I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 5 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
It's funny your stuff's getting finished this week at SwainTech, ### I called them this morning too, and they said they're currently on schedule to be completed on Thursday, which I'm paying extra for faster return shipping, as I'm hoping to get this thing back together next weekend. I expect to get them back on Tuesday at the latest, and I'll haul everything down to my builder. Tomorrow I pick up the 1000cc ID injectors, and the new DW fuel pump you're talking about. I'll let you know if Jesse or Jason have any problems tuning with it.

Advertisement

#62 Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Only thing I've heard is that sometimes you need to double o-ring the pump to get it to seal property on the newer wrx/sti's.

Apparently DW is going to come out with some instructions in another week or two, but there have been issues (same goes for the walbro) of people installing them and not getting a good seal around the outlet of the pump. This usually results in the pump bleeding off pressure at higher pressure levels, which could be bad. Basically make sure you get a good seal on the pump.

-Chris
#63 Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Got the wheels today. They're in decent condition but they are the gunmetal, which is what I was hoping for.

Getting the tires mounted and balanced tomorrow at lunch and they'll be on the car tomorrow night.

For now you get this:

-Chris
#64 Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
the one thing I wish my works had is a blasted center cap...I would even run a Rota one if it would fit

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#65 Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

I think I'll get the works once the car is out of dd mode.... Sell the rota's and stock wheels, and see how many Works wheels that buys lol. I like the Emotion CR KAI's, but I also like the XD-9.

I'm a few years out though, I did just get these wheels after all.

-Chris
#66 Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
I drew up some blueprints to mill my own but now that I'm out of school I no longer have access to the CNC Mill nor the time to go machine shop hunting anymore...so I just rock my CCWs as the DD wheels until I can get some center caps milled

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#67 Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

My uncle just had some center caps made for his mustang.... He built up his 08 GT to a GT350 replica. Stroked to a 302, kenne bell s/c, mild head work, full gt500 body kit with custom gt350 badging, wider wheels, tube k-member, alum control arms, full tein d-spec suspension, sways and end links, short shifter, light weight drive shaft. Pretty much every thing you can do, he did.

The center caps look pretty good though:

Not sure what they cost him, but seeing that he completely tore down a a brand new car and built it I don't think cost was an issue.

-Chris
#68 Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wheels are on!

They look great IMO. They also came with spline drive lug nuts and I found out they're McGard, about the best ones you can buy (like $90 for a set of 20), so I'm happy about that. All in all, not bad for $250 shipped eh?

The only bad thing is how big my wheel gap looks now.... I drive a car not a bro truck.

-Chris
#69 Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Looks awesome! those freakin Rotas look so close to the Works lol, and some coils should clear that million foot fender gap up nicely!

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#70 Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Coils would be nice... I have priorities though... Long block=done Turbo=on Car Making 400+=Done

Then coilovers, I'd rather have a nice strut/spring setup but nobody makes anything good. D-specs would be great.

-Chris
#71 Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You telling me TiC has nothing on the 09's yet ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#72 Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Not for a spring/strut setup. They have a coilover set made, and if I get coils that's what I would get.

-Chris
#73 Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Dang I didn't think much of it until now, because the numbers are close, but maybe some 235/45's would have been better. It doesn't change anything now, but my tires were 225/45's and they fit just right, but then again, my car was lowered with the STi Pinks. It's all in hindsight, but the wheels look great! The 235/45's would have been slightly closer to stock, unfortunately, but it won't really matter once you change you springs/struts.

225/45 - sidewall is 101.25mm
235/40 - sidewall is 94mm
235/45 - sidewall is 105.75mm

#74 Old 03-30-2011, 08:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

I knew what I was doing

.6" shorter tire raised my apparent final drive to about 3.99 vs 3.90. 235/45 would have been a bit taller than stock, and I don't care about more time in gear. I just like getting to 60 fast About a pound less per corner and a lower moment of inertia to boot.

I'm still waiting for it to warm up though, I can still spin all four on a decent take off. Road surface needs to warm up for these tires to stick better.

-Chris
#75 Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post
Dang I didn't think much of it until now, because the numbers are close, but maybe some 235/45's would have been better. It doesn't change anything now, but my tires were 225/45's and they fit just right, but then again, my car was lowered with the STi Pinks. It's all in hindsight, but the wheels look great! The 235/45's would have been slightly closer to stock, unfortunately, but it won't really matter once you change you springs/struts.

225/45 - sidewall is 101.25mm
235/40 - sidewall is 94mm
235/45 - sidewall is 105.75mm
Stock sidewall height is not important, what's important is picking a sidewall height that's right for your car. The WRX is happier in the 24.0" to 25.0" range and the STi is happier in the 25.0" to 26.0" range (though the GD will have trouble past about 25.3" getting under it's fenders). WRX guys are much better off going with shorter tires.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD