Subaru WRX Forum banner

motor ?

6K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  LiL Shoaf 
#1 ·
ok im new to wrx and i'm thinking about getting one. i read all about how the trans dont hold up to much. But if i get one i would want to end up building the moter not swap the sti motor in there. do people do that or just buy sti motors and build those let me know thanks. i gussy what i;m asking is can you build a wrx motor to like 700 awhp or not

#29 ·
Too big and heavy for the power output.. From what I've seen I'm not really impressed.. I'd rather jump to a 2.8L and a dual induction setup. NO, not twin turbos.. A supercharged/turbocharged 2.8L that is... :)

#34 ·
dualcharger would be insane. wouldnt you push way to much boost with teh supercharger and the turbo or would you have the supercharger just dump boost out a dump tube once the turbo kicked in?

2.8l
supercharger
gt42r :EEK:

hahaha that would be so ridiculous. i have a question, would there be any advantage to running more agressive cams with a stock turbo. im not really thinkg about doing it cause there are better ways to spend money but i wonder if it would yeild any gains.

#35 ·
WRXKidid775 said:
dualcharger would be insane. wouldnt you push way to much boost with teh supercharger and the turbo or would you have the supercharger just dump boost out a dump tube once the turbo kicked in?
if the supercharger is pushing say 10psi and the turbo is pushing 10psi, that's still only 10psi. It'll just be more cfm if they have seperate intakes. So the pressue is not what you have to worry about, just the AFR. And that's just a matter of the tune.

The dual chargers I've seen use the supercharger at lower rpms to fill in the powerband down low and eliminate lag. At some point, the turbo takes over till redline. some of the setup's use a clutch on the supercharger to stop it from over spinning at high rpm.

#37 ·
It is complicated and I don't have the cash to do it anymore, but I would love to do it.. My setup would have the supercharger only for low RPM to spool the GT42R and to launch at boost at the track.. Once I hit spool on the GT42R I would have and aux intake for the Turbo that would open to allow enough flow for the turbo.. As for a clutch on the supercharger that is all up to the builder you know, but not a bad idea..

As for cams on a stock turbo.. It wouldn't hurt coupled with a nice P&P... You will achieve faster spool up and better responce but I can't imagine a 20hp gain...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.