Subaru WRX Forum banner

Last checks before turning over new motor

4K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  BLAZE2099 
#1 ·
Hey guys just getting down to the last few days before i start up the new engine, long story short i had a rod knock so i bought a new short block and rebuilt it myself over the past 3 months. This is only the second engine ive rebuilt by myself and im nervous to start it up and have anything go wrong so i am asking for everyones experiences and wisdom as to what NEEDS to be checked or done before the first start up.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

#4 ·
SO the motor isn't in the car yet? You have a ways to go then. As long as you checked your clearances and all your bolts are torqued correctly you should be okay. Did you label all of your wires? Did you check the valve lash and make sure they are set correctly? Timing belt marks line up?

#5 ·
the motor is fully assembled and ready to go in the car as soon as i put the clutch and flywheel on. everything is torqued and i am double checking the torque on most of the engine just to be sure, as for clearences i had the heads all checked out but i didnt check anything else, what else would i check? all the wires, hoses, and vacuum lines are labled. i did set the timing up correctly but i didnt check the valve lash, how would i go about doing so?

#7 ·
i didn't but the shop that inspected them did, he did tell me that he removed all the buckets and put them back how they were so they have not changed from the spots they were in when it was taken apart. i just did some research on checking the valve lash and since i have the service manual and a feeler guage i will take the valve covers off and check them real quick just to make sure. anything else? since you obviously know a lot more then i do haha.

#10 ·
As long as you followed the factory service manual you should be okay and it sounds like you did well marking where all the lines and wires go. That was my big mistake, the only thing that saved me were pictures i took of the engine bay as we were pull my car apart....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.