Subaru WRX Forum banner

I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock

73K views 433 replies 17 participants last post by  ericwudi0830 
#1 · (Edited)
The Ricer-mobile Gets Built!

So this had snowballed into an all out engine build. I'm going to maintain this thread as my build, albeit a slow process.

My goal for the car is pretty simple, make me grin uncontrollably every time I push the skinny petal.

I'll keep this first post updated as things change and try to add in an index at a later time.

For now I'll leave you with the overall build list and progress to date. I'm also going to include my costs since a lot of people underestimate the cost of big power on the Subaru platform.

If it has been purchased that's the actual price including tax/shipping/etc.

Purchased:
Block/Crank - $300.00
Machine Work - $272.46
Wiseco Pistons (100mm)/Manley Rods - $769.99
Main and Rod Bearings - ACL Race Std. Size - $138.83
OEM Gasket Kit/Case Bolts - $254.07
P&L High Flow Pump - $319.49
ARP Head Studs - $162.94
Gates Timing Belt/OEM Tensioner/Gates Water Pump/All Cogs/Pulleys - $289.97
Rota Torque 5x100 - 17x8 et48 - $300.00
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Sport Star Specs 235/40/17 - $673.94

These are all budgeted prices below

Next Up:
Dome Coating on Pistons - $125.00
Group N Engine Mounts (need four nuts for plates) - $135.00
Injectors - 1000cc ID's w/pigtails - $427.50
Deatschwerks 300lph Fuel Pump w/install kit - $170.00
Cast Turbo Inlet - Brand TBD - $250.00
KS Tech Big MAF CAI - 73mm - $230.00
Brian Crower Valve Springs/Ti Retainers - $204.25
Supertech Valve Guides and Seals - $114.98
Brian Crower Stage II Cams - $586.00
Killer B Optimal Oil Pan & Ultimate Pickup & Baffle - $689.48
FMIC Brand TBD- $800
Carbonetic Pro-Blade Clutch/Fly ABS23132-16 - $1,349.00
Blouch dom3xt-r (not sure new or used) - $1,200.00-$1,800
Heads - MA Stage III or EQ Stage II Head Job -$950.00

Valves - Not sure on brand or size. Looking at ferrera, supertech. Std or +1mm. Not sure yet.

INDEX:

Main Bearings: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f10...d-sti-shortblock-29055/index2.html#post254384
Oil Pump, Rods, Pistons, Rod Bearings: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f10...d-sti-shortblock-29055/index2.html#post254902
ARP Head Studs: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f10...d-sti-shortblock-29055/index3.html#post256378
Master Gasket Kit: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f10...d-sti-shortblock-29055/index3.html#post256884
Teaser of the New Wheels: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f10...d-sti-shortblock-29055/index4.html#post257136
New Tires: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f10...d-sti-shortblock-29055/index4.html#post257290
Block Back from Machine Shop: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f10...d-sti-shortblock-29055/index4.html#post257475

See less See more
#225 ·
Still better than what I could've did....because i was destroying the lines of the scoop and all that.

Holy cow that unabomber laid down the hammer on you...I find that funny seeing as how he was suspended for quite some time over there.

#226 ·
^^Lol.. The attitude on nasioc doesn't help the situation either... It seems that place has two types of people: idiots, and assholes. The normal people don't post very often.

Took the scoop mesh out last night and painted the vent mesh sem-flat black. I drop the car off at the shop in the AM, and hopefully will have it back Friday night.

I'm still not 100% sure what I'll do until I drop it off so I'll leave you all in suspense.

#232 ·
Fingers crossed I get it back tonight. At this point it's just logistics to actually get to the shop while he's there because my wife has stupid work hours.

I know the hood was done yesterday, the PDR guy was working yesterday afternoon and should be finishing up today. If I get it back tonight I'll throw up a couple teaser pics and tomorrow I'll wash/wax the car and go out for a full shoot with the new camera.

#234 ·
Got it back! Paint job is amazing, and the PDR turned out great as well. If anybody is in the Omaha area and needs some paint/body work done, Custom Image Motorsports is the only place you need to call.

You guys get some teaser pictures until I can do a full shoot tomorrow after it gets a wash, clay bar, and wax.

#237 ·
You've gotten so far on your build. I didn't initially like the vents being CF, but I like the real finished product. When are you planning on dropping in the pistons and sealing that STi motor back up? That's what I've been patiently waiting for...

#238 ·
Not sure... Still planning on waiting a couple years until I get the wife a new car, take her current ride over as my beater, and then start to really tear into the WRX. As it sits right now I have everything for the short block ready for assembly (just need some fujibond and gap the rings) in case the current engine pops on me.

#240 ·
I'm not too worried considering the large hole in the middle of hte hood. The vents have screens for leaves and other large debris, as for dirt and water I'm not concerned. Everything in the engine bay is meant to get wet and be ok. I clean it every wash too.

#241 ·
I want a update on Brad's (HondaFan) status.

That being said...I love the look of the hood. Are you just waiting until you have a beater? Or is the wife seeing updates now and you have to slow the progress down?

#242 ·
Nope, waiting until my car is mostly paid off and then getting her a new one. Dealing with the down time and one car sucks.... The three days my car was gone last week sucked enough.

My wife could actually care less what I do/spend on the car (probably why I've sunk over 10k into the thing since I've had it)... One benefit of our young, make good money, no kid situation.

#243 ·
True enough....at least I'm driving my dad's trailblazer now. Since he sold the F250 super duty diesel for a 04 dodge ram 2500 diesel. Its nice when a family member can loan you a beater/extra car.

#244 ·
Well it's nice to have a beater to drive if the WRX is on down time. It's nice getting 42mpg in the Festiva, but I just have to remember it doesn't have the power the WRX does either. So pulling out into traffic is sometimes fun.

#247 ·
Sooooo the local 1/8 strip opened up for some T&T on Saturday (they've been underwater since July because of the Missouri flooding). They were able to get the track cleaned up and are doing drags last weekend and this coming weekend, so I decided to go out with an hours notice since I've been dying to see how the car has improved since going from 91 to E85 in the last 6 months.

Good news and bad news. Saturday was rained out, so they rain checked us for Sunday racing.

Showed up Sunday, made one clean pass; 8.60 @ 87 mph, 2.15 60' (pretty crappy ET and 60', but already 1mph faster than my fastest in April 8.43 @ 86 2.1X 60'). Second pass, 2.02 60', then clutch started slipping top of 2nd gear, then right away in 3rd. I cut my losses and left after that. Pretty sure I just overheated the clutch since I slipped it a bit too slow with a 5k launch, also only about a 10 minute rest from the first pass.

Clutch is the next item in my list anyways and the car still drives around town with no signs of slippage, so I'm pretty confident I just temporarily overheated the thing. Either way, no more hard passes like that till I get the Carbonetic installed. I'm figuring once I get some more experience dragging this thing I should be able to get into the 7's without much effort, hopefully pushing 90mph with 1.7-1.8 60' times.

Oh, and for reference, that 8.43 pass in April was on 91 octane and I was about 270 whp/300wtq. Currently the car is around 340whp/360 wtq, so I should be able to make my goal with better driving and that much more power.

#250 ·
Those are pretty good numbers for a VF52...*snicker* How is it that the local tracks around here have all closed for the winter already????? Man I need to move, any houses for sale down there???

#251 ·
Good peak numbers, yes. Power band, like any VF, sucks pretty bad. I'd take the same peak numbers with a 20g any day because of how much more power band I would have.

There definitely are plenty of houses for sale here.... 120k gets you plenty of house. If you want to spend 200 you'll be in a mansion.

Pretty much the only good thing about Omaha is the super cheap housing. Everything else blows, but not much better/worse than Ohio/Michigan (I'm from Detroit personally).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.