Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   motor gone bad and need advice please (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/motor-gone-bad-need-advice-please-26450/)

millerjdsubi 06-16-2009 12:24 AM

motor gone bad and need advice please

Ok I am new so be gentle. My O2 bugeye took a turn for the worse last week. I have considered some advice going with the 2.5block and 2.0 heads. I have a 4500 dollar budget. Not looking for a crazy race setup. Just something i can have some fun with that is reliable. Somewhere in the 350hp range i guess. I am in the maryland area so a shop in the maryland virginia or delaware would be great. Thanks

newtothegame 06-16-2009 12:32 AM

With that budget, and no engine you wont be getting that HP any time soon. Unless you get some great deals on some used parts. But then again with that power, other things (TRANSMISSION) start to get strained, especially depending on your driving habits.

Chase 06-16-2009 12:41 AM

With that kind of budget, including an STi block, turbo, innercooler and injectors, (don't forget forged pistons unless you want to do this again soon,) I think you could hit very high 200's after a good tune.

basco 06-16-2009 06:06 AM

Or he could go with an EJ207 shortblock which already comes with internals good for 400 whp...and buy a nice turbo injectors and intercooler and still have a little bit left over....that'd be over 350whp if done right

millerjdsubi 06-16-2009 06:30 PM

ok this sounds good. I am again new to this. I was a nissan guy for a while and I love my subie just need to do more research on the tech end. whats the difference with the 207? this sounds like a good option. even in the high 200's to low 300s i am happy. I already have pink injectors and front mount so I am good there.

millerjdsubi 06-16-2009 06:32 PM

yeah don't want to blow the tranny. on another note. Is that travis in the background. I use to ride bmx with him back in the day. With an old mutual friend. Anyways What would be your suggestion?

millerjdsubi 06-16-2009 06:34 PM

the block assembly comes with the forged pistons correct? At least I thought it all came together block pistons crank. for like 2100 from subaru

basco 06-16-2009 06:48 PM

depends which one...the 2.5 short blocks come with crappy pistons and I believe the 207's are forged i cant really remember I had mine replaced with Wiseco ones for a little bump in compression

newtothegame 06-16-2009 07:00 PM

[quote=millerjdsubi;224880]on another note. Is that travis in the background. I use to ride bmx with him back in the day. With an old mutual friend. [/quote]

Yes that is Travis. I got to meet him a while back at a rally. Got his autograph and he apologzied for kicking rocks at me with his car during the rally, lol.

Bully-Perf. 06-16-2009 07:09 PM

[quote=basic;224840]Or he could go with an EJ207 short block which already comes with internals good for 400 whp...and buy a nice turbo injectors and inter cooler and still have a little bit left over....that'd be over 350whp if done right[/quote]

Or do the EJ207 as long as it comes with forged pistons which are mandatory in boosted applications. My suggestion would be Keep the same turbo , go with bigger injectors and put a decent ported set of heads and intake on it. From what I have seen in the boosted world. Good efficient heads make a world of difference with small cams and boost. The more efficient the heads are the more efficient each pound of boost is.

Improve airflow, use the small cams to keep the duration down to keep in cylinder pressure . The turbo will become more efficient due to the head work...;)

Mike

Kjott21 06-16-2009 08:16 PM

[quote=millerjdsubi;224832]Ok I am new so be gentle. My O2 bugeye took a turn for the worse last week. I have considered some advice going with the 2.5block and 2.0 heads. I have a 4500 dollar budget. Not looking for a crazy race setup. Just something i can have some fun with that is reliable. Somewhere in the 350hp range i guess. I am in the maryland area so a shop in the maryland virginia or delaware would be great. Thanks[/quote]

Talk to these guys: [url=http://agileauto.com/index.php]Agile Automotive Performance - Tuning, Fabrication, and Parts[/url]

Very helpful and will be able to point you in the right direction.