wont run avcs and im not sure how the jdm ecu likes hybrid builds. i have never heard if a jdm hybrid build.

you're right about the EJ20 part. if i was to hazard a guess, everything should bolt together no problem and fit in your engine bay. wire in the avcs like you would an EJ207, plug in the JDM ecu, and then fire it up and tart tuning.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #29 of 97 Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
im pretty sure u can use JDM heads but you will still need them chamber matched and youll need a JDM ecu.

JDM heads would be better due to the bigger ports and better cams. your problem will be the AVCS. the usdm ecu wont run avcs and im not sure how the jdm ecu likes hybrid builds. i have never heard if a jdm hybrid build.

you're right about the EJ20 part. if i was to hazard a guess, everything should bolt together no problem and fit in your engine bay. wire in the avcs like you would an EJ207, plug in the JDM ecu, and then fire it up and tart tuning.

okay brother I think its time for me to be honest i'm actually done with my project. my boss wont let have a week leave vacation for me to finish my engine.. so what I did I got myself a fresh JDM low millage engine took it apart to completed my hybrid. now I don't have to ask my boss a week off I can probably do a whole engine swap in 1 to 2 days. Before getting the JDM engine I did a research and ever thing should be the same. Now here is my major problem I was doing a compression test yesterday and sad to say air is coming out again from the intakes all of them. I don't know if I bent all of my intake valves which I triple checked the timing belt alignment and they are still pretty much aligned. or stupid me I could have switched the cams intakes/exhaust on both sides. Because its like the piston is going up already and the intake valves are still in the open position. I think the pistons have traveled half the cylinder already before the valves will totally close. right now I'm thinking the JDM Cams or cam gears might be different from USDM. really need help on this one
Attached Images

post #30 of 97 Old 07-26-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

btw. my JDM heads are non AVCs

and install a gates racing belt .. replace the OEM intake/exhaust with GSC valves... and lastly I replace the JDM timing sprocket with a USDM.
Attached Images