I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 23 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#331 Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That is big!
Sounds like a pricey February, but yet a fun one at that.
Not to get off topic, but what are the braising rods for?

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
That is big!
Thats what she said...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#333 Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
That is big!
I'm brazing everything myself. I brazed the v-band's onto the intercooler end tanks, and will be doing all the pipes.

It'll be pricey, about $1,600 in total, but I have a dedicated car fund that gets $40 a week as well as any side cash I make buying/selling parts. It's been a good couple months for my buying/selling parts

Plus, I've already sold my perrin TMIC to a local once it's off. That's a few hundred more back in my pocket.

-Chris
#334 Old 01-14-2012, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Awesome man, There's a shit ton more satisfaction with something you put your own sweat into.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#335 Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

^ @ Kirt,......or He....haha

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#336 Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Meh, I'm king at screwing something up at least once enough for it to come back and bite me in the arse. So, I'm hoping to eliminate my mistakes by eliminating myself for manufacturing any performance parts. More power to Chris for doing stuff with his own hands.

Kirt
#337 Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
We'll see how my pipe fabrication skills are. Chances are I'll get everything put together just for all my brazed connections to leak like a mofo.

-Chris
#338 Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Its still more than what most people would attempt. I just have a skilled welder doing my dirty work...

Kirt
#339 Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Over the weekend I basically got the hot side pipe done aka the easy pipe done:

It has one more piece on it than in the picture, and there is one more piece to go. I'll get to that this weekend, as well as starting the cold side piping aka the hard side.

After this weekend I'll be in Newfinland for nine days so no progress for a little while.... Also flying back to MI this friday to interview for a new jerb back in the motherland.

-Chris
#340 Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Looks good....I should've got pictures of my pipes. Doah...I just looked at it about a hour ago and forgot to get pictures. FMIC set-up is basically done....just waiting on a coupler to connect the last hot side pipe connection. They also had to eliminate the radiator reservoir and made a new metal one that will be located near the radiator. Are you having any problems with that on your FMIC set-up yet? Also, my hotside pipes run over the top of the turbo and the cold side come back on the drivers side....away from the heat. They also kept my APS CAI for now....kind of interesting to be able to do somethings better than most kits.

Kirt
#341 Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

We'll see about the rad overflow bottle. I don't expect to have to move or modify it. Cold side piping isn't 100% yet but I still want to see if it's even feasible to go under the headlight. The pipe fits, but I don't think the pipe and v-band will fit through that hole.

As for the pipe routing, the way the VF52 is, the hot side hooks in right by the turbo coolant reservoir, and heads straight back to the intake area from there, so it never is even over the turbo (well it's over the compressor), then down do the core, and back up the driver's side for the cold pipe. I'll either go through the washer reservoir area, or between the timing cover and rad fans. Then it'll go along the top of the driver's side head between the battery/engine and then curve into the throttle body hose.

I may need to do something at that spot since the TB hose seems to be about 2.75" and my pipe is 2.5". I can probably just order a 2.75 -> 2.5" silicon hose and build the pipe to fit where the hose will end at. I don't need to waste money on the AVO one designed to fit the stock TMIC location.

-Chris
#342 Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

True, your turbo layout is a little different. I keep forgetting...I should've took some pictures. Well, theres always next time. Yeah, they choose to run it through the radiator reservoir area for the hot pipes and I'm thinking my cold pipe is coming up between the battery and engine.

Kirt
#343 Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sooooo.... Probably not making any progress on the car for a while.

Because I'm moving back to Michigan (home state)! I found a job back there that pays an extra $10k and is where we want to be so win win. The next three weeks are going to be hectic as I'm starting on the 27th and we need to move out there by then.

I have the next two weeks off, so I may be able to spend some time on the FMIC, but I'm not sure. If I don't, we're getting an apartment for six months and then finally buying ourselves a house. After that, it's game on for sure. I may even have a company car by then so I'll really be able to go without the car.

-Chris
#344 Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cost of living in MI is a ton higher than Cornhusker locale, isn't it?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#345 Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

It's pretty much the same, at least within +/- 5% everywhere we're looking at buying.

-Chris