Subaru WRX Forum banner

life sucks.....time to rebuild agin?

9K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
So I was driving down the freeway last sunday and my car started sounding funny, kinda like a diesel truck. I wasnt losing power or anything but I got off the next exit to check it out, once I started slowing down it just studdered out and died. I checked for cels and there wasnt any, so I popped the hood to take a look and everything looked ok. I then had my wife try to turn it over while I was under the hood, it made a very loud rattle like noise and I can see and hear something hitting the inside of the timing belt cover. I cant get in the shop till friday but Im assuming my timing belt broke? From what Ive read if your belt snaps while driving you can kiss your valves good by. Im just out of warranty on my new motor so no relief there witch sucks big time. I just put a ton of cash in on the last build so I hope this wont be to bad. What do you think, probabley have to build a new top end or is the whole long block toast? Any opinions on the worst and best case senarioes?

#2 ·
Ouch :poorme:

Yes, timing failures at freeway speedway are certain destruction of valves, which means a costly job. If you are a DIY'er you could save a ton. I'd recommend looking at possible parts warranty on timing components, since it's usually the tensioner or more commonly the cogged idler that fails. Some parts warranties cover labor, which could mean the job could cost you zero.

First thing though, is to determine exact failure and cause, making a carefully chosen decision on who you take it to (unless you DIY) The first way you can find out if the short block is OK is to look at your oil. The dipstick will tell a little, but draining will give you a lot more info, based on what (if any) metal flakes you see present.

Typically a timing failure won't take out the short block.

Unfortunately, your description doesn't sound like a timing failure, as you would have lost power immediately. It sounds more like a catastrophic bottom end failure.

Hope it's not too bad for you.

#4 ·
I'm praying for you brother...but sounds like a diesel truck probably means the bottom end fell out on you. Especially if the noise was consistant with the revs....IE rod knock. Unless you get lucky...It'd say to strap in and hold on.

#5 ·
I'm not wishing this on anyone, but I built my old Prelude motor and 8000 miles later the crankshaft broke in half, which made it sound like a diesel, and the pulley wobbled back and forth out the side of the block. It sounds oddly familiar to me. When I built that motor I had the stock one re-machined, and the journals for the rod bearings were weakened too much and that's where that failure happened. Even though most of the other parts were like new I trashed that motor and just started with another one entirely. I hope that's not the case. I don't know what I'd do if my most recent build on this car didn't hold up. I just hope the best for you, man.

#6 ·
well its in the shop just waiting on the call. I took the right side of the timing cover to see if i could see anything, the belt looked good but was very loose. I couldnt see much else, but before I put the cover back on I noticed some metal shavings stuck to some grease. With the belt that loose I know somethings up, guess well see. It diddnt seem or sound like the bottom end as I have had two go out already on this car. First was the stock motor, she gave after 80,000 hard miles with over 300whp for most of its life. The second went out like two months after I had it built, lucky It was under warranty still "90 day warranty". SO now this is the thrid to go " if its blown" and second built by my builder and Ive only had this one for like 5 months or less. I wont be having a thrid one built by them, Im having my tuner build it this time if that turns out to be the case....... My prediction is Im gong to need a whole new motor!

#8 ·
So the bolt that holds the timing belt tensioner snapped in half. Atleast all the valves are bent, the heads might be toast and not sure about the pistons yet. so basicly new motor time. the place that built the motor said it was just a freek happining and have never seen that bolt snap in half like that and are taking no responsabilty for it. Everybody esle says that that can only happen by someone over tourqing it. If thats the case do I have cause to go after the builder for compensation, or am I just burnt because its out of there 90 day warranty?

#11 ·
I hate to agree with Keith as it goes against you and all. But he is right, I have read and seen this happen before. But of course Cullen is absolutely right about ethics, but unfortunately alot of people these days can be shady and still sleep at nite.

#13 ·
My tuner...even though I have great experiences with him. Everything is a "as-is warranty". Which is why they sub out the engine and transmission work. It will be under the other companies warranty at that point. But, my tuner doesn't go with crappy people to do the big work.

#17 ·
Ill be meeting with the managers first thing Monday to see what we can come up with. In my opinion this is just pure negligence and even if it came with no warranty they should be held responsible, guess well see Monday. On a brighter note my car is scheduled to be rebuilt by surgline November 15. Kind of a long wait but its worth it to me. I think they will do a good job, they've always done great tuning my car and from the conversations I've had had with them this last week I think they can definately handle the job...... After this there will be no selling of this car as I will have so much frikin cash into her that just thinking about it makes my eyes blur.

#18 ·
I follow surgeline pretty closely as I have dealt personally with alot of the guys when I was up in that neck of the woods. A bunch of top notch guys that know alot and are dedicated to their trade. I believe that you are right in believing the wait will be worth it. I wish I was back up there so I could have those guys work and tune my car some more. Good luck with everything.

#19 ·
just got back from meeting with my old builder and was told the best they will do for me is discount or maybe even free labor and parts at their cost. Its better than nothin but I'm not sure I want them to build another motor for me.

#24 ·
That has crossed my mind and if I can get away with it I will try. I would rather not say who built my motor at this time untill all is said and done. They are a very reputable company and have done a great job on my car other then not being able to build me a motor that can last more then a few months.:notgood:

#26 ·
I got my baby back today, and only 5,500 big fat ones...."hatin life". So for my 5g's I got my heads rebuilt new piston rings since the last builder gapped and installed them wrong, a new exedy stage 1 clutch, 3 oil changes every 500mi untill 1500 when I get my power tune, the tune witch will include maps for both pump and E85, and all the bs that goes with the build I.E. all the gaskets, bolts and cleaning nessacerry for the job. Found alot of disturbing things while the motor was apart, such as most every bolt was stripped out the piston rings were installed wrong and a bunch of other stuff that was done wrong by the previous builder. I got lucky the pistons and block was all good. anyway Im filing suit tomorrow to try and recoup some of my hard earned cash...wish me luck

on the bright side I love having my car back, she feels really nice cant wait to get the power back after my break in is compleate

#27 ·
I am always amazed at how royally a shop can #### up an engine build. I mean, it's a very complicated job and one I certainly wouldn't feel capable of doing don't get me wrong. It's just that you'd hope somebody doing the work would not be cutting his chops playing around on your motor. Especially when you take your car to shops that rebuild motors all the time, you'd expect them to at least be competent. I'm just amazed at the state of affairs where so many people put down $3k-$10k on motors that often don't make it out of the break-in period. Doesn't matter what you pay or who you trust, just seems like this happens way too often.

I understand too from a shop's perspective how they can't afford to eat the cost. To the customer, it's a $5,500 job. To the builder, it's half a week's work at probably minimum wage when shop costs are deducted. The parts cost on a job like that is through the ceiling. Asking them to eat the cost of parts and labor to re-do it can be more money than a lot of shops have! You can basically put them out of business on a job this big going badly. Reputation aside, most don't have $5,500 laying around to "make it right". A lot of shops aren't even profitable these days. I mean, a contractor works in a labor cost dominated business, he can suck up some overtime and fix things generally speaking. Car repair though? That's parts cost dominated. And generally with far looser insurance practices.

It's like a really bad marriage or something where you just scream "why didn't you get a pre-nup!". The shop sells you on how professional they are and how often they've done this kind of work and then boom. You're out $5,500 based on their BS wondering how you let yourself get into this financial position.

#29 ·
Damn man...I hope you can let us know who did the work after the law suit. Which I'm sure will get drawn out for at least a yeah and half from now. But, damn....thats bad and I'm glad this new builder is knowledgeable to spot the errors of the previous builder. I'm glad you didn't take a financial raping to get it back and you didn't have a long down time.

I hope to be off my limp map shortly....I need to put some more miles on my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.