Subaru WRX Forum banner

Impreza Legacy swap Question!!!!!!

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Circle_Nine 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, haven't been on in a while. I have a major question I am trying to figure out. I recently bought a Subaru Impreza (1996). Currently I am looking for a Subaru Legacy (1991-93) approx. with a turbo engine. Well, my question is how do I swap the engine to put the turbo Engine into the Impreza and have it pass inspection??? Since its a 1996 i have to run it through the computer and I'm not sure how this is going to go over. I obviously need the turbo ECU but then I dont know if i can run it through the computer as a 1996 Impreza. Do I keep the block from the 2.2 Impreza and swap the intake and and ECU or what???? It's gotta be possible somehow?!?! any ideas??? Please any assistance would be needed. My dad is a Subaru Technician, he knows the cars inside and out but he isnt sure about all of this because its a little more on the advanced technology side. I'll check back soon for replays.

#2 ·
why not use an EJ20? Get a used one out of an 02+ or newer WRX and you'd be able to easily find an ecu for it. May cost a few more bucks than the ancient legacy motor but if you actually want to drive the car enough on public roads to care about emissions, you probably want an engine that's newer than 15 years in that car anyway.

They're not too hard to find. Everyone who puts in a new block in their WRX has an EJ20 laying around. Some were ripped out because they were blown in some fashion or another but should be able to get a working platform out of em for not much money...

#4 ·
well, that matters entirely on the degree of the word "used" and your ability to fix something semi-broken on your own.

If you're 16 and financially strapped, this is NOT the project you want to do. You'll spend all your money on a car that doesn't run and doesn't drive like you want it to when it does anyway. I think you'd be happier in the short term keeping the GC8 the way it is (I'm assuming it's got a running motor in there) and having some fun with a nice light stick shift + AWD car. Save your pennies and get a WRX when you get a higher paying job.

Engine swaps between an aging platform and an anchient one is REALLY not what you want for a first car.

#5 ·
true enough mosc, i'd think it'd mostly be the engine and the ecu....if the trannies will both bolt up to each other....otherwise your going to have to change the bolt pattern with a adapter of some sort. Basically...not something you can do on a limited budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.