I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 29 - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #421 of 432 Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Done! I just need to make sure I have the coolant system burped well enough, but she moves under her own power.

Total time 17 hours for an engine out clutch job solo. Not bad IMO.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 432 Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's pretty awesome. I can only one day hope to have the juevos to tackle a job like that on my own.

John
07 WRX
post #423 of 432 Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah I'm glad it went well. The only thing i messed up besides taking the nuts of the trans mount was forgetting to snap the connector on the main engine harness... Took about five minutes of not even cranking to figure that one out

Coolant system is burped and the car runs great... The lightweight fly is going to take a bit of getting used to but the clutch grabs quick and low.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 432 Old 05-03-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well life has been a bit crazy for a while now so I haven't made time for the forums.... Been a hell of a couple years at work and I now have a 21 month old daughter.

That being said there has been some pretty good progress on the car..... I'll try to summarize.

Installed:

Killer B Pan, pickup, windage tray
Whiteline steering rack bushings
Crawford v2 AOS
Other stuff I can't remember

Modified:
Performed full de-power of steering rack. Pulled the whole thing out and gutted it. Welded the quill to give me essentially a direct link from hands to wheels
Exhaust is now just a 3" turn down off the DP dumping towards the back of the front passenger side door

Removed:
Guessing about 400 lbs total
Interior is basically gone including roof liner and rear door cards
Spare/Jack/tools
F&R bumper beams
Under tray
Evaporation system half gone
AC system
PS system
Air pump

Basically we've gone plaid. Full race car. I'll take it to the recycle center soon to get a good weight. Fingers crossed for sub 3k with me in it.

I'll also get it to a 1/4 track to see what a power to weight ratio of around 7#/hp can do. Hoping for high 11's while keeping my launches conservative.

I'll get pics up sometime, like I said I'm busy these days.

I also need a new trans mount as a stud sheared off my group-n where it mounts to the cradle. I'll probably get the Perrin mount, it seems to be the one I would want. If I ever have a bolt shear on the Perrin it looks to be the easiest to extract versus some of the other guys.
sleepr likes this.

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 05-03-2015 at 09:42 PM.
post #425 of 432 Old 05-03-2015, 10:07 PM

boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The torque solutions transmission mount has a lifetime warranty just lime all their products. They replaced a split exhaust hanger for me with no fuss. Just throwing that out there.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #426 of 432 Old 05-03-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah that was one of the others I looked at. My problem with that one is that it connects to the cradle via studs like the OEM style mounts do. If I happen to shear a stud again, boom whole new mount. On the perrin, the bolts thread into the mount so if they shear, I can extract them and get a new bolt.

I've had good service through Perrin as well. Snapped an end link and they sent me a new pair with no issues.

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 05-03-2015 at 10:20 PM.
post #427 of 432 Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Really happy to see this update! I'd like to see some pics (including some of the interior, or lack thereof)!

Matt
Stroked and stoked!
post #428 of 432 Old 05-09-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Finally had more time to get it up and running..... Still need to re-calibrate my wideband and run a boost leak test for good measure but it's alive for the year. Steering effort feels more excessive than I anticipated. I'm going to check the loop I did on the rack to see if there's a blockage keeping pressure in the rack.... I can also feel it trying to spring back to center so I think that's the problem. I also was off a spline or two getting the steering joint back onto the rack so my hill assist and tc lights are on. So, a bit of rework to do but overall it's back up and running.
post #429 of 432 Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Man, I just don't follow through. Life has still been crazy so I've basically just been enjoying the car with my now almost 4 year old daughter who loves going for rides in dad's loud car. Maybe my six month old son will be as excited in a few years.

Either way - I did finally get the car on a scale and with a half tank of gas, my daughter, and her car seat and we weighed 3000#. After we got home and weighed all of our stuff we came in at an even 200#, so the car is sitting right at 2800# with a half tank of gas.

The only problem now is that I just picked up a six speed and rear diff out of a 2015 STI to swap into the car. I want to build the drivetrain to take the power I'm expecting to make rather than fix things as they break. Figure the trans will add 50 lbs, but the CF driveshaft should take 10 or more back out for a net of 35-40 lbs gained. I have more weight loss planned for the car so it should still sit around 2800# even after the cage.

List for transaxle upgrade:

2015 STI Six Speed Transmission with linkage
2015 STI R180 diff & cradle
New slave cylinder
Goodridge Stainless clutch line
COBB Short shifter
Karboy front shifter bushes
Beatrush Shift Knob (I like that it has the gear markings on it, since this six speed trans isn't native to the car)
ACT Streetlight Flywheel (I like the streetlight, so I'll use it again just in STI form)
ACT Extreme Duty Clutch (again, I had the heavy duty, figure I'll upgrade now that this car is not DD and should see north of 500 hp). I COULD use the clutch and fly I have now but figure I'll upgrade while it's torn apart.
Driveshaft Shop 800hp rear axles - Hybrid
Driveshaft Shop CF 08-14 STI Driveshaft
OEM WRX front axles
Fluids

By using my oem front axles and the hybrid rear axles I can keep my WRX hubs, wheels, and brakes. The hybrid axles incorporate a shorter bar, STI inner, and WRX outer joints. The R180 needs the STI inner, my oem hubs need the WRX outer, and the narrower track of the narrow body WRX requires the shorter bar. Great thing the guys at DSS built axles for just this conversion! My front axles may become the weak point but I will be running the trans without DCCD for now, so the power is biased rear (41/59), so in theory they'll see a lot less power than the beefier rears.

I'm paying a bit of a premium for the newer STI transmission but the way I see it I'm putting a trans with 17k miles on it that's only two years old rather than an old unit with a lot of miles. All in all this isn't a cheap upgrade but it's been on my list for a long time and I've been on a field assignment at work for a lot longer than I planned so at this point field money is just bonus.

I'll try to actually be good at keeping this updated, but no guarantees. I'm still in the field and now that we have two kids free time is rare.

-Chris
post #430 of 432 Old 04-10-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Managed to get about 2 hours to work with yesterday and was able to get the rear diff, axles, and drive shaft out. Also drained the trans fluid since I already had my oil pan pulled out from draining the diff. I did manage to pull everything out without needing to touch the hubs at all, so at least I saved a potential alignment on the rear end. Not sure if I'll be able to do that when I pull the front axles or not. Since I'm obsessed with weight, I did weigh the WRX rear diff vs the STI. WRX was 54 lbs with bolts and carrier, STI was 62.5 with bolts and carrier. To be quite honest it's not a bad place to add weight.... low and rear. Trans will be the opposite, but at least the drive shaft will take 10 or so pounds out.

My plan is to get the rear end back together before I start tearing down to pull the transmission. I figure this will at least minimize how much clutter I have laying around the garage. I'm still waiting to get pricing back and make the order, so I'm still probably a couple weeks out from being able to reassemble the rear end and move forward.

Couple pictures attached. My daughter loves to work on cars with me so I had to get a shot of that.
Attached Images

-Chris
post #431 of 432 Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Spent another two hours in the garage on Friday and the trans is now ready to come out. I did have to unbolt the front struts but that gave me barely enough room with the knuckles to get the axles out. My favorite part of trying to get the trans off of the engine is all that's left... Hopefully since it's only been 25k miles since the last time I had them apart it won't be as bad as the first time I did it.

I've also finished my procurement so everything is en-route. Here's the full list of things happening on the car this summer, not all transmission related:

2015 STI Six Speed Transmission
2015 STI R180 Rear Differential
Driveshaft Shop 800hp Rear Axles (STI inner, WRX outer) - retains stock 5x100 hubs & brakes
Driveshaft Shop Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
New Clutch Slave Cylinder & Clutch Fork Return Spring
Goodridge Stainless Braided Clutch Line
Perrin Transmission Mount
Beatrush Shift Knob
Kartboy Short Throw Shifter
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushings
Killer B Holy Header
Misc. Exhaust Gaskets for above header
Replacement WB02 Sensor
Replacement Prosport Boost Gauge Sender
COBB TMIC-Throttle Body Coupler - OEM Finally gave out and was giving me a terrible boost leak
Trans/Diff Fluid/New Axle Nuts
DEI Titanium Wrap for HEaders & Downpipe
PTP Turbo Blanket
Misc. Electrical Connectors for Re-Wiring transmission
Delete Evap System

I'll hopefully get the trans out this week if I can find time to work on it. Looks like I have a 2-4 week lead time on the axles and drive shaft so either way I'm at least a month away from being able to button everything up. I've also been running a turn-down off of the downpipe, but I may put my COBB exhaust back on the car when I get the new header on. It may be too loud at that point, and it will definitely sound different being equal length.

-Chris
post #432 of 432 Old 05-09-2017, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Made a lot of progress over the weekend but I've been out of date on my updates:

Got the trans out with no issues and installed the new clutch and flywheel a couple weekends ago. Wrapped the new header, and did a couple other odd jobs. This past weekend I managed to get the new transmission in and bolted, installed and bolted front axles, reinstalled front wheels, installed header, bled clutch slave, hooked up and tested electrical (it worked!), re-wrapped and reinstalled downpipe/turndown.

All I have left is to reinstall the TIMC with new throttle body hose, make an adjustment to my steering wheel (still a notch or two off so it doesn't quite sit straight ahead), and calibrate my new WBO2 sensor before I put it in. Last job will be deleting the EVAP system and then disabling those codes. I want to do this before the rear diff goes in because there are some lines above the diff that will be way easier to get to.

For record - I had some concerns with fitment/compatibility with the 2015 STI transmission. I haven't seen anybody else swap a six speed in from the new body style so I wasn't quite sure how everything would fit up. So far everything has gone perfect - shifter linkage fits up no issues, I was able to simply rob the transmission extension harness from my 5 speed and it plugged right into the six speed and at least the back up switch has proper polarity (TBD on NPS - once I get it running I can see if it reads neutral in the ECU), bolt up to the engine was no issue, all mounting points are the same. WRX front axles popped in no problem. Downpipe support on the trans bolts right up to the downpipe.

The only real fitment concerns left would be driveshaft length and that one was the least of my concerns, as well as starter. The starter bolted right up, I just don't know for sure that it'll work until I try it. It seems to be up in the air that there's an area where the starter will rub the clutch and bind up. We'll see, if I try to crank it and it won't go I know my problem.

-Chris