I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 26 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #376 of 423 Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well the sensor worked fine all the way home last night and all the way in this morning. It tried to go out after I got gas, but just restarted and it worked again. My first thought was a bad ground or something but the ground point I used in the engine bay looks fine. I'll have to see if any of the splices under the dash are loose next.

Either way, it turns out the exact wideband sensor I need is only $53 so that's the worst case.

On a random side note, the wife's car did something weird. Both of her low beam headlights blew out at the same time. Both bulbs just blew. No fuses went, relay seems fine. Sylvania silverstars. Weird

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 423 Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Silverstars are junk.

They last a year at best.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #378 of 423 Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
After doing some googling I agree. All I remember is we still lived in Utah when I put them in her car, and we haven't lived there since May of last year. I guess I got good life out of them, and they were still fairly bright.

-Chris
post #379 of 423 Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yhey might last a little longer if you disconnect the DRL's

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #380 of 423 Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
the wide band is normal when its dead. mine lasted over 2 years. i let mine do it for 4-5 months before i just bought a new one this week and installed it 2 days ago. its a bitch when tuning because right before a run i have to turn the car off and reset it so it doesnt crap out half way through. some days it would work for 5 min and others an hour or so. the recal button blinks a 2 blink sequence and that tells you the error code, this case a dead sensor.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #381 of 423 Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, it's been working fine for the last week. I didn't permanently install the calibrate LED/button so I don't know what code it blinks when it does have the error. Once I move and can dig out my box of car parts from the storage locker I'll at least recalibrate it.

-Chris
post #382 of 423 Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well time for updates.....

Sad news today

Ok no not really. Pretty sure my crappy HID's died. I'll check the fuse and relay on the wire harness but I'm just going to slap regular bulbs back in the things. The HID kit is my only regret on the car anyways.

I've also pretty drastically changed plans on the car in the last few weeks. Obviously buying a house has consumed my weekends over the last month, so the clutch is still needing replacing. Hopefully later this summer I'll have some time and my uncle will still be willing to lend a hand and an engine crane. I may still do the oil pan at the same time, whatever we'll figure it out.

On to the change in plans. I've decided, at this time, to NOT upgrade the turbo. Don't fear, it's still on the list down the line. I just can't make up my mind on rotated/oem location/size so for now, screw it. I'll get the engine built, still fully work the heads, and run the stock turbo and see what the thing can do at the 1/4. I'll need to work on my driving but I know the car can do 11's.

Here's the revised build list and reasons:

Tactrix: Because I need one $180ish
Crawford AOS: since going E85 and running north of 20psi I've noticed a bit of blowby in my IC piping and have been burning ~ 1/2qt per 3500 miles. We'll see if an aos solves it or maybe there's an slight issue with the engine, either way there's no other signs of anything being wrong with the car. Regardless I have a built shortblock I can swap in when I do the clutch so NBD $385ish
Koyo Rad: Do it with the clutch. I know I was going to do it down the line so just get it out of the way for $350
KSTech tgv and air pump deletes - Because I'm doing these things and it's cheaper to buy the plates than take them to a shop to get welded. $75
PST Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft: New goal to maximize efficiency and minimize weight with the OEM turbo setup. Plus I've wanted a cf drive shaft because EVERYBODY I talk to raves about their lightweight shafts ( !Laugh! ) $1,107 so quite spendy
Oil Temp, Oil Pressure gauges and the clustermaker dash cluster gauge mount - Because I like knowing my oil pressure and temp are in check $350ish
The rest is unchanged: I need the rest of the guts for the heads (intake valves, valve springs, GSC S1 cams, the head work itself, and I'll do the inlet hose while I'm swapping the engine - $2,200 for all that)

So all in I have about $4,600 left on this stage of the build but overall the goal would be an even more fun DD once I get the drive shaft in there, and the car will be down to about 2900 lbs for my race weight. I have more plans for weight savings down the line to include lightweight brakes (possibly a VERY lightweight drag only setup when the car isn't my dd - think almost motorcycle brakes), dry cell battery, full gutting of the thing besides two front seats (aftermarket, probably Kirkey). All that should get me under 2750 dry weight, and we'll see what that combined with 350ish whp and 400tq will do.

The next stage will then be the brakes and other lightweight items, then finally I'll step up the turbo. By that time I'll probably be willing to do some extreme work with the intake/turbo system to include rotated turbo setup, and a rotated IM since the plastic manifold really lends itself to a super short piping system.

We'll see though, this could all change now that we have a house !Laugh!

The plan still sits at once the car is paid off (July 2014) this will all be procured. As of right now I'll have the shaft early next spring for next summer fun. That combined with the clutch and flywheel alone will save about 26 lbs from the drive train itself.

-Chris
post #383 of 423 Old 07-13-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well time for the bi-monthly update.

Still holding my plans. I want to get the car paid off, get the wife something new, then the fun really begins with my car.

I've been pricing out wilwood drag brake kits. These are for when the car only sees drag use and casual weekend driving. They're basically motorcycle brakes for all four corners. It'll run about $1,400 for all four, and shave around 100 lbs off the car. Well worth it IMO, especially since most of that is rotating. I'm also looking at the lightest wheels possible. So far SSR 15's, if I get them custom made to 8.5" width, will be around 11.5 lbs each. Add on drag brakes and the rotating mass (minus hub) should be around 45 lbs per corner. OEM is around 70.

I've also had good luck with my buddy/supplier back in Utah so the following will be next on the list for late August/September:
Tactrix - $180
Koyo Rad - $360
Crawford AOS - $360
KSTech Deletes - $75 or less, waiting on that price back

Early 2013:
Driveshaft Shop CF Drive shaft - $1,000

Over the last several months I've set the goal of getting the car to the weight of a Miata and seeing how close to 10's I can get on a VF turbo. Hell, maybe it'll actually get there. Between some extra power, the absolute minimum rotating mass, and 600-700 lbs of weight reduction, I have a shot at some good times.

It's going to take some serious gutting, and it'll cost a lot of money, but why not.

-Chris
post #384 of 423 Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Why the Crawford AOS Chris?

Just asking as it's one of the higher dollar ones out.

You ever look at lightening the rotors ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #385 of 423 Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Why the Crawford AOS Chris?

Just asking as it's one of the higher dollar ones out.

You ever look at lightening the rotors ?
I like the design of the Crawford over the other ones.

The rotors will basically be the same size as the ones you see on a crotch rocket. 11.75" and about 3/8-1/2" thick, aluminum hats. Rotors and hats will weigh 10 lbs at the most. They will do squat for any sustained braking, however. That's why once those go on the car will be pretty much a dedicated drag car where I can do one run, use the brakes, and let them cool for a while.

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeK...-8442-D-lg.jpg

-Chris
post #386 of 423 Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Centric makes some "economy" rotors and weigh less than the HD ones. Just something to look at.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #387 of 423 Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

HD ones?

I don't think anything weighs less than a full blown drag brake kit. We're talking glorified bicycle brakes here

-Chris
post #388 of 423 Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Heavy Duty vs Economy

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #389 of 423 Old 07-13-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Oh yeah, way too big.

The brakes I'm talking about, you run a road course and you're fading after the third turn. They're pretty much good for one stop from 130 mph then you let them cool.

-Chris
post #390 of 423 Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hmmm.... That's a crap ton of work. You going to switch em back n forth?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement