looking for advice on 2002 wrx engine replacement - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Subaru 10103AC030 Short Block Engine - this is the part I ordered from what I understand the engine comes fully assembled in a small crate with foam padding. The engine is not expected until November 17. Once delivered I will make sure to take plenty of pictures to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Very good! thats the best way to go if your going for stock bottom end.
post #18 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictofer View Post
1) Get a new cooler, its damn near impossible to get all the metal out,
2) dont forget to replace the screen in the oil feed line to the turbo as well.
3) Water pump and timing belt should be reusable if all in good condition. After your done the build you wanna drive it about 200 miles and change the oil and filter, then again 400 miles later and again 1000 miles later
1) This, they cost about $230ish new, but cheaper than a new motor
2) Just leave the screen out, this was a TSB from Subaru at one time.
3) Epic you know how this goes....
I've been using this guide for break ins...
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 04:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oil cooler seems like a waste of money unless you plan on taking it to the track.
Could just run a oil temp gauge and use that $240 for something else.

This is what my oil pan looked like after my spun bearing and that is whats left of the bearing I had to scrap off the crank.

Pretty sure cylinder 1 was the downfall on this one as well.
Attached Images

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Home state: PA Crew

Chuck.
post #20 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I wish I didn't have to buy the oil cooler but it seem inevitable. This is not an after market part, the oil cooler is located between the oil filter and bottom of block. Those images from allextinct look too familiar. When you spun the bearing did you replace with the JDM engine? If someone could lead me to where the " screen in the oil feed line to the turbo" is it would help. I have inspected all oil lines and have found no screens a picture would be great. Also im a little confused on tuning if anyone could clarify what the difference between buying a tuner and having your car tuned I would like to know. Last thing I have read the up pipe cat likes to fail and ruin turbos/engines could I omit this with the invidia up pipe with o2 not have to retune? safely?
post #21 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

oil cooler pictures

Name:  wrx 006.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  72.1 KB
The lines coming out the side are for coolant
Name:  wrx 007.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  36.2 KB
and the inside looks like a round radiator core
post #22 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 06:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusincolorado View Post
I wish I didn't have to buy the oil cooler but it seem inevitable. This is not an after market part, the oil cooler is located between the oil filter and bottom of block. Those images from allextinct look too familiar. When you spun the bearing did you replace with the JDM engine? If someone could lead me to where the " screen in the oil feed line to the turbo" is it would help. I have inspected all oil lines and have found no screens a picture would be great. Also im a little confused on tuning if anyone could clarify what the difference between buying a tuner and having your car tuned I would like to know. Last thing I have read the up pipe cat likes to fail and ruin turbos/engines could I omit this with the invidia up pipe with o2 not have to retune? safely?
Here is a how-to on the oil screen How to: Turbo oil screen removal Yes, you can get rid of the cat in the uppipe with the invidia or you can source one used off any 04-07 sti or 06-07 wrx. They do not have cats in them. Oil cooler is a must! Try checking flat irons tuning's website for a good deal on one.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #23 of 30 Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
1) This, they cost about $230ish new, but cheaper than a new motor
2) Just leave the screen out, this was a TSB from Subaru at one time.
3) Epic you know how this goes....
I've been using this guide for break ins...
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
Heed this mans words!!! He knows his shit!
psinuse and boo-key like this.
post #24 of 30 Old 11-15-2014, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

NEW ENGINE has arrived......

Name:  wrx engine 002.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  90.4 KB
post #25 of 30 Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

The engine got here quickly, it came from Aurora CO. I am still waiting on all the other parts until Nov. 20. The plans for the Subaru have been changing daily. It is beginning to look like the new approach will be repairing to strictly stock (minus the arp studs).
This is a low mileage car that does not have one modification. It seems that these cars tend to hold their value better when left original. I am sure someday someone will appreciate finding a stock wrx that has been well maintained using only OEM parts. My last Subaru stayed in the family for 5 years, when I purchased the car it had 120k. I finally sold the car this year and my wife has been mad ever since. The car had around 250K when I sold it and I almost got all the initial purchase price back. There was one issue that kept reoccurring part failure !!!! This was my first Subaru and I have always been a chevy guy. After 3 sets of front cv axles I began to understand. I don't care about the lifetime warranty there is a reason why the axles are 49$ apiece(of shit) at autozone and the dealership is 400$. Napa gold lower ball joints @ 50$ a piece(of shit) didn't last a year. Where I live is definitely rough on a car but the OEM lasted 13 years? We all like to save $$$$ but is the effort, time, and aggravation really worth buying parts from Mexico for your Japan car? For the total combined cost of the upgrades and the value of the car, I might be further ahead with a stock low mileage sti.
brakes, tranny, suspension, interior, exhaust, tuning, injectors, intake, turbo...........The list never ends and we all know you don't get it back when you sale it. Not to mention as soon as the prospected buyer shows up and sees all the aftermarket additions the first thought in their mind is "Yep they thrashed this POS" " p.s.s. Also have some pictures of what the stock engine bay looks like and stock exhaust. Most importantly EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE BUYING!!!! That alone will save you money."
As more parts begin to show I will keep you updated on progress. I haven't opened the engine up yet because the machinist is going to assemble the completed long block with timing components. Which should entail a warranty!!!!! and since there is no core on a shortblock I got some parts the machine shop may be interested in. Hopefully the car will be fully repaired by Thanksgiving if everything goes as planned. Thanks for all the great advice, I am sure the life span of my engine will reflect the level of expertise shown in this forum.
post #26 of 30 Old 11-16-2014, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

I've had mine for almost 12 years...No plans to sell it anytime soon...Granted it's modded more than some, less than others, but if I do sell it, I'm gonna tell the buyer, "Yep I ran the dog s**t out of this car and not once did it leave me on the side of the road. Even after I blew a hole in the piston it still got me home..."
Fidrat and Epictofer like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #27 of 30 Old 11-16-2014, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

And my car still ran with two cracked cylinders - not very well though. It was smoking like crazy out of the exhaust and it had very little power, but it still got me to my destination
psinuse likes this.

John
07 WRX
post #28 of 30 Old 12-05-2014, 06:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for posting this- I'm in the same boat right now, and I was also looking at replacing the shortblock.

"Take a good look, stand out from the masses, bend over backwards and kick some asses."
post #29 of 30 Old 12-05-2014, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusincolorado View Post
While we wait I have been considering replacing some hard to reach exhaust parts.
I have found an INVIDIA up pipe (170$) and a IVIDIA divorced catless down pipe (291$)
Is it possible to run these up grades through stock exhaust system until I save enough $$$$ to buy the rest of the system?
I just saw you have an 02. The 02-03 have a unique ECU. Something about the open loop VS a closed loop system (whatever the heck that means) All I know is that it is VERY forgiving. You can slap those pipes you mentioned without fear. Just a few simple accommodating mods and your set without a tune! Of course to get the best of them tune for it with the rest of the build but it can wait. So the answer to your question is YES!!!

For the downpipe you will need this or something like it...Big Daddies Angled Cel Fix item # 18CATAD $29.95. And for the uppie do the "resister mod".

photo IMG_2395_zps909ed6bd.jpg

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #30 of 30 Old 01-18-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well I have been meaning to update this thread but until recently I haven't had a computer. I have a new one now and the wrx engine is complete. it took some time and more money than originally thought but it is done. So far it is running great. I have already racked up 1300 miles the car is very enjoyable the way it is but I want more.....Name:  IMG_2609.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2613.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  66.0 KB
Fidrat and AllExtinct like this.