Knock Knock!! - Subaru WRX Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Knock Knock!!

I think my WRX hates me.... Drove to Atlantic Beach and back yesterday and everything was fine. Wake up this morning to go to work....rod knock...f my life....what do you all suggest for rebuild kit for a daily driver. looking for 17-18psi boost and eventually a bigger turbo and what not. I have looked at six star speed and they have some decent stuff. just wondering whats out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 11:22 AM

Garage
Damn man! Sorry to hear it. Damn subaru and their bearing failures & weak ringlands !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Epictofer likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #3 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yes, it sounds so innocent doesn't it? That dreaded knock knock knock, or tap tap tap of a rod bearing.

My car Club mates say that with ongoing motorsports involvement it'll happen - sooner or later.

I feel your pain mate, as I've just been through it.

In hindsight I would likely install a JDM low-mileage equivalent instead, to reduce the time without wheels, but either way expect it to be considerable.

Best is to keep reminding yourself that the end result will be worth it, as the motor will be better then new and worthwhile to work towards.

Options I am aware of are:

1. OEM rebuild,
2. Performance rebuild, i.e. built motor,
3. JDM low mileage motor replacement, and
4. OEM replacement.

Expect to be down for a month. I chose option 2. and it took 2 months.

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.

Last edited by LW_Black4; 09-02-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Add image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Oh were doing a performance rebuild. i do not wanna have to pull the motor and heads a third time. Its only been back on the road 1200 miles since i replaced 2 pistons and a set of rings.....i cant believe i went to sleep and everything is fine and i wake up to spun bearing.

So i guess what i want is to build the motor strong enough to handle a decent amount of boost and so i can have some peace of mind knowing i wont have to pull the motor every other month to make repairs. Can anyone make an suggestions as to build kits or is it worth it to get things seperately. ill be doing the work myself, with the help of my father ( parts and service manager of the subaru dealer i work for)
post #5 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Spun bearings are usually from oiling issues and rebuilding an engine is a very specialized task. It's done best by a rebuild shop that's familiar with performance Subaru engines, especially if you are going to dial the power up. Shops will address fundamental weaknesses and consider the target power levels.

Dealerships and most service shops simply remove and replace engines and ship them to other more specialized shops for rebuilding and assembly.

Pistons in the EJ257 motors are vulnerable to knock events and there are oiling limitations of all the flat 4s in sustained high-G cornering. That's where mine let go.

The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge - Import Tuner Magazine

post #6 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 07:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

I cracked a stock piston in my stock engine.

Then I cracked two cylinder walls in my rebuilt and bored out stock engine - pistons were fine

Now I'm rebuilding it again with brand new case halves and a whole bunch of goodies. It's been in the shop for a little over a month now, but I expect it to be back in the next couple of weeks.

As much as it sucks, it's just the name of the game man... gotta pay to play.

Good, fast, cheap: pick two.

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^^^^ Surely have to pay to play. I don't want anything to crazy. I nice 325-350hp daily driver that is reliable and fun to drive. Am i asking too much? lol. Im going to do a bit of research and see what i can find. Ive read where some people have sleeved the block and all but im not too familiar with that.
post #8 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sleeves are good if you're looking to make stupidly high horsepower numbers for a short period of time. They're ridiculously strong in the short term, but in the longer term, the differences in metal will cause head gasket leakage issues. You're better off going with a closed block.

I'm actually going to be selling most of my old 365 hp setup in the very near future if you're interested: Parts feeler... some really good stuff!

My build should be complete soon, so I'll try to post prices and pictures shortly after that.

John
07 WRX
post #9 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I am very interested in the headers and up pipe/EWG if they will fit my car.
man show likes this.
post #10 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well i drove it home from work and back at lunch time today and it didnt make it back.... i think the bottom end seized. I coasted back into the lot at work. Motor wont restart. Going to pull it Saturday afternoon and see what up....
post #11 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well I'll take a wild guess and say you spun a bearing.
If so,Congratulations u have joined the EJ spun bearing club
Mine started as a knock and ended shortly after as the sound of a can of marbles in the engine with metal shards of a leftover bearing that got shredded and sent through pretty much everything.
Needless to say not much was salvaged from the old engine. Hopefully you make out better than myself.

Good luck man.
post #12 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Okay I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask? This makes the second time you've had a motor tank, maybe you should be looking into the tune. I ran the dog snot out of my old 2L and the only reason it blew was because of my own stupidity. In any case I recommend a new motor from Subaru and go from there.
lfuller1988 likes this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #13 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
its a plain old cobb stage 2 tune...and since i did the ring lands its only been 1200 miles. Im pretty sure when the ring land cracked and it ran low on oil it caused the bearing issue, but when i pulled the motor and heads and put the new pistons in there was NOTHING as far as metal shavings or anything for that matter in the pan or in the heads. i never split the block and or disconnected the connecting rods cause there was no visible damage to anything. I pushed the wrist pins out through the access hole in the block. replaced the piston that was cracked and a new set of rings. How would the tune cause a spun bearing? thats usually due to lack of oil which i had happen when the ring land cracked.
psinuse your 2l and my 2.5 or not the same engine. i new motor from subaru is your suggestion? i think ill tear the motor down and see what the problem is before i waste 6grand.
post #14 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well I guess the quickest way to find out the worst is drain your oil and run a magnet through it.

Was it smoking at all before it died?

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Home state: PA Crew

Chuck.
post #15 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Tearing the engine down is a good idea. At least you'll know why it failed.

Perhaps particulates got into the bearings or oil passages from the 1st failure, and it didn't affect them right away. I heard that they can collect in an oil cooler.

And a new motor from Subaru is certainly the fastest way to get mobile again. It's not a built motor, but there's a cost to 2 months of waiting for one too.

Last edited by LW_Black4; 09-04-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: New motor is fast