I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 12 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 423 Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Humidity crushes the numbers though. Chad always says the shop car can lose 75+ whp on a humid day vs a non humid day. His shop EVO has the biggest FMIC I've ever seen on a EVO 8 and he runs about two small fans into it and one large fan. Still crushed by humidty. Granted his shop evo makes over 500whp. So, humidity will play a large roll in a car that is making that much power.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 423 Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Injectors are in... Tuner will be here in 40 minutes to get it running, set up a map on the 93 that's left in the tank (maybe 2 gallons), and then putting the corn in.

-Chris

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 08-01-2011 at 10:37 AM.
post #168 of 423 Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Update:

Got the car running on 93 and did a couple pulls. My IDC's were 51% with 93 in the tank. After a couple pulls I ran out of gas just sitting there idling, so we put the 5 gallons of E85 I had in the back in the tank and started tuning on E.

We haven't messed with boost or timing, but the car loves the corn juice. Idle is like butter, and knock is nonexistant. The only issue we're having is a rich spot at WOT that he wants to sort out before we start adding boost and timing. The car already feels a bit better with just switching the fuel, so I'm excited to see how it feels once we actually add some power.

Most likely, I'll just run though this first tank and give him time to research these injectors to see if he can fix the rich spot. I made a boost leak tester and found a leak at my boost gauge sending unit and that was it. Either way, I'm happy all went well on the first try and I'm now part of the E85 Army.

-Chris
post #169 of 423 Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Trying to bump your own thread? !Laugh!

Kirt
post #170 of 423 Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

You betcha! Figured adding an update to a previous post doesn't grab attention since it doesn't pop up as unread. I have followers (you) that need updates!

-Chris
post #171 of 423 Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for the update.

Kirt
post #172 of 423 Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Got back to tuning this afternoon. He got the rich dip figured out, it looks like it was just a latency issue with the injectors. I'm sure that little leak I found dind't help either but he got it sorted out.

I don't have the log to run the Airboy plot yet but it's fast. Going from stock to stage II type difference.

Stay tuned for a dyno plot but I'd say I gained an easy 30-40whp and we're not even done yet, still fine tuning the timing sometime this week.

Still running the same boost as 93 too.

-Chris
post #173 of 423 Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Finally met up with the tuner to fine tune the fueling/timing and ran one more log for airboy....

The road was a bit rough towards the end of the pull but it still cranked out some good numbers:

352whp/366wtq on Airboy 81 degrees outside, 58% humidity

The car will now wait to get the hail damage fixed, but at least she has a nice garage to sleep in:

-Chris
post #174 of 423 Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Good numbers, although I'd of expected more torque out of it, unless you are tuning for safer power levels...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #175 of 423 Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

^I was hoping for 350. If I wanted to run more boost I know we could have spiked it to 22-23psi and hit close to 400 but I told him to hold back.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I ordered my valve springs and exhaust valves today. Brian Crower valve springs & Ti retainers, Supertech Inconel exhaust valves. Next up is the cams, going with GSC Stage II 272/272's. After doing A LOT of research I've decided to spend the extra coin on GSC/Kelford level cams vs the BC's. All my research is pointing me to the GSC Stage II's for a Dom 3 sized turbo. I may need to do some work on the heads to get clearance on the lobes (around the bucket seat area) on the intake side but that will just be done by the shop doing the head work.

-Chris
post #176 of 423 Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would still think on corn you'd be able to get a bit more, but I understand about the keeping it under a certain level...Might I recommend Supertech valve springs over the BC ones. Good choice on the cams. I highly recommend Kelford..

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #177 of 423 Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

What was your old numbers? I'm on the fence for how reliable airboy's numbers would line up with a actual dyno though.

Kirt
post #178 of 423 Old 08-27-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Old numbers are on the graph. Using the weight and temp. from today they were 302/317, but it was 302/327 using the weight in the car at that time along with lower temps/humidity.

-Chris
post #179 of 423 Old 08-28-2011, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh, I missed that part. Well...its just numbers. They went up which is good of course. I'm still wondering what a real dyno would say vs the airboy plot. Because a bad road or bumpy road could skew the numbers.....know what I mean? Not trying to be a dick.

Kirt
post #180 of 423 Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Update:

Got my bore gauge yesterday so I got to work measuring the main clearances.

All pretty close to what I wanted, and definitely all in spec

I'm running it pretty loose so I was targeting upwards of .0015" on the mains and they all came back at or just below that at .0013"-.0015". I have a big oil pump to fill those clearances with my P&L Port and Polished 11mm pump which outflows the JDM 12mm. I'll probably have to do some experimenting with oil weights and viscosity's once I get it in to see what oil the engine likes the best.

I'll measure the rods next, but I have a hunch I'll go to HX's on those once I mic em out.

I should be getting my hood this week and I hope to be putting that on on Saturday. After that, time to drive around like a ricer for two and a half weeks till I get into the paint shop.

Livin up to my name!Laugh!

-Chris