Subaru WRX Forum banner

metal in oil, wanna build a hybrid

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  GSMNZ 
#1 ·
-Ok first off I wanna say that I'm new to this forum (any forum really) so if I'm posting in the wrong area or doing anything wrong please just let me know.
-some backround:I have had my a 04 WRX for about a year. only engine models are bolt ons so Aem CAI/invidia catless DP/Turbo XS exhaust and A tune from wicked innovation making 240whp on a mustang dyno. I was driving a few weeks back when my low oil pressure light when off (or as most people call it, the dummy light). I immediately went to put in 2 quarts of Oil and the car ran fine and still does. however a week after that I changed the oil and found some metal eraser like shaving sitting at the bottom of the pan.
-Long story short I am going to start building a hybrid block with forged internals in case this engine dies. i don't make a whole lot of money so it would be cheapest option, while still doing everything correctly. I don't expect it to be cheap either. I will also be speaking to my tuner but they are closed until Tuesday.
-my GOAL for is having a reliable engine, not with, but capable of a safe 300whp as it is my daily for college. I have 4 main routes I could take for this build at the moment and would love you guys feed back on them. I got a price from a local tuning shop stating that it would cost around a little less than 2000 to assemble/assemble a used hybrid engine and do the proper machining/valve job/timing belt etc. so please keep that in mind.
option #1: buy a EJ257 bare block for $200, install 2012 sti crank I found for $125, add new forged rods/rod bearings/ Pistons. Then use the heads from my car. and have the machine work done
option #2: buy a 2016 STI short block with 8000 miles for $500 and rebuild it. it has low compression on cylinder 2 and 4 with white smoke on startup when it was in the car. supposedly the tuning shop only did a compression test and the engine was never opened up and final conclusion was ring land failure. again I would mate my stock heads and get everything machined and done properly
option #3: purchase a hybrid long block for $800 that has an EJ257 short block with CP forged Pistons, ARP head studs and 40k miles on the build. don't remember why the motor was pulled however it does have loud piston slap on startup. though I have heard that piston slap is often a result of forged Pistons it gives me the impression that it was a backyard swap and wasn't measured and constructed 100% properly and carefully but I could be 100% wrong.
finally option #4: purchase an EJ255 short block for $350 all it needs is a crank, which I found a 2012 sti one for $125
Again, sorry if I did anything wrong please let me know and I will fix it, I really appreciate any input. remember, I'm not the richest person in the world but I wanna see 300whp and I want it done the best possible and most affordable way :) (if at all possible)

See less See more
#2 ·
hybrids are NOT cheap. there is ALOT of work needed to make the 2.5 block run PROPERLY with 2.0 heads. they require alot of maintenance and are not that reliable.

if you only want 300whp, you DO NOT need a hybrid motor. a built 2.0 will get you there in half the cost. heck even a JDM EJ207 from an importer will be almost half the cost. (which is what you should do)

option #1 is your only route. #2 is stupid. metal shavings all throughout the motor, cylinder walls gouged, no idea whats doing on inside. you could be buying a paperweight. #3 is also stupid. you do not want to put someone failed experiment into your car and hope it lasts. #4 sounds like the same as #1 except using a 255 block.

oh and whatever you do you will most likely need a transmission after the 5 speed snaps with 300WHP going through it.

#8 ·
i should say that you *COULD* get lucky with any of those options. #2 could be a simple valve problem. #3 could be a normal operating engine and the owner is just unfamilliar of how loud is should be. #4 could be piston slap like #3 and not actually a knock.

but literally you're gambling with your money, and with way less odds than any lottery. not worth it if you ask me.

actually even the EJ207 route is a gamble as its a used engine. but if you pick a well known, reputable importer, there are usually no problems.

#9 ·
Matt Miner is a smart dude and knows his shiz hence his nickname throughout the biz as subie jesus. He tuned my car to the 410whp it has today. That being said I would be against the hybrid not for any reason other than because. You are setting yourself up for more work.

Spend the 1k on a closed deck used block from Outfront Motorsports Subaru parts and services , buy yourself a set of manley rods an pistons, a new crank, cometic gasket set, 11mm oil pump, new timing kit with water pump, and call it a day.

Reactions: mosc
#10 · (Edited)
Spend the 1k on a closed deck used block from Outfront Motorsports Subaru parts and services , buy yourself a set of manley rods an pistons, a new crank, cometic gasket set, 11mm oil pump, new timing kit with water pump, and call it a day.
wow i didnt know the 2L closed decks were so inexpensive. is that the price if you send them your old case?

OP: this is by far your best option as you could put together a short block for less than $2000 easily capable of handling the power you seek and then some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.