Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Installed Brian Crower 280* Cams (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/installed-brian-crower-280-cams-26747/)

EJ Rex 07-25-2009 04:13 PM

Installed Brian Crower 280* Cams

I installed a set of heads built with brian crower 280* cams, springs, and titanium valves/locks/retainers.. haven't tuned it yet - got an appointment on the 8th of Aug, so I don't have numbers, but WOW at the difference these made in just everyday driving. They also have a good bit of lope at idle. I'll post some results after the tune.

Just a quick vid for your viewing pleasure :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhEBpz2xlsU]YouTube - 04 Subaru WRX with Brian Crower 280* Cams[/ame]

c2bcoolwrx 07-25-2009 06:53 PM

Nice. Cams are my favorite mod. I love my Kelford 264/264s, it is a great cam for my setup. The Kelford 264s are actually a higher lift than the Brian Crower 272s.

Why did you go with 280s? You planning a bigger turbo down the road? B/c I would think that 280s would be a little larger grind than you need with a 20G.

booosted09 07-25-2009 07:17 PM

its sounds mints....almost sounds like a small lumpy v8...

newtothegame 07-25-2009 08:17 PM

That thing sounds mean. Your DD isnt effected that much? I would kind of think it would, idk. When I build my engine Im going with the Tomei 250s I believe.

EJ Rex 07-25-2009 10:54 PM

[quote=c2bcoolwrx;227277]Nice. Cams are my favorite mod. I love my Kelford 264/264s, it is a great cam for my setup. The Kelford 264s are actually a higher lift than the Brian Crower 272s.

Why did you go with 280s? You planning a bigger turbo down the road? B/c I would think that 280s would be a little larger grind than you need with a 20G.[/quote]

Will definitely go with a bigger turbo.. the 280s came already assembled in the heads I installed, so I just left them in knowing my future plans.

[quote=newtothegame;227286]That thing sounds mean. Your DD isnt effected that much? I would kind of think it would, idk. When I build my engine Im going with the Tomei 250s I believe.[/quote]

My GTO is actually my daily, but driving around town is still easy, even with those cams.. the idle does drop down to around 600 at a stop sometimes, but quicly recovers- a protune will take care of all that.

newtothegame 07-26-2009 12:33 AM

Awesome, thats good to know. I might consider some bigger cams then. Still not sure yet though because I will be with my 20G (once I get it back) for awhile.

c2bcoolwrx 07-26-2009 11:03 AM

[quote=newtothegame;227298]Awesome, thats good to know. I might consider some bigger cams then. Still not sure yet though because I will be with my 20G (once I get it back) for awhile.[/quote]

It really depends on the maker of the cams b/c every manufacturer varies quite a bit. For example: Kelford 264s have more lift than BC 272s and Kelford 272s have more lift than BC 280s.

IMHO, for a DD the Tomei 252s or Kelford 264s are perfect. Also, for a 20G that is a DD I would not go any bigger than a 272. IMHO, 280s are 30R or 35R territory.

According to my tuner and many over on NASIOC the Kelfords are putting up better numbers than Brian Cower cams, due to the extra lift. Also, those New Zealand guys at Kelford have been making cams for a LONG time and will even do custom grinds.

baller_v24 07-26-2009 11:53 AM

Your car sounds bad ass. Is that the only internal work you have done? 600rpms is not bad at all on idle for cams. I think stock is 750+- 100.

newtothegame 07-26-2009 12:26 PM

[quote=c2bcoolwrx;227319]It really depends on the maker of the cams b/c every manufacturer varies quite a bit. For example: Kelford 264s have more lift than BC 272s and Kelford 272s have more lift than BC 280s.

IMHO, for a DD the Tomei 252s or Kelford 264s are perfect. Also, for a 20G that is a DD I would not go any bigger than a 272. IMHO, 280s are 30R or 35R territory.

According to my tuner and many over on NASIOC the Kelfords are putting up better numbers than Brian Cower cams, due to the extra lift. Also, those New Zealand guys at Kelford have been making cams for a LONG time and will even do custom grinds.[/quote]

Hey thanks for the heads up. Im still trying to learn the more complex parts of the car. I should be getting my engine/tranny built early next year and cams were suggested to me, just been trying to learn and understand them

And to the OP thanks for starting this thread and sharing the video, and your knowledge also. What turbo to do you plan going to eventually?

c2bcoolwrx 07-26-2009 12:41 PM

[quote=newtothegame;227333]Hey thanks for the heads up. Im still trying to learn the more complex parts of the car. I should be getting my engine/tranny built early next year and cams were suggested to me, just been trying to learn and understand them[/quote]

Definitely get some cams while it is being built, b/c it would suck to have to pull the motor later down the road (extra downtime and $$) to put a set of cams in (don't forget about new valve springs and retainers). Also, go with some forged pistons (i.e. CPs).

Some may also tell you to get all your manifolds PnPed and coated (i.e. [url=http://www.grimmspeed.com]GrimmSpeed :: Subaru Racing Parts[/url] or [url=http://www.crucialracing.com]:: Crucial Racing Systems - The parts you need for the performance you want[/url]), but that can always be done later since it is much easier to pull off the manifolds and grimmspeed even does a core exchange.

EJ Rex 07-26-2009 01:31 PM

[quote=newtothegame;227333]Hey thanks for the heads up. Im still trying to learn the more complex parts of the car. I should be getting my engine/tranny built early next year and cams were suggested to me, just been trying to learn and understand them

And to the OP thanks for starting this thread and sharing the video, and your knowledge also. What turbo to do you plan going to eventually?[/quote]

Most likely a 35R.. but I'm still researching my options. C2bcoolrex made some good points, but it's all in what you want for your vehicle.

I see more track time than road time, so I want the higher duration.. higher lift is great for flowing more air than stock, but the longer the valve stays open plays a more critical role imo. That's why you see a lot of budget swaps using V7 & 8 JDM cams over US STi cams- although the JDMs have less lift, they have more duration which makes for more mid and top end power.

As far as a company, I think BCs past was mediocre because they used regrinds.. but since then they've expanded and are using all billet cores, along with titanium components.

Kelford and Tomei are still probably better overall in quality, but I have a hard time paying twice the price for so little difference in performance. Just my .02.

I would like to say that I'm no expert by any means, so keep that in mind as I'm still learning the EJ engines.

EJ Rex 07-26-2009 01:35 PM

[quote=baller_v24;227324]Your car sounds bad ass. Is that the only internal work you have done? 600rpms is not bad at all on idle for cams. I think stock is 750+- 100.[/quote]

Yeah when I get tuned it'll stabalize the idle.
I've got a 205 block with CP 8.5:1 forged pistons, JDM STi rods, and a machined/drilled 205 crank for better oiling.

basco 07-26-2009 02:02 PM

I'm with EJRex...I'm more than happy with the BC 272 cams...my buddy runs the Kelford 272's and for the price difference theres not really any performance difference on basically the same setup if any...the only difference is I'm 8.5:1 compression and he's 8.3:1

c2bcoolwrx 07-26-2009 04:52 PM

[quote=basco;227355]my buddy runs the Kelford 272's and for the price difference theres not really any performance difference on basically the same setup if any...the only difference is I'm 8.5:1 compression and he's 8.3:1[/quote]

Edit: I reread your Profile Basco, and noticed you have a FP Green. So the VF34 thing I had DNA. Regardless, I still stand by what I said below.

BC 272s have 10.1mm of lift
Kelford 264s have 10.7mm of lift
Kelford 272s have over 11mm of lift

Both Kelford and GSC make awesome cams, you will gain more power with extra lift, the BC don't give you very much in that regard...GSC and Kelford both give you a lot of lift. I beleive the GSC lift measurements are the same/similar to the Kelfords (I just didn't look them up).

Don't get me wrong, I think BC cams are pretty good...but after my tuner showed me the gains he had from switching from BC 272s to some kelford 272s on a built STI w/a TD06H-20G...I was sold. I don't have the dyno charts and won't quote the numbers, as it was over a year ago. But, the gains were there.

Edit: My tuner also said, particularly with larger turbos (i.e. Rotated 30R or something) the Kelfords make an even bigger difference, than the BCs.

newtothegame 07-26-2009 09:31 PM

Wow, my head wants to explode, but thanks you guys. You might see me asking questions or Pm'ing to try and wrap my little brain around this stuff. But its great to have guys like you all that share their thoughts and experiences.