Subaru WRX Forum banner

motor ?

6K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  LiL Shoaf 
#1 ·
ok im new to wrx and i'm thinking about getting one. i read all about how the trans dont hold up to much. But if i get one i would want to end up building the moter not swap the sti motor in there. do people do that or just buy sti motors and build those let me know thanks. i gussy what i;m asking is can you build a wrx motor to like 700 awhp or not

#2 ·
You can build the EJ20 (2.0L) with no problems as long as you keep your car tuned well...the tranny will hold up well as long as you don't treat it badly...one of my WRX's has the full STI swap with the stock 5 speed in it still (2002 model) and it has held up just fine...

What kinda power/Racing/goals do you have for the car you're going to buy?

#3 ·
Thanks dude. Well if i get one i'm thing get cat back, up pipe ,down pipe. then a utec, maybe a intake. then turn up boost. and thing that go with that then save up for a new trans/ gears then build the motor then turbo. i would like to get in to 12's at some point

#4 ·
well your on the right track with your exhaust ideas and your engine management, just stay away from boost controllers cause thats wut it sounded like u wanted...with just the exhaust and the utec and a protune your car is gonna be ridiculously faster than stock

#6 ·
Here is my input.. To do what you ask, 700whp or more obtainable.. 12s, you would be better off dropping the extra cash (1500) for the 2.5L short block. To get Big HP numbers your going to have to invest in forged internals, i.e. pistons, rods.. If your going to invest in all that work and time anyway you might as well go for the extra TQ that comes with the 2.5L block.. You can use everything else off the stock 2.0L motor, i.e. the heads, accessories, everything... I did.. I'm putting dowm over 400 now with a conservative tune and look forward to close to 600 once I get retuned.. Check out my profile for a list of mods...

#8 ·
Well, yes I'm talking about the STI "Short Block".. Only the Block, Crank, Rods, and Pistons.. I only swapped out the pistons in mine and I was able to push 24 psi, however I didn't gain any power from 21 to 24 becuase of my restrictive TMIC which I just took off, however I had an oil line blow and she didn't lube well and I ended up with a cracked cylindar but all (3) shops that I deal with for help all said the same thing.. "I never saw that happen before with an STI Block".. I deal with Axis Power Racing, Element Tuning, and AndreTech Automotive so I'm working with guys that Know Subarus.. Anyway, with a stock STI short block you can be at 400+ no issues with tuning and turbo... If you go meth you can be at 500 easy with no internal work, but for 400 pistons can't hurt any.. The stockers are only "Suggested" be used to 21 psi.. After that they have been known to crack.. That is why I went with CP Forged Pistons...

Edit.. NO, all you have to change is the block. I would suggest upgrading Injectors as well, Pinks would be fine and you can pick them up easily and cheaply.. DON"T try modding your own like guys will probably suggest you do.. Fuel is VERY dangerous, if you get it wrong everything you work for will be GONE... I lost my first build up (a 2.0 block) to a leaking fuel injector and the same effect can occur with a poorly modded stocker... Spend the little cash to have it professionaly done or buy pinks if you plan to run the stock turbo, if not 800s are popular and will flow enough for most turbos for the WRX...

#10 ·
11s... Well, that depends, high 11s, mid 11s, or low 11s there is a big differance in power required for the variences.. The simple bolt on of an Ultimate Racing Stage 5 GT30R on the stock 2.0L block is "suposed" to be able to hit 11.8 in the quater, I'm in high 10s, low 11s (should be anyway) with 425whp...

#14 ·
yea but shoaf has like 20+ grand in his car with all the labor done by him remember that part. his cars sick though. theres a vid around here where he was running with a 2.5rs and stalled it on the launch :tease: and the cam follows the rs and then right before the finishline you see shoaf go ripping past at like 135 mph. !Thumbs Up it was sweet.

#19 ·
WRXKidid775 said:
you gotta have bank to push the limits. the mods are expensive but fixing broken shit is even more expensive.
It is VERY expensive.. If you want to push it learn from me and take my advice VERY seriously.. Talk to as many Subaru shops as possible.. I dealt with AndrewTech Automotive, Element Tuning, and Axis Power Racing.. Talk to places like this that have a good reputation and learn from what they tell you.. ASK QUESTIONS about everything.. Once you do all your research do it once and do it right.. If your going to build it up shoot for the stars if you will and don't sell your self short with say a turbo that you can afford now with intentions to upgrade again latter.. Generally you get 50 cents on the dollar selling used parts so that is just throwing money away.. Take your time and plan it out.. I have a couple posts with my setup that you can also look to for examples of what can work for you... With anything you chose to do best of luck and be prepared to breaks stuff.. A LOT.. I know I do...

JOHNYCAMP said:
shoaf, why must you live in pennsylvania? i want a shot at your beast...ha,ha,ha!
Once I fix the block man, Anytime.. I am willing to travel a little to meet up..

WRXKidid775 said:
yea but shoaf has like 20+ grand in his car with all the labor done by him remember that part. his cars sick though. theres a vid around here where he was running with a 2.5rs and stalled it on the launch :tease: and the cam follows the rs and then right before the finishline you see shoaf go ripping past at like 135 mph. !Thumbs Up it was sweet.

The Video.. <embed src='http://us.i1.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/player/media/swf/FLVVideoSolo.swf' flashvars='id=689190&emailUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.yahoo.com%2Futil%2Fmail%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26vid%3Dcd77d1a4c6152a7c7e6aa0f122292221.689190%26vback%3DStudio%26vdone%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fvideo.yahoo.com%252Fvideo%252Fstudio%253Fei%253DUTF-8&imUrl=http%25253A%25252F%25252Fvideo.yahoo.com%25252Fvideo%25252Fplay%25253F%252526ei%25253DUTF-8%252526vid%25253Dcd77d1a4c6152a7c7e6aa0f122292221.689190&imTitle=08-05-06%252BClarion%252BCounty%252BAirPort%252BAlteredgas%252BFlashlight%252BDrags&searchUrl=http://video.yahoo.com/video/search?p=&profileUrl=http://video.yahoo.com/video/profile?yid=&creatorValue=bGlxdWlkaXNpbHZlcmd0cw%3D%3D&vid=cd77d1a4c6152a7c7e6aa0f122292221.689190' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='425' height='350'></embed>

#23 ·
+1 on talking to suby shops. call some of the big names on the phone if they arent near year. andrewtech is the leader in transmissions then rallispec is good also perrin has built some sweet subarus ie the H6 sti i want to do a build like that. cobb knows our cars really well they may not be able to give you a lot of info but they will tell you who you can go to.
i wasnt saying pushing the limits is bad. i am 100% for pushing the limits. i tend to push them too far thats why i cant compete in snowboarding anymore, rotated vertabraes FTL
!Thumbs Down

i was just saying this hobby is freaking expensive. shoaf havent you blown 2 engines?

btw whens your car gonna be running again? ar eyou planning on a fmic?

#25 ·
WRXKidid775 said:
i was just saying this hobby is freaking expensive. shoaf havent you blown 2 engines?

btw whens your car gonna be running again? ar eyou planning on a fmic?

Well, yes I did blow up (2) blocks.. Melted down the first one and cracked the second.. And I already bolted up the FMIC.. As for getting her back on the road, I need about 5 grand for the new setup I am going to put in.. With the new house purchase it's probably going to take a while... :notgood:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.