I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 13 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 423 Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Bumping it for your followers again I see.

I guess the guage works a lot better than that plastic one you were using doesn't it? lol....just busting balls. Normally Keith's kind of work.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 423 Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Man I feel the love here. I guess I have that coming...lol

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #183 of 423 Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
It comes full circle....lol

Kirt
post #184 of 423 Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Bumping it for your followers again I see.

I guess the guage works a lot better than that plastic one you were using doesn't it? lol....just busting balls. Normally Keith's kind of work.
Yeah it's definitely better to know to the ten thousandth of an inch what my clearances are. Plastigages were waaaaaay off but they were one of those things that I mine's well try for $1.60 before dropping coin on the bore gauge.. Now I have a bore gauge and I like having tons o' tools.

As for the rods, I'm going to go get a vice to attach to my work bench so I can properly torque those suckers down and mic them out. I don't want to try and use the crappy 2x4 rig I used to get the bolts off in the first place, so I'll probably do the rods on Saturday.

Still no info on when my hood is coming, I guess that's the only downside to ordering through my guy, he just calls me when it's in. At least I got it for seven fiddy shipped.

-Chris
post #185 of 423 Old 09-15-2011, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I probably don't have to tell you this, but I'd place a rag around those rods before putting them in the vise. Also are you using aftermarket bolts or stock ones?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #186 of 423 Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Getting a vice with the plastic/rubbery grips on it.

Manley H-beams... They come with ARP 2000's I believe.

Oh, and hood is arriving Monday.. Freight truck is currently in Chicago. Guess I'll be swapping it in next week sometime.

-Chris
post #187 of 423 Old 09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Getting a vice with the plastic/rubbery grips on it.

Manley H-beams... They come with ARP 2000's I believe.

Oh, and hood is arriving Monday.. Freight truck is currently in Chicago. Guess I'll be swapping it in next week sometime.
Well with the recent storms I'm sure that slowed down the shipping.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #188 of 423 Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I suppose, as long as I get it on before the 29th I'm good as that's when the car goes in for paint/pdr. Honestly the less time I have to drive around with a bare CF hood the better, I just only had this weekend to do it before the 29th so I'll have to do it some night after work.

For fun I re-measured the mains and got even better #'s (probably because I'm getting better at using the bore gauge and it's actually 68* in here right now).

#1 - .0011"
#2 - .0013"
#3 - .0011"
#4 - .0014
#5 - .0011"

I'm quite happy with those #'s. I'm sure if I measured 4 more times, which I'm bound to do, I'll get to the point where they're all right around .0011-.0012.

-Chris
post #189 of 423 Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

I measure things at least 3 times. That's another reason it takes a month to put a motor together for me....After all I need to run 11's....lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #190 of 423 Old 09-15-2011, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fooo-Sure...its a must. Must reach 11s...must reach....

Kirt
post #191 of 423 Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Fooo-Sure...its a must. Must reach 11s...must reach....
Well I'm running a 20g so it would be a reach, plus I have to make 500000whp on my butt dyno and show everyone in the world I am the man....sarcasm.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #192 of 423 Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

You need time slips SON!! Butt dyno is a joke...lol. Too funny...

Kirt
post #193 of 423 Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Just got done measuring out the rod bearings, all in spec with STD size bearings and Manley rods. I was figuring I'd have to buy some HX's for the rods because I've always heard the Manley's run tight, but that isn't the case.

Everything came back as follows:
#1: .0012"
#2: .0014"
#3: .0014"
#4: .0014"

Specs are .0007-.00018" so I'm good to put this thing together whenever I want. All the work I have left is to gap the rings whenever I drop the pistons in.

Some pictures for you all to enjoy (and finally see my ugly mug):

Mains

Crank, rod, mic and bore gauge

Glamor shot

Torquing rod bolts to 62 lb-ft

Torqued

Clean clean clean!

Mic the crank

Measure that hole!

-Chris
post #194 of 423 Old 09-17-2011, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Man you're all decked out now...Those specs are pretty darn good. I shoot for .0015" if I am doing stock rods bearings. 62 ft/lbs is that what Manley calls for on those rods?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #195 of 423 Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Calls for 60-65 for the 3/8" ARP 2000's they came with. OEM specs are like 52 or 55 lb-ft.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement