Hybrid build/rebuild info - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

lryuzakilightx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Overpriced IMHO. But yes.

Cobb built my motor and they only way it could have been built so poorly is if they have no clue what they are doing or if it was done maliciously. Literally everything was done wrong. And they refused to take responsibility for it and warranty it even though it was clearly built wrong. It's worse because I wasn't some stranger. I'd known some of them for 10 years now.
Ok thanks for the tip. I will be doing all the labor and fun stuff so I will only need a place for a tune. I will see what other shop are around.

about the JDM Version 8, luckily the shop is in my area so maybe I can just get the engine alone and haggle for it. but this raises a new problem for me. when doing more research on JDM swapping I found Japanese engines are different due to the fact that they use something called wiring and US uses cord or something along those lines. I'm just trying to do this with out to many head aches, from what i gather if i go the jdm route i have to change alot of things to get it to work. any idea what i would need if i go that route?

btw thank you so much for helping me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-28-2012, 03:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Up date: did a lot more research on jdm ej20 v8 and I will probablly go that route for higher revving and all the little updates it has compared to the usdm ej257. I know I will have to deal with avcs and wiring harness and tune up the ecu. My only concern again is the transmission I don't want to buy a jdm transmission if I don't need one but idk if the jdm engine will work with a usdm transmission. If any one knows any thing about this please help. Thanks you guys have been a great help. Once I get all the info about this swap and start the swap I will try to take pics and post them.
#18 Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The JDM engine works with the USDM transmission. Your 5-speed isn't particularly strong though, and too much torque will snap it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#19 Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

ok thanks. things should start either by the end of this month or beginning of next. I'm so excited to start this project. I'm thinking about doing go pro vids of the project so i can show you guys all the big moments.
#20 Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Update: so during my other comments I was about to buy a 2002 wrx that had a blown engine. but it had every thing else. I was even getting the blown engine for parts. well it was very far for me and I told the dealer that I was coming to get it the day before. when I show up the dealer tells me another guy this morning put a deposit on it and is coming to get it even though i came from 100 miles away and told him in advance that i was coming he didn't even bother to tell me so i was screwed out of gas and my wrx dream.

But I started looking around again then I started coming across the rs which we all know are non turbos and look just like the wrx. So I decided to get a 2002 2.5rs that I found in new mexico. I contacted the guy he was really cool he said he would post the car as sold if i would even just come to look at it, so I took a road trip out there the car was rough and didn't have any major problems he even gave me a free 5 speed trans he had laying around for it because he was plan on keeping the car and not selling it but he needed the money for his debts. so he let me borrow it for a day to try it out i took it back to my hotel which was about 200 miles away the car ran nice even with the trans in the trunk. Bought it back to him the next day car still doing good told him I would take it. We did the paper work, made a new friend in new mexico, now i have a 2002 rs. so let the boosting begin! I might just do a wrx swap to save money from the sti swapping because of the six speed trans (i dont have money for both right now.) I feel like the wrx engine would work with the 5 speed trans or the rs. if any one knows tell me please. I did come across something once where a guy was saying that the subi trans can even work with other models like legacy. but yeah thats the update if any one knows about wrx swapping in to a rs body any help would be greatly appreciated.
#21 Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Garage
different ECU's and harnesses. You need a lot of stuff besides the motor. It does bolt up to the transmission. Stick with the 02-05 WRX, they're the only ones that are DBC like the RS...

#22 Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

alright cool. Thank you I will do more research about the smaller details. hopefully I can start this project soon.
#23 Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

iceberg113 is an unknown
Back from the dead! Thanks a ton Chase from one PNW'er to another. Long story short, spun a bearing in my '02 wrx and decided it was swap time. Pulled the engine and became busy with school, but as I am finishing up now I need to decide weather to run my WRX heads with a STi shortblock (which I would need to find) or the 22T short block (that I already have.) After reading up on both, I think the STi route may be way easier as a lot of the guys doing the 22T hybrid have all sorts of compression ratio issues. The list is a great starting point though and as for now I will continue to stare at the two subaru boat anchors that I have under my workbench. Thnumbs Up
#24 Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
If your going to run the WRX heads I'd stick with the 2.2L block. Even guys that have run 2.5L hybrids have issues with compression and detonation. This is due in part to the chamber size on the 2.0L heads. At least with the 2.2L the bore size is close in matching the head chamber size.They make a plug to help with detonation, but can't remember them right off.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#25 Old 07-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Garage
The 2.2L block is the pinacle of the EJ series. You can stroke it out too, not sure if that'a a good idea with the EJ205 heads (doubt that it is).