looking for advice on 2002 wrx engine replacement - Subaru WRX Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-09-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

crusincolorado is more helpful than not
looking for advice on 2002 wrx engine replacement

Well I have recently purchased a 2002 wrx engine INOP. I have owned 2 other (family) subarus in the past, my wife is still driving one and swears she will have nothing but Subaru now and forever. We recently went to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb Challenge and I got the fever. I had always wanted a wrx or sti and could never seem to fit it into my budget. I am a Craigslist addict and view local ads numerous times a day, always looking for the next good deal. The other day I located a 2002 wrx wagon I knew I had to have it. The car was located at a local mechanics shop, the previous owner had the car towed in with engine and eventually ended up selling to the shop. Shop diagnosed as rod knock. The car has relatively low mileage 122k and a ton of service records included, overall the car looks like it has normal wear and tear no modifications at all, new tires,a bad cv axle, and needs a battery
So know I have a wrx but not running. When I purchased the car and brought home I immediately pulled the engine same day. Once I pulled the motor I begin to remember the basics of mechanics (don't let others diagnose your job) I found a bolt inside the timing cover and begin to wonder if the engine really was bad so I reinstalled it the next day.....
Well it is bad I believe, won't start, will turn over, and a good knocking sound coming from #1 cylinder. The timing belt is not broke and all timing marks still line up so I am hoping the heads are good.(no metallic in oil?)
I am looking for some ideas for different routes and options to getting my dream machine on the road and haulin ass. This will be a daily driver when done. I would like to produce around 350 hp when complete. The bad I am on a budget currently I know this isn't going to be cheap but it shouldn't cost 10-20k like I've seen others saying. So far I have seen new oem shortblocks for 1700$ and jdm acvs engines for about the same. Full head gasket kits are 300$ oil pump ,cooler,pan ect............
Any guidance in this situation would be greatly appreciated. I have included some pictures.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-09-2014, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Looks like she's got some pretty good bones. With your mechanical ability and willingness to find the right deals, I have no doubt you'll get her back on the road for a fairly reasonable amount of money. Besides rooting for you, I can't really help very much right now... keep us posted!

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 30 Old 11-09-2014, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
There are a few key steps; 1. removing the engine and putting the new one back in, 2. buy a new short- or longblock, or 3. rebuilding the one you have.

All options are quite involved and rebuilding an engine is a specialized task, especially if you want significant power from it.

What are your build power goals, are you comfortable removing and replacing an engine or rebuilding one?

We recently removed and replaced mine, but I had expert support (a Subaru auto tech). A performance shop rebuild the motor to our specifications, but there were surprizes once it was disassembled (spun rod bearing and damaged rod & crank) that needed to be dealt with.

It was expensive - even though we removed it and installed the new one ourselves - and was quite an adventure.

Jackstand Johnny likes this.

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.

post #4 of 30 Old 11-09-2014, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Buy new 2L shortblock, get the car running first then worry about making power.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #5 of 30 Old 11-10-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I like the new short block idea. So far the list is looking like.......
OEM Subaru ej20 short block
OEM complete head gasket set
OEM oil cooler
OEM oil pump 10mm?
ARP head stud kit

I still haven't tore down the block so the condition of the heads are still unknown.

If you have any advice on the shopping list I would appreciate it. All the oem parts seem a little much I still have found no metalics in oil I understand this will be a new engine but is it necessary. If you see anything I may be forgetting please let me know.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-10-2014, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Gates Timing belt kit w water pump.

Did you drop the oil pan?
That's a good way to spot metal as well.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-10-2014, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Go with the STI pump. i dont think its much more expensive and its an 11mm. If its spun a bearing then the short block crank rods and bearingS should be replaced. oil cooler if it has one. i ordered my pistons and rods and bearing from MAperformance.com and got a good deal
post #8 of 30 Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well today I repulled the engine and tore down. I believe I found the problem and there is plenty of metal shavings. I am still thinking OEM shortblock and a head job. I will need oil pump cooler and pan/pickup?or reuse last two. The car recently had timing belt pulleys and new water pump are these still reuseable? Thanks for all the advise I would like to only do this once.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

new pics

Name:  wrx 036.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  wrx 048.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  wrx 043.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  102.0 KB
post #10 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Get a new cooler, its damn near impossible to get all the metal out, dont forget to replace the screen in the oil feed line to the turbo as well. Water pump and timing belt should be reusable if all in good condition. After your done the build you wanna drive it about 200 miles and change the oil and filter, then again 400 miles later and again 1000 miles later
post #11 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is a helpful contributing member
I'm rooting for ya!!! Another bugeye!! And a wagon to boot!!! GO MAN GO!!! WOO HOO!! Don't scrap 'em, bring 'em back!!! Bugeyes-4-life!!

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #12 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Dam! The look of that oil pan brings back memories.
Your crank is probably tore up as well.
You pretty much have to replace or clean everything that oil has touched.
If you plan on reusing the turbo that was with that engine you might want give that a look over for metal as well.

Post up more pics as your teardown progresses if you could.

Good luck man

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Home state: PA Crew

Chuck.
post #13 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yesterday I made it to the machine shop with heads/cams. The machine shop is going to clean, deck head casings, and preform a valve job. So while waiting I have placed a parts order-

OEM ej20 short block
OEM master gasket kit (includes valve cover gaskets)
OEM 11mm oil pump
OEM oil cooler
ARP head stud set

for a grand total of- $2558.37

NOW WE WAIT.....
Epictofer likes this.
post #14 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

While we wait I have been considering replacing some hard to reach exhaust parts.
I have found an INVIDIA up pipe (170$) and a IVIDIA divorced catless down pipe (291$)
Is it possible to run these up grades through stock exhaust system until I save enough $$$$ to buy the rest of the system?
post #15 of 30 Old 11-12-2014, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
you should be able to run the up pipe and down pipe with the factory cat back and still get increased performance, although you will need a tune to run them safely. Does the short block come with crank and rods and pistons pre-assembled?