I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 11 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#151 Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Damn man, that sucks. But, its still better than a broken engine.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, turned out not so bad. Talked with aeromotive today and they're sending me a new pump for $110 once they get my broken one.

Being honest and sucking it up paid off... I'm sure I could have just gotten away saying the nozzle was broken when I got it or when I was actually putting it in but Karma would have come back to get me at some point in this build.

-Chris
#153 Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Yeah, turned out not so bad. Talked with aeromotive today and they're sending me a new pump for $110 once they get my broken one.

Being honest and sucking it up paid off... I'm sure I could have just gotten away saying the nozzle was broken when I got it or when I was actually putting it in but Karma would have come back to get me at some point in this build.
Well I don't believe in Karma, but I do believe in being honest and that is what makes things right in the world.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#154 Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cool man, I'm glad it worked out for you.

Kirt
#155 Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Aeromotive got my pump yesterday, sent me the new pump last night, got home from work today and UPS pulled up with my new pump. I guess living 3 hours from their place has it's benefits.

I can't even express in words how awesome a company Aeromotive is. Customer service is top notch and they seriously helped me out when they could have simply said tough luck.

Any fuel system needs I have in the future will absolutely be through Aeromotive even if they cost a bit more.

-Chris
#156 Old 07-23-2011, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cool beans. Yeah, if the customer support is awesome. I don't mind paying more.

Kirt
#157 Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Got the replacement pump in this evening after work... My wife working at a department store has it's advantages. I come home and she works until 9, guess that means I can work on the car without getting the stink eye

Anywho, after a bit more dremeling than I thought I would need after my first install fail, the pump went right in and fired up on the first try. It's a bit louder than the stock pump if you have the seat out and cover off, but once the car is put back together you can't hear a thing. It's pretty darn quiet. Oh, did I mention it flows almost double what the stock pump can flow?

I'm hoping to get to the injectors this Saturday (again, wife works 12-9, I can now get away with murder as far as I'm concerned), and probably tune on corn. Haven't heard back from my tuner though so we'll see, I don't blame him I've canceled on him twice because of my issues. All I know is I have almost an empty tank of gas and the only thing stopping me is the injectors at this point.

Give it 1-2 months and be on the lookout for my "clutch is slipping bad" posts.

-Chris
#158 Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Don't you have to do a cycle of E85 or two through the tank unless you completely drop it and empty it? I know with race gas you do. Just to make sure the race gas and what ever is left of the regular high octane pump gas don't throw the mixture off a bit.

Kirt
#159 Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yep, if I do install the injectors and go E85 we'll top off the tank with E85 and tune. Then when I run out of gas we'll top it off again and retune for the more pure mixture.

-Chris
#160 Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nice...I do remember some things that Chad told me then.

Kirt
#161 Old 07-26-2011, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Finally heard back from the tuner.....

We're on for Saturday.

The second the wife leaves for work I'll be doing the injectors and then we're tuning on E85.

Stoked/nervous.

-Chris
#162 Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

LOL, won't the wife notice the additional power when she rides with you?

Kirt
#163 Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

It's not that she doesn't know, just that I get crap for working on my car instead of spending time with her..

I feel the same way though, we spent the last 6 months apart and we've only been back together for a few weeks (had to move to Omaha ahead of her).

She thinks going to E85 is a terrible idea just because of finding it around town (never more than about 5 miles from a station here). The only thing I'm nervous about is having my clutch go out quick after I start running it. As long as the clutch lasts until about December I'll be fine. I guess I'm a bit nervous about the injector install too, I already have the GBOD off and have test removed the rails and they seem to be able to come off pretty easily. I guess I'm just being overly pessimistic about everything since I'm taking dropping and killing my first pump as an omen on the whole going E85 idea.

-Chris
#164 Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, unless the humidty and temps dropped in omaha (unless you have a climate controlled dyno). I wouldn't expect to see to much on the gain department.

Oh the women, don't like being ignored for a piece of metal. That gets them everytime. Well, I pray if works smoothly for you. Yeah, there are about 3 gas stations near me that have E85. One within 15 mins and the rest are over 30 mins away from my house. Not exactly convenient.

Kirt
#165 Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

There are 20 stations around Omaha, one is a mile away from my house... The rest are prettty much 5 minutes from anywhere I could be at a given time.

I'm starting to feel better about the whole deal, my main concern is the clutch going out but I know a couple guys with 20g's and the stock clutch held for a long time (20k+).

Saturday is looking to be about 90 and 70% humidity which I figured would kill the power some, but the 93 tune I have now was at about 75 degrees and also pretty humid.

-Chris