I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 20 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#286 Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's pretty low in terms of priority or any sort of gain to the car, but just one more thing to help overall... Or not, just one more thing to add to the list.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#287 Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Update:

Beam has been made and is on the way
FMIC - Treadstone 8"x22"x3.5" core with bottom inlet/outlet end tanks is on the way
Pipes - 2.5" .083" wall are on the way
V-Band Gasketed Flanges are on the way (all connections will be v-band except turbo and throttle body)
Perrin's VF52/FMIC flange is on the way
Durafix Rods are on the way

Basically I'll be fabricating before long. I still need to find a TiAL BPV, but other than that I have everything ordered and on the way.

-Chris
#288 Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Slowly but surely

Have you ever heard of intercoolers that have the inlet and outlet on the same side being more efficient than the inlet and outlet being on different sides?

Buddy was yappin something about that a while back and wanted feedback.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#289 Old 12-27-2011, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Depends what you want to use it for really.

The vertical flow IC's dont' cool as well, but they do have less pressure drop. That makes them better for a drag setup where you need all your boost right away, and only run for a little bit.

Basically all else the same, more rows = less pressure droop. It's also why Koyo radiators are so much more than Mishimoto, they have more cooling rows.

Someday I'll reverse my IM, go rotated on the turbo, and I'll do the vertical flow passenger side inlet/oulet FMIC. Right now that's not in the cards, but I have been wanting to do that. It would also make the pipes super short compared to other Subaru FMIC's.3

If you want to really get good info on intercoolers and such, get Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. I have a copy and that's my new go-to when I'm figuring out what I want to do. Also convinced me of going thinner on the core (3.5" vs 4"). He goes into a lot of detail on the crossflow/vertical flow IC.

-Chris
#290 Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I think my tuner has that book in his waiting area among others. Yeah, deeper isn't always better on your cores. I don't know my stuff in the cores section of building FMICs...but, my tuner swears the Garrett cores he uses are much better than a lot of the crap on the internet. What do you think Chris? Where do treadstone cores rate?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#291 Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'd say treadstone is lower grade than garrett. They're definitely above all those ebay brands you see like the FMS. I was trying to balance price and internal fin design, and treadstone seems to have a pretty good product in that they have a relatively dense internal fin setup.... Good for cooling, with about 2 psi drop across the core.

The only other bare cores I could find were bell and those were super expensive like the garrett's.... North of $400 just for the core, plus end tanks. My treadstone core was $268 shipped.

All in I'm going to have about $600 into the FMIC kit (core, pipes, v-band flanges, brazing stuff, couplers/flanges), and another $260 into the bpv, plus my time. The core is rated to support 475-500 hp, so I think I'll be keeping the turbo in the 50-52 lb/min range. If I do go bigger it will just be making the same power with lower boost.

-Chris
#292 Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I had spoke to Corky years ago since he's right around the corner (back in 02) and he had explained it pretty much like you did Chris but with the air to water IC's he's working on.... Pretty much throws all that out the window.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#293 Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
^^ Nice Chris..I like to pick at your brain from time to time. I know you really look into things more than I do at times.

I enjoy seeing your car come along slowly. Its always nice to see things come together.

Kirt
#294 Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Got the beam and slapped it on real quick... Install time is about a half hour between getting the bumper cover off and swapping out the beams.

This thing weighs nothing compared to stock, 6lbs vs 19. Doesn't sound like much but taking 13 lbs off the nose of the car is huge. Just like holding a weight in your hand and trying to swing your arm vs no weight.

And the old fat one:

After getting the actual beam on the car I can see I'll have to do some notching on the bottom of the beam to fit up the FMIC. Basically it'll sit directly below and as far behind the beam as possible. I'll probably have to notch about a 1.5" deep, 24" wide section on the back bottom of the beam to get it to work. Not a huge deal, the beam doesn't exactly give much crash protection anyways, and the back is completely open:

-Chris
#295 Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

The stocker is rated to 25 mph crashes. Its at least one thing that is keeping the FMIC protected; better than nothing at least. I wonder what your new beam is rated at...!Laugh!

Kirt
#296 Old 12-31-2011, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'd guess about 2 mph.

Any more than 5 even with the stocker and I don't think an FMIC would have much of a chance.

-Chris
#297 Old 12-31-2011, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I just started enjoying this thread
And I suppose Ill just pick at it from time to time, but from what I've read thus far I have enjoyed.(I'll stay tuned) I'm gonna learn a shit ton between this build and synolimits builds

p.s. I'm really digging that 1 mph crash beam....looks nice and light.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#298 Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, but it still can prevent major damage to the pipes that are connected to the turbo, the turbo if it gets jerked too hard from the pipes, the radiator, and the front of the engine. If all your replacing/repairing is a bumper support bar, a FMIC, and some bent pipes from a low speed front collision. Then its thousands of a lot less because the bar did its job. Granted, I still commend Chris for at least running a bumper bar vs none at all.

Kirt
#299 Old 01-01-2012, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Oh yeah , with out a doubt, I went years running nothing under fiberglass body kits. I just got lucky I wasn't in a collision..

PROPS for doing it right and not half assed like I used too. And many others still do!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#300 Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

I call BS on the stocker holding up to 25mph... I have proof

Is the bumper beam only 19lbs ? I remember reading they were in the upwards of 50lbs

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3