motor gone bad and need advice please - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

millerjdsubi is an unknown
motor gone bad and need advice please

Ok I am new so be gentle. My O2 bugeye took a turn for the worse last week. I have considered some advice going with the 2.5block and 2.0 heads. I have a 4500 dollar budget. Not looking for a crazy race setup. Just something i can have some fun with that is reliable. Somewhere in the 350hp range i guess. I am in the maryland area so a shop in the maryland virginia or delaware would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 01:32 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
With that budget, and no engine you wont be getting that HP any time soon. Unless you get some great deals on some used parts. But then again with that power, other things (TRANSMISSION) start to get strained, especially depending on your driving habits.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
With that kind of budget, including an STi block, turbo, innercooler and injectors, (don't forget forged pistons unless you want to do this again soon,) I think you could hit very high 200's after a good tune.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 07:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Or he could go with an EJ207 shortblock which already comes with internals good for 400 whp...and buy a nice turbo injectors and intercooler and still have a little bit left over....that'd be over 350whp if done right

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ok this sounds good. I am again new to this. I was a nissan guy for a while and I love my subie just need to do more research on the tech end. whats the difference with the 207? this sounds like a good option. even in the high 200's to low 300s i am happy. I already have pink injectors and front mount so I am good there.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

yeah don't want to blow the tranny. on another note. Is that travis in the background. I use to ride bmx with him back in the day. With an old mutual friend. Anyways What would be your suggestion?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

the block assembly comes with the forged pistons correct? At least I thought it all came together block pistons crank. for like 2100 from subaru
post #8 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
depends which one...the 2.5 short blocks come with crappy pistons and I believe the 207's are forged i cant really remember I had mine replaced with Wiseco ones for a little bump in compression

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #9 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerjdsubi View Post
on another note. Is that travis in the background. I use to ride bmx with him back in the day. With an old mutual friend.
Yes that is Travis. I got to meet him a while back at a rally. Got his autograph and he apologzied for kicking rocks at me with his car during the rally, lol.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #10 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bully-Perf. is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by basic View Post
Or he could go with an EJ207 short block which already comes with internals good for 400 whp...and buy a nice turbo injectors and inter cooler and still have a little bit left over....that'd be over 350whp if done right
Or do the EJ207 as long as it comes with forged pistons which are mandatory in boosted applications. My suggestion would be Keep the same turbo , go with bigger injectors and put a decent ported set of heads and intake on it. From what I have seen in the boosted world. Good efficient heads make a world of difference with small cams and boost. The more efficient the heads are the more efficient each pound of boost is.

Improve airflow, use the small cams to keep the duration down to keep in cylinder pressure . The turbo will become more efficient due to the head work...

Mike
post #11 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerjdsubi View Post
Ok I am new so be gentle. My O2 bugeye took a turn for the worse last week. I have considered some advice going with the 2.5block and 2.0 heads. I have a 4500 dollar budget. Not looking for a crazy race setup. Just something i can have some fun with that is reliable. Somewhere in the 350hp range i guess. I am in the maryland area so a shop in the maryland virginia or delaware would be great. Thanks
Talk to these guys: Agile Automotive Performance - Tuning, Fabrication, and Parts

Very helpful and will be able to point you in the right direction.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement