I have a problem... Bought a used STi Shortblock - Page 10 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#136 Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I'd say, thats more turbo than what Lil Shoaf used to run.
I believe Ken and I both run the same size turbo (35R)

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#137 Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I'd say, thats more turbo than what Lil Shoaf used to run.
I never said I was sane... Of course I am working on getting a set of Mfactory gears. I have heard good things about them so I will give them a try......
A GT35 is a pretty big turbo still.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#138 Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^On the contrary I've heard nothing but horror stories for Mfactory gears... Local guy in Utah I know blew a set with a VF39 and now runs PPG's with success on a T60 sized turbo (500+WHP/WTQ)...

This one: '06 Subaru Impreza WRX - The Right Stuff - Modified Magazine

-Chris
#139 Old 06-27-2011, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
^On the contrary I've heard nothing but horror stories for Mfactory gears... Local guy in Utah I know blew a set with a VF39 and now runs PPG's with success on a T60 sized turbo (500+WHP/WTQ)...

This one: '06 Subaru Impreza WRX - The Right Stuff - Modified Magazine
Huh, well that's not good.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#140 Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, MFactory Gears are said to barely be better than RAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
I believe Ken and I both run the same size turbo (35R)
This is true, but Ken's turbo isn't twin scroll. I think he is putting down something more along the lines of 450ish hp also. The last time I read a post about his car.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#141 Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Looking at Five-O's injectors I found these beauties, and since I am a huge Denso guy I might pick these up when I step up to a bigger turbo...
Denso - 1200cc Subaru WRX, Mazdaspeed Protege/Miata RX-7, Mitsu Eclipse - Import Fuel Injectors - Custom Milled High Performance Impreza WRX and Mazda RX7 Siemens Injectors - MD54344-1200

Sorry to hijack your thread....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#142 Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Thing with the Denso's is they won't tune nearly as well with such a large injector.... EV14's can be tuned to idle much smoother because of their lower IPW's. The ECU is what limits how low you can get them to idle, whereas the Denso's are the limiting factor.

Riding around in my tuner's STI with ID1000's (EV14), that thing idled better than stock.

On a side note, as a result of my wife's anniversary present and selling a few parts on the car this week I bough the next item on my list... ACT streetlite flywheel. Found a BNIB one on Nasioc for $200 shipped

-Chris
#143 Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
^Thing with the Denso's is they won't tune nearly as well with such a large injector.... EV14's can be tuned to idle much smoother because of their lower IPW's. The ECU is what limits how low you can get them to idle, whereas the Denso's are the limiting factor.

Riding around in my tuner's STI with ID1000's (EV14), that thing idled better than stock.

On a side note, as a result of my wife's anniversary present and selling a few parts on the car this week I bough the next item on my list... ACT streetlite flywheel. Found a BNIB one on Nasioc for $200 shipped
I've tuned a few cars with big Denso's and never had a problem with idle. I can't stand modded stock injectors at all now that I have dealt with a number of them. I am still looking out for a nice set of 1000+ injectors. Just trying to make an educated decision..Oh wait I didn't mean that...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#144 Old 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
How did you find a brand new in box (BNIB) streetlite for $200? Plus what did you sell off your car?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#145 Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Just some old stock parts... Trans mount, air box, shift knob, maybe sold my new perrin end links (I'll replace with Kartboys and make about $25 in the process).

I got pretty lucky with the flywheel. He bought the act HD clutch and flywheel combo, ended up not doing the mods to the car and wanted to get some money back on the deal... Those things retail for no less than $250 plus shipping so I got a steal.

I was trying to figure out if I wanted the exedy or act flywheels but the price pretty much made my mind up for me. The exedy was right between the prolite and streetlite in terms of weight, about 12 lbs. I'm probably better off with the heaver streetlite because I'm going with carbonetic for the clutch, which shaves a few pounds off the back of the crank over most other clutches.

-Chris
#146 Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Got a few things done on the car today (extra day off for the 4th is awesome btw).

Finally did the SS brake lines and ATE super blue fluid.

To:

And replaced these:

Followed by a good washing and the best five minutes I've ever spent on the car.

Steps: Spray engine with water from hose, spray simple green everywhere, scrub with big brush for a couple minutes. Rinse with water from same hose.

-Chris
#147 Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Got my flywheel. It also came with a pilot bearing, which I didn't know so I guess that saves me a bit of money.

$200 for a flywheel and pilot bearing that would have cost me about $290 from a store. Not a bad deal in my book.

-Chris
#148 Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Annnnd I took offer the drivers side GBOD... Holy shit that was the most painstaking thing I've ever had to do on the car. Got three of the bolts off without any issues but the bottom one by the air pump valve on the back of the engine, good lord... Took me about an hour just to undo the bolt, then another ten minutes trying to get the bracket out, and then another half hour to get the air pump and fuel dampener assembly put back together because they were in the way.

For all that, I figured they deserved this:

They are NEVER going back on the car and my injector install should be pretty quick now.

-Chris
#149 Old 07-09-2011, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah once those are off it cuts injector change time in half easily...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#150 Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

FML....

Putting in the new aeromotive fuel pump, all is going well. Get the fuel pump assembly modified for the new one to fit, turn around to go wash the shavings out and hear a clunk on the concrete of my garage floor... Turn around to see my nice new $170 fuel pump laying on the floor with the output nozzle broken off.

I ****ing hate myself right now.... Waiting on Jason so I can order another one.

On a side note if somebody wants an aeromotive 340lph fuel pump on the cheap let me know.

-Chris