I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 29 - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #421 of 428 Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Done! I just need to make sure I have the coolant system burped well enough, but she moves under her own power.

Total time 17 hours for an engine out clutch job solo. Not bad IMO.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 428 Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's pretty awesome. I can only one day hope to have the juevos to tackle a job like that on my own.

John
07 WRX
post #423 of 428 Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah I'm glad it went well. The only thing i messed up besides taking the nuts of the trans mount was forgetting to snap the connector on the main engine harness... Took about five minutes of not even cranking to figure that one out

Coolant system is burped and the car runs great... The lightweight fly is going to take a bit of getting used to but the clutch grabs quick and low.

-Chris
post #424 of 428 Old 05-03-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well life has been a bit crazy for a while now so I haven't made time for the forums.... Been a hell of a couple years at work and I now have a 21 month old daughter.

That being said there has been some pretty good progress on the car..... I'll try to summarize.

Installed:

Killer B Pan, pickup, windage tray
Whiteline steering rack bushings
Crawford v2 AOS
Other stuff I can't remember

Modified:
Performed full de-power of steering rack. Pulled the whole thing out and gutted it. Welded the quill to give me essentially a direct link from hands to wheels
Exhaust is now just a 3" turn down off the DP dumping towards the back of the front passenger side door

Removed:
Guessing about 400 lbs total
Interior is basically gone including roof liner and rear door cards
Spare/Jack/tools
F&R bumper beams
Under tray
Evaporation system half gone
AC system
PS system
Air pump

Basically we've gone plaid. Full race car. I'll take it to the recycle center soon to get a good weight. Fingers crossed for sub 3k with me in it.

I'll also get it to a 1/4 track to see what a power to weight ratio of around 7#/hp can do. Hoping for high 11's while keeping my launches conservative.

I'll get pics up sometime, like I said I'm busy these days.

I also need a new trans mount as a stud sheared off my group-n where it mounts to the cradle. I'll probably get the Perrin mount, it seems to be the one I would want. If I ever have a bolt shear on the Perrin it looks to be the easiest to extract versus some of the other guys.
sleepr likes this.

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 05-03-2015 at 09:42 PM.
post #425 of 428 Old 05-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The torque solutions transmission mount has a lifetime warranty just lime all their products. They replaced a split exhaust hanger for me with no fuss. Just throwing that out there.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #426 of 428 Old 05-03-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah that was one of the others I looked at. My problem with that one is that it connects to the cradle via studs like the OEM style mounts do. If I happen to shear a stud again, boom whole new mount. On the perrin, the bolts thread into the mount so if they shear, I can extract them and get a new bolt.

I've had good service through Perrin as well. Snapped an end link and they sent me a new pair with no issues.

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 05-03-2015 at 10:20 PM.
post #427 of 428 Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Really happy to see this update! I'd like to see some pics (including some of the interior, or lack thereof)!

Matt
70 to engine rebuild faster than you can say "poofff!"
post #428 of 428 Old 05-09-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Finally had more time to get it up and running..... Still need to re-calibrate my wideband and run a boost leak test for good measure but it's alive for the year. Steering effort feels more excessive than I anticipated. I'm going to check the loop I did on the rack to see if there's a blockage keeping pressure in the rack.... I can also feel it trying to spring back to center so I think that's the problem. I also was off a spline or two getting the steering joint back onto the rack so my hill assist and tc lights are on. So, a bit of rework to do but overall it's back up and running.