I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Ok got you. Thats a little closer then. Didnt know if that was some crazy type of new gear or anything like that. But when broken down into whats involved it does make sense.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just a teaser:

Also edited the first post to reflect that this will now be my build thread.

-Chris

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 03-04-2011 at 05:05 PM.
#48 Old 02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Seriously, I can't tell you how satisfied I was with the Direzza Sport Z1's. You're gonna love those.

#49 Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm looking forward to them. After I give them a quick break in it's off to the local on-ramps

-Chris
#50 Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
if you ever do all that transmission work and power up that 3.0xtr, you might want to consider more tire width. Specifically, I'd go after some STi body paneling and then get some nuts tires going like 285/30R18. Tirerack has some MT1's I believe in 18x9.5" +45 which would work.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#51 Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
if you ever do all that transmission work and power up that 3.0xtr, you might want to consider more tire width. Specifically, I'd go after some STi body paneling and then get some nuts tires going like 285/30R18. Tirerack has some MT1's I believe in 18x9.5" +45 which would work.
Already thought about it. These tires should last me a couple seasons, after that we'll see what happens. I'm thinking 255/40 or 265/35's on a 9 or 9.5" wheel along some serious fender work. I'd love to get the STI panels but honestly that'll cost way too much. I'd want to keep with 17's as much as possible too.

MT1's? Oh no no no, Work Emotion CR-Kai 17x9 5x100 +38mm Matt Bronze at RallySportDirect.com

Obviously not bronze but I like the works if I want to go 9". If I keep it 8" in the future, I'll get the Enkei PF-01's.

-Chris
#52 Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I would envy for life if you get them Chris, lol. I love those rims, the wife does too, not the price tho, lol.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#53 Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tires came today. A lot wider looking than I thought. They're definitely a soft tire, I'll say that.

And the crappy droid phone glamor shot:

I'm having my uncle send the wheels out this weekend so I'll get those sometime next week and get the tires mounted and balanced next weekend. It needs to get warm out ASAP!!!!!

-Chris
#54 Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Got the block back today:

Like a glove

From this:

To this:

I had the pistons for about an hour and got them right on their way to Swaintech for the TBC coating on the domes. Should be getting those back in a couple/few weeks.

Wheels are on delay, found out today I'm needed in Calgary again on Monday, so I'll have my Uncle ship them next weekend so they're not sitting at my apartment for a week.

One could say I have a fully build short block ready to go. Once I get the pistons back from the guys at SwainTech I do. It won't be going into the car for a long, long time, but I have one hell of an insurance policy now.

-Chris
#55 Old 03-04-2011, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Or something to switch to...should you for go your good side and cross over to the dark side of 350+whp .

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#56 Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

The car may be going on a corn diet this summer, especially if gasoline keeps going the way it is.

I guess I should say the next thing on the list is group-n engine mounts, deatschwerks fuel pump, ID 1000's. Not sure if I'll do the fuel upgrades and go in for a tune for corn or not yet. I'll definitely throw the engine mounts in since they're simple.

-Chris
#57 Old 03-11-2011, 10:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dang, I get all excited just seeing those pistons slide in the cylinders. That sounds all sorts of wrong now that I typed it. Oh well. Anyway, are you going to have Jason tune it for you? Or have you found someone in Omaha? Jesse is the one who's actually going to be doing my tune now. I guess Jason was occupied or something. I haven't had any tuning done just yet though.

Related to fuel costs: I think as gasoline prices rise we'll still see an increase in the cost of ethanol. Supply and demand. I'm definitely going to run ethanol regularly, and have a map for the unlikely occasion I have to run on pump 91 octane. It can't hurt, and Jesse says once you go E85, you'll never want to run 91 octane again. I'll let you know if it's true as soon as I try it.

#58 Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'm probably going to get a local guy to get a base map on the car once it's done, and then take it to P&L in Chicago as Jorge/Junior are some of the best tuners in the country. Plus it's about a 6 hour drive so it's not too far, and I can stay at my sister's for free.

If I was still in Utah (wow I almost spelled youtah) you can bet I'd have Jason tune me. He was good a year ago when he did mine and he's tuned a lot more cars since then.

Guess another update, I was supposed to fly back to SLC to see the wife tonight, buuuuuuuut I'm now in Calgary through the weekend and heading to SLC on Wednesday. I did get two free days off so I'll have a four day weekend.

What that means is the wheels are on delay until the week of the 21st since I won't be in Omaha to get them until then (unless these f-tards up here want me to come back again). It's been in the 60's in Omaha so they'll definitely be going on the car first chance.

-Chris
#59 Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
If I was still in Utah (wow I almost spelled youtah)
Someone plays too much on Youtube.

#60 Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Half update.

The wheels come on Wednesday, finally. I'm not stuck in Calgary anymore so I can actually live a life. I'm going to drop them off at the local Subaru dealer to get the tires mounted and balanced (they give a nice discount to the local Subaru Club, $63 for all four mounted and balanced).

Just got off the phone with SwainTech as well, the pistons are scheduled to ship by the end of the week so I'll be getting those some time next week.

Other than that, just saving up for either injectors/pump/engine mounts or springs& retainers/valve guies & seals/intake & exhaust valves. I think I'm going to get everything for the heads first, followed by the cams. That way I have pretty much all the guts for the entire long block on hand by the end of the summer.

Plus it will give more time for the new DW pump to be proven, and to see if any options for injectors open up. I've decided 1000cc may be too small for the dom3 on E85, and the only real option for EV14 injectors in 1200 cc are the Five-0's, and those seem to get mixed reviews even though they're the same injector that ID sells. ID, on the other hand, just came out with 1600cc EV14 injectors, but they run north of $700.

So, basically next up is all the guts for the heads. I talked to MAPerformance on doing the port work and a five-angle valve job, and since I don't want them to assemble the heads or set the lash as I'd rather do it while it is on my block, I get a bit of a break on price, but it's sill going to run about $850 for the cleaning, pnp, decking if necessary, 5-angle valve job, return shipping.

-Chris