Subaru WRX Forum banner

and let the madness begin

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  rainbow_gernade 
#1 ·
So about a month ago I killed 3rd cylinder rod bearing at summit point due to heat issues. And fighting over what to do I decided to go ahead and go full bananas on the build

Parts in hand so far....
Manley 79mm forged crank
Manley forged h-beam rods
Wiesco -19cc forged pistons
Acl bearings
Cosmtic head gaskets
Arp headstuds
Kelford 264/260 cams
Walboro 400lph fuel pump
Id 1000cc injectors
3 bar map
Turbo xs rotated turbo kit
Tial 38mm purple ewg
Garrett gtx3076 .82 at turbo

Parts on the list to get
3 core radiator
Southbend clutch disk
Tgv deletes
Oem seal kit and timing belt
2 cam bolts (ask the man show about that ordeal)
Probably more but I will add later when I remember

Pictures coming soon....

And don't ask how much a$$ I had to kiss to get everything so far and on budget

See less See more
#4 ·
Ah, the bottom left cam bolt...

At one point, I swear we defied physics. Two of us were standing on the engine stand while one of us applied our full body weight to the end of a 5 foot cheater bar and the whole thing started lifting off the ground against the direction that we were pushing down. I don't know how that was possible. I wish we had a video of it.

We also broke half a dozen tools during the process - thank goodness for lifetime warranties :D

Attachments

#6 ·
Nope. Tools that were broken are my awesome snap-on tools. Ill go over to my shop tonight and snap some pics of everything torn down. If I go to my shop tonight. Might just be tomorrow or the next day...

#7 ·
So about a month ago I killed 3rd cylinder rod bearing at summit point due to heat issues. And fighting over what to do I decided to go ahead and go full bananas on the build

Parts in hand so far....
Manley 79mm forged crankWhy?
Manley forged h-beam rodsWhy?
Wiesco -19cc forged pistonsNice
Acl bearingsGood choice as long as they are not the race ones
Cosmtic head gaskets
Arp headstudsGood choice
Kelford 264/260 camsHoly $$$$ bat man
Walboro 400lph fuel pumpLet me know how this works
Id 1000cc injectors
3 bar map
Turbo xs rotated turbo kit
Tial 38mm purple ewgNice
Garrett gtx3076 .82 at turboSweet

Parts on the list to get
3 core radiator
Southbend clutch diskSame as me will be brothers
Tgv deletes
Oem seal kit and timing belt
2 cam bolts (ask the man show about that ordeal)They suck that's why
Probably more but I will add later when I remember

Pictures coming soon....

And don't ask how much a$$ I had to kiss to get everything so far and on budget
You can't go wrong with that Southbend clutch, they are very nice. I'm not criticizing your build, but curious as to why you went with a few parts over the stock ones...

#8 ·
Rods and crank. Rods because I do not know the limit of them since it ate a rod bearing and I'd rathrr not deal with an over sized bearing and stock from dealer was the same price.
Crank is almost same reason as above. Give the machine shop fresh parts for the biuld.
What is wrong with the race acls? I have never had a problem with them.
But tonight I'm putting my wategate and turbo together and bag and tag bolts to get everything ready for the machine shop. I am wondering was wastegate spring to run. Ill just go with the middle spring and adjust from there. If there is anything I'm missing someone tell me. I'd rather know now than later when I'm going back together :D

#10 ·
The crank I agree with you but oh well i payed I think 800 for the crank and its rated for much more than I'm shooting for so I don't have to worry about it and the rods I got for around the same price of the oe sti rods.

But I am wondering why you do not like acl race bearings
And to earlier I like criticism. It makes me do my research, think and learn.

#11 ·
They filed for bankruptcy a few years back and are made cheaply now and not as good a quality, clearances are off, cheaper materials and I recommend a street bearing over a race bearing since I gather your going to be driving this on the street and not on a race track all the time?

p.s. I might add that this isn't just with the Subaru community either. Many different builders are having the same issues.

#12 ·
Quality and the clearances I have not seen the degradation in them to me. And in performance builds I have used them in chevy 350's and Nissan 300zx tt build (not mine. They were costumers cars that got built) But ill take a look at my next set or ask my family member that is on of the oil engineer for volvo.
Not arguing just saying what I have seen. I currently work at a performance shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.