I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 21 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 423 Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The newer ones are only 19... I weighed it. Even the old ones were about 28.

25 mph is definitely a pretty serious crash on the beam, I don't think there would be much left of the beam, but it may still do its job of saving the radiator from crushing in.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 423 Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
My front and rear were 16 or 19 lb. I'll have to look again.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #303 of 423 Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
My tuner will not make a FMIC core without having it fit with a bumper bar. He's seen people take low speed frontal collisions on EVOs (25 mph and lower) completely smash the FMIC, radiator, exhaust, and turbo (because the turbos on the EVO 8s and 9s are on the front of the engine). He's even seen it break the motor mounts and damage the engine. So, end point is its easier to attempt to prevent damage vs leaving the most important stuff completely vunerable. The EVOs might even have a more stout front bumper bar because they come with a FMIC from the factory and the car has to still pass frontal crash ratings. I don't know, I'm keeping my stock bumper bar on the FMIC that my tuner is making me.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #304 of 423 Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
FMIC and turbo adapter came today. Pipes and v-bands were also supposed to come but for some reason fedex didn't deliver it.... Never seen that before.

This should cool a bit more than the Perrin TMIC....

Tried to get a decent picture of the internal fin structure, camera kept focusing on the end tank. What's hard to see is that the rows are staggered as you get deeper into the core. The row behind the first one you can see if offset so they overlap, breaking up the airflow better:

Perrin turbo adaptor. I went with them because I'd rather have a cast adaptor vs. a flange with a pipe welded onto it. It's also set up to point towards the passenger fender so it lines up for pipes much easier:

-Chris
post #305 of 423 Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Nice Chris...I hope to have pics of my FMIC and such soon. Yeah, I'd say that core will cool a lot more than your perrin. Hell, my Perrin is bigger than your TMIC I think. Haha.

Kirt
post #306 of 423 Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I'm sure it is. The 08+ wrx has the smallest TMIC of any year wrx. The onlu thing perrin did is make it deeper and bar and plate.

-Chris
post #307 of 423 Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, that's one thing that Perrin did right with their cores.

Kirt
post #308 of 423 Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Was your FMIC core that came in used ? Noticed the fins are a little dinged.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #309 of 423 Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nope it's new, fins are really easy to bend. I noticed how easy they are to bend last night. I'll have to see how the Perrin compares.

That being said, the box the IC came in was pretty beat up and the back side of the IC looks like it got whacked or something so some of the fins on one of the bottom corners are dented. I'll just straighten them out myself, and they're on the backside anyways.

-Chris
post #310 of 423 Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just wondering as they are IN the core.... wonder if the welder "fat fingered" it...

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #311 of 423 Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Oh, you're talkign about the shot inside the IC? They're not really bent on the inside, more just inconsistent in their bends/folds.

The picture does make it look like some are bent, but it's just glare off the second row of fins that are staggered behind the first.

-Chris
post #312 of 423 Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Got one of the v-band flanges on the IC last night. Took about an hour with a hand file to get the nozzle down enough for the flange to be pounded over it. Sealed it up with the durafix. I'm getting the hang of working with the stuff, and these flanges are going to be the most difficult joints just becuase of their location, it's hard to get to the back side because they're so close to the end tank. I practiced on a coule cans (brazed them together end to end) a few days ago, and it looked almost like a tig weld, so I know I can use the stuff pretty well on the easy joints, which is what all the pipes will be.

I will say, the ENTIRE IC got hot when I was brazing. I guess that shows how good of a heat sink it is

-Chris
post #313 of 423 Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

It's a thick core for sure. Has anyone reported higher than normal water temps from it ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #314 of 423 Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Not sure, it's a thinner core than most though. 3.5" compared to most STI/WRX aftermarket cores being 4-4.5". Even my Perrin TMIC is 4" thick.

-Chris
post #315 of 423 Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Got the core mounted up yesterday.

All in it took me about six more hours to get the two v-bands on the end tanks (grind the flanges down to fit, braze them on), modify the bumper beam to fit the fmic, figure out the brackets and placement of the core, trim bumper cover, used some vacuum hose to create an edge guard where I cut the beam so it doesn't rub on the core, cut bottom off of license plate to not block any of the core, get it all back together.

Overall, there's only about 1.5" of the core that isn't in the airflow (it goes 1" into the bottom of the bumper beam, and sits about 1/2" lower than the opening in the bumper cover), so my goal of 75% of the core directly in airflow is a success!

Didn't take too many pics in process, but snapped a couple:

Before I cleaned up and covered the cuts into the beam (obviously had to take a good chunk of the bottom of the beam out):

Before I cut down the plate and before the bumper cover was 100% able to fit back on (looks crooked becuase the bumper was just hanging on from the grille at that point):

Finished trimming the bumper skin and cut the plate down, also an excellent picture (lies):

-Chris

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 01-09-2012 at 12:20 AM.