the Infamous rebuild - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxrice is an unknown
the Infamous rebuild

Ill make this short and cut to the chase, i spun a rod bearing in my 2002 wrx 2.0 and now it needs either a new engine or a rebuild. I have been thinking a lot about just buying a used engine with 80k+ on it but now i am really considering just buying the short block and rebuilding it. i am a mechanic and look at all engine as the same basic prinicple with different parts so i know it will be challanging but i wanted a few peoples opinion before i made the final decision.

So, should i buy a used or build the short block and use all the parts from the old engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Depends on your over all goals with this car. Start with a factory shortblock if your not looking into anything really serious...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxrice is an unknown
well its my daily driver right now and money is tight these days so im not exactly trying to drop 10 grand in it at the moment. thats in the near future
#4 Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would start with a factory shortblock then. I wouldn't worry to much about needing anything really crazy. Get your heads cleaned up and replace what needs replaced and go from there.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxrice is an unknown
okay thank you for the input. ill be ordering the short block soon in that case.
#6 Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

MasterP is an unknown
I think I can't start up my own thread.. Sorry if I'm interupting but I have a 2002 wrx also and was wondering honestly what the best air intake would be for my car?? It's stocl all except for an STI exhaust
#7 Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
As psinuse was alluding to, you could have damaged your heads as well. You will just have to tear it down to verify what all needs to be done.
#8 Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
As psinuse was alluding to, you could have damaged your heads as well. You will just have to tear it down to verify what all needs to be done.
Quit using words I don't understand....

MasterP Keep the stock one until it's need. You have a long way to go before needing a air intake for your car.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...