I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 17 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 423 Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I want a update on Brad's (HondaFan) status.

That being said...I love the look of the hood. Are you just waiting until you have a beater? Or is the wife seeing updates now and you have to slow the progress down?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 423 Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nope, waiting until my car is mostly paid off and then getting her a new one. Dealing with the down time and one car sucks.... The three days my car was gone last week sucked enough.

My wife could actually care less what I do/spend on the car (probably why I've sunk over 10k into the thing since I've had it)... One benefit of our young, make good money, no kid situation.

-Chris
post #243 of 423 Old 10-02-2011, 10:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
True enough....at least I'm driving my dad's trailblazer now. Since he sold the F250 super duty diesel for a 04 dodge ram 2500 diesel. Its nice when a family member can loan you a beater/extra car.

Kirt
post #244 of 423 Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well it's nice to have a beater to drive if the WRX is on down time. It's nice getting 42mpg in the Festiva, but I just have to remember it doesn't have the power the WRX does either. So pulling out into traffic is sometimes fun.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #245 of 423 Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The wife's corolla is the same way... Gets 37 mpg but takes about 15 seconds to get up to speed with it's beefy 125hp engine.

-Chris
post #246 of 423 Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
The wife's corolla is the same way... Gets 37 mpg but takes about 15 seconds to get up to speed with it's beefy 125hp engine.
That's twice what the Festiva makes, a whooping 63hp...It will roast the 12" pizza cutter tires on the front though...lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #247 of 423 Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Sooooo the local 1/8 strip opened up for some T&T on Saturday (they've been underwater since July because of the Missouri flooding). They were able to get the track cleaned up and are doing drags last weekend and this coming weekend, so I decided to go out with an hours notice since I've been dying to see how the car has improved since going from 91 to E85 in the last 6 months.

Good news and bad news. Saturday was rained out, so they rain checked us for Sunday racing.

Showed up Sunday, made one clean pass; 8.60 @ 87 mph, 2.15 60' (pretty crappy ET and 60', but already 1mph faster than my fastest in April 8.43 @ 86 2.1X 60'). Second pass, 2.02 60', then clutch started slipping top of 2nd gear, then right away in 3rd. I cut my losses and left after that. Pretty sure I just overheated the clutch since I slipped it a bit too slow with a 5k launch, also only about a 10 minute rest from the first pass.

Clutch is the next item in my list anyways and the car still drives around town with no signs of slippage, so I'm pretty confident I just temporarily overheated the thing. Either way, no more hard passes like that till I get the Carbonetic installed. I'm figuring once I get some more experience dragging this thing I should be able to get into the 7's without much effort, hopefully pushing 90mph with 1.7-1.8 60' times.

Oh, and for reference, that 8.43 pass in April was on 91 octane and I was about 270 whp/300wtq. Currently the car is around 340whp/360 wtq, so I should be able to make my goal with better driving and that much more power.

-Chris
post #248 of 423 Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ Did you smell the clutch burning up ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #249 of 423 Old 10-24-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

For about 2 minutes, it smelled worse the first time I took it to the strip in April.

-Chris
post #250 of 423 Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Those are pretty good numbers for a VF52...*snicker* How is it that the local tracks around here have all closed for the winter already????? Man I need to move, any houses for sale down there???

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #251 of 423 Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Good peak numbers, yes. Power band, like any VF, sucks pretty bad. I'd take the same peak numbers with a 20g any day because of how much more power band I would have.

There definitely are plenty of houses for sale here.... 120k gets you plenty of house. If you want to spend 200 you'll be in a mansion.

Pretty much the only good thing about Omaha is the super cheap housing. Everything else blows, but not much better/worse than Ohio/Michigan (I'm from Detroit personally).

-Chris
post #252 of 423 Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

I will probably have a 20g up for sale here in a month or so, I'll even throw in a free rebuild to the lucky buyer...
I was once told that the VF series suffer from a poorly designed turbine housing, which I thought Subaru had changed. Wonder if there is a way to increase the usable power band of a VF without spending tons of cash or if it would even be worth it..
Ohio sucks period ask anyone who's lived here.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #253 of 423 Old 10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Most VFs can not be modifed. I say most....but, the twin scroll turbos that USDM doesn't not get can be modified by Blouch turbo. I've read it on nasioc...scoobydude (uk's liasion for blouch) and Prospeedracing (also badged CBRD turbos...which is still Blouch's design in austraila) or Blouch in america has modified the twin scroll VFs for upgrade purposes on the stock location twin scroll set-up.

Kirt
post #254 of 423 Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Most VFs can not be modifed. I say most....but, the twin scroll turbos that USDM doesn't not get can be modified by Blouch turbo. I've read it on nasioc...scoobydude (uk's liasion for blouch) and Prospeedracing (also badged CBRD turbos...which is still Blouch's design in austraila) or Blouch in america has modified the twin scroll VFs for upgrade purposes on the stock location twin scroll set-up.
They can be ported.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #255 of 423 Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

^I think Kirt was talking about using the turbine/compressor and making them into a 20g-like setup with bigger wheels.

Once I do the engine build (entire long block), I'm torn between keeping the vf52 on there to see what it can do with the bump in compression and better flowing heads... Obviously I won't make much more up top, but if I can make some more power up to 4500 or so rpm's I may keep it on for a little while and see if I can't make a run for the all vf 1/4 mile record. Definitely blow the "VF52 world record" set by our friend out of the water.

It'll take some serious practice and weight reduction but I think it'll be fun to try. If I do that, I'll keep the FMIC and big turbo last on my list of "to buys" until I'm done with the vf.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement