My Hybrid Project got some questions along the way - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 Old 12-25-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mikea1 is a helpful contributing member
My Hybrid Project got some questions along the way

So I finally got myself a EJ25 short block case off from a 2012 STI and im planning to acquire the following parts next week.

- JE hybrid pistons
- King Rod and Main bearing
- STI harden crankshaft

1st question should I get the 04 to 06 version STI OEM head gasket or the 07 to 13 version STI head gasket?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 12-25-2015, 07:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
get the gasket which matches the block (2012) since your machining your heads to fit the block

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #3 of 78 Old 12-25-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

oks .. I just got confuse with this one I don't know if I should match the gasket with the current block model or with an older gasket version to match my 02 wrx heads

post #4 of 78 Old 12-25-2015, 09:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
well actually... do what your builder says his knowledge trumps mine lol

dont forget to wave
post #5 of 78 Old 12-25-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

that's the problem .. I am the builder lol!
post #6 of 78 Old 03-23-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

quick update I got almost of the parts already ..my boss just wont let me go on leave for me to assemble my hybrid

I have the following parts any comments about them?

- JE hybrid forged pistons
- Manley rod
- King main and rod bearings
- sti 11mm oil pump
- gates racing timing belt
- kinugawa fuel rail

right now I cant decide if ill get a stage 2 or stage 3 competition clutch .. any advise on this?
post #7 of 78 Old 03-23-2016, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
if its a daily driver i would recommend staying with a sprung hub. solid hubs are a pig to drive and really only good on the racetrack.

a twin plate, organic clutch, sprung hub (whatever "stage" that is) is a nice setup. the orgainc material keeps things smooth over ceramic, but with 2 plates its better enagagement and holds alot more power.

dont forget to wave
post #8 of 78 Old 03-23-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hmmm.. I can't daily the stage 3? The seller said it can be a daily ..but I guess his the seller will say anything lol! Here is my block newly painted red.
Attached Images

post #9 of 78 Old 03-23-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hopefully by Monday I'll start assembling my block.. I'll post some pix of my fuel rail maybe tonight.
Attached Images

post #10 of 78 Old 03-24-2016, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

my kinugawa fuel rail .. the problem was I spent 2 weeks prepping my tgv I deleted it .. clean it.. remove the butterfly.. cut the divider plate.. clean it again and paint it .. just to find out it does not fit my STI intake manifold and the injectors.
Attached Images

post #11 of 78 Old 03-24-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

here is the problem.. the bolt mounting hole of the intake manifold does not align to the tgv .. oh well my lost ill just re-sale this.
Attached Images

post #12 of 78 Old 03-24-2016, 05:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea1 View Post
Hmmm.. I can't daily the stage 3? The seller said it can be a daily ..but I guess his the seller will say anything lol!
you CAN daily anything at any "stage", its just a matter of what u want to put up with while driving. but stages are a marketing term and i have no idea what you mean by stage 3.

is it sprung or unspring, organic or ceramic button, twin plate or single?

stage 3 might or might not be ceramic button clutch, with or without cusion.

see where im going with this? "stages" sell products... but doesnt really tell us about the item you are purchasing.

the seller is telling the truth im sure. it would defeinitely work. but have you driven with a solid hub clutch before? also what are your power goals? if your aiming for 500-600-700hp you might need a really strong clutch. so the one you have alreday selected will be fine.

your clutch is probably the hardest part to select properly for your car. its the piece that connects the car to the foot to the road to the feel of the car. too hardcore of a clutch can really ruin the way a car drives.

everything else looks nice btw i like when ppl take the time to paint things during rebuilds... unless your building a ratrod lol

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 03-24-2016 at 07:30 AM.
post #13 of 78 Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
you CAN daily anything at any "stage", its just a matter of what u want to put up with while driving. but stages are a marketing term and i have no idea what you mean by stage 3.

is it sprung or unspring, organic or ceramic button, twin plate or single?

stage 3 might or might not be ceramic button clutch, with or without cusion.

see where im going with this? "stages" sell products... but doesnt really tell us about the item you are purchasing.

the seller is telling the truth im sure. it would defeinitely work. but have you driven with a solid hub clutch before? also what are your power goals? if your aiming for 500-600-700hp you might need a really strong clutch. so the one you have alreday selected will be fine.

your clutch is probably the hardest part to select properly for your car. its the piece that connects the car to the foot to the road to the feel of the car. too hardcore of a clutch can really ruin the way a car drives.

everything else looks nice btw i like when ppl take the time to paint things during rebuilds... unless your building a ratrod lol

oh sorry another thing a assumed wrong I was thinking when you say stages everything is pretty much standard lol! Its from rally direct the ceramic clutch.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/fit...mic-clutch-kit

another issue with this is im thinking of getting also the competition lightweight flywheel? the 12lbs.. the problem is I already have a Perrin lightweight crank pulley. I have been reading they say it will be hard to tune if you "match" the two together? is this true?

Last edited by mikea1; 03-24-2016 at 12:05 PM.
post #14 of 78 Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thanks titter I always like my engine clean looking. btw speaking of HP do you know how much horse power my wrx 02 tranny can hold up? ill be replacing my tranny with a sti 6 speed one later on. im just wondering how much HP it can handle for now.
post #15 of 78 Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
how you drive is 90% of how long your trans lasts.

ive seen stock 5speed hold 500hp, yet stock wrx's blow thier 5mt all the time.

there are cars running 700+hp on the stock 5 speed with this as their only upgrade Moore Performance & Race Parts - BlastPlates

learning how to heel-toe shift and match synchros can greatly reduce wear on your transmission. some say this is uncalled for for daily driving, but those same people say 500hp is uncalled for for daily driving so ignore them. everything is relative.

dont forget to wave

« Best build? | -