I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 19 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#271 Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The STIs clutches are not the same as a WRX though...I found that out with the exedy clutches. Two different part numbers.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Yep, I was just saying the STI clutch holds 500 tq at the crank, so I expect the WRX version, being a slightly smaller diameter, will hold a bit less.

If push comes to shove I'll just get an ACD HD and run that. I'll only do that if Carbonetic keeps dragging their feet and I absolutely need to replace mine.

-Chris
#273 Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
You mean ACT clutch...no?

Kirt
#274 Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yup45

-Chris
#275 Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Up to no good......... Wife leaves me home and I get going on the project that's been on my mind for a while. I pulled the trigger today.

Any guesses or shall I elaborate?

-Chris
#276 Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Finally going to put in the hardwood floors that you've been wanting????

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#277 Old 11-05-2011, 05:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bingo!

Nothing like a garage with nice bamboo flooring.

-Chris
#278 Old 11-05-2011, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
looks like someone is mocking up a FMIC

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#279 Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
looks like someone is mocking up a FMIC

Nailed it.

Not just any FMIC though......

Goals:

150% frontal area compared to Perrin TMIC (currenly 121 sq inches of core facing oncoming air) - goal of 185 or so square inches.
75% of core open to air (aka not covered by bumper or bumper beam)
What's that you said? Maintain stock bumper beam
No more than five couplers (one at throttle body, one at turbo flange, two at end tanks, one for cold side pipe). I should be able to make the hot side one solid welded pipe, and the cold side will need to be two pieces. That's it, less couplers the better.

I've been in talks with Mickey at Oswald Performance. He makes lightweight aluminum bumper beams as well as tubular subframes for the WRX/STI. He just got around to finalizing his 08+ WRX/STI bumper beams (front for now, rear coming soon) and I'll be using his bumper beam. His is 6lbs, stock is 19. I say in talks, I just mean communicating via email, no sponsorship or anything silly like that, just bouncing ideas off each other.

Stay tuned, the clutch is first on the list to cover (at least financially), then I'll tackle the Oswald Performance bumper beam and actually getting around to the FMIC/Piping. Damn me and my never, ever use credit cards to cover what I want to do to the car. Cash is king.

So far this is what I'm looking at for the FMIC/Pipes/BPV

Treadstone Performance Core/Endtanks - core is 8"x3.5"x24"
Piping - Bunch of straight lengths, few 90's, one 180, some more 45's.
BPV - Tial 50mm BPV. It's their new recirc BPV. I'll need to weld on a v-band flange to the IC piping but that's it.

All in I'm looking about $700 in materials and labor once I sell off the Perrin TMIC for pretty cheap. It'll be one hell of a cheap FMIC, and I get the fun of doing it all myself, with exception to the piping fabrication. I'll get them mocked up and cut, I just don't possess good aluminum welding skills or a tig welder.

-Chris
#280 Old 11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
i wanted to do something on mine when making the FMIC pipe but never did. how do you feel about moving the windshield washer fluid bottle to the trunk? since you have a hatch it will be easier. my bottle neck was to tall and would hit. if i could find just a square box from some car that would work better. you will be able to run the pipe easier and you wont have to cut the under tray or the drivers wheel well lining like you do with all the FMIC kits. plus the car will balance better moving 15 lbs to the trunk. hell move the battery too. one on one side and one on the other and its better balanced. just get a 15 lbs battery to match.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#281 Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'm.going to try and fit the pipe under the headlight and past the washer tank without touching it. I would love to shift 40+ lbs to the rear of the car but thats just too impractical right now.

-Chris
#282 Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well the wife is getting me the bumper beam for xmas so I'll have that around that time.... I have the excess $ for the uograded clutch covered so now I'm on to buying fmic parts... Hopefully I'll get it all in the next three months and start fabbing. Stay tuned!

-Chris
#283 Old 11-16-2011, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Are you sure the light weight bumper bars will provide the same amount of crash protection as the original? Thats the only question I have.

Kirt
#284 Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

It won't. It's more along the lines of it's overall smaller so it'll be easier to fit the fmic, and it will basically mean I'm breaking even weight wise with the fmic setup. It may still be lighter than the stock tmic/beam setup in the end, and shift weight lower.

The main purpose of the beam is low speed protection, which the aluminum beam will provide more than all the typical fmic setups which completely delete the beam. I could probably keep the stock beam and it will work with my fmic setup, but you know me, the cash is there so why not

-Chris
#285 Old 11-17-2011, 06:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
How are the hardwood floors coming along...hehe Personally at this stage of your build the bumper beam would be the least of my worries.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...