Hybrid build/rebuild info - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-26-2008, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hybrid build/rebuild info

I recently rebuilt my hybrid block, which is what I bought the car with. So, my knowledge of compatability when doing the initial hybrid build is limited. However, I thought this info might help someone. I'll include some pics, info I picked up along the way, and a pricing guide so you know what to expect when doing your build and also so there isn't too much time wasted waiting for parts you didn't know you needed.

First off, all the vacuum stuff is going to basically be the same if you are keeping your EJ20 heads, so label EVERYTHING! ON BOTH ENDS! I spent hours trying to wiggle stuff into place. I thought I labeled everything, and I still had about 20 misc. hoses, bolts, and brackets without homes that weren't fun to try to piece together. Vacuum routing is hard to get diagnosed over the internet, so make sure you take care of yourself on this.

The guides------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the teardown of the block-
Tearing down a block - A pictorial. Includes head removal. - NASIOC

Teardown and build-
Engine Building: EJ251 with STI Rods/Pistons and head work - NASIOC

And the Subaru tech manuals of course-
Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

I also got some STI specs somewhere that were helpful. I could attatch them all, or email them if you need. PM me if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prices-

$150-$200 misc small expenses. Acc. Belts, Oil, Filter, hoses, clamps, rags, lubes, sealants

$65- Replacement elbow between Turbo and IC, broke it. Subaru wants $275. I went to Napa and got an aftermarket one for $65.

$98- Injector flow testing and cleaning.

$52- Back pieces of timing belt cover. Plan on buying these from Subaru, they break easy

$80- .051" Cometic head gasket. It was $120 cheaper than anywhere else on ebay, so I took the risk. I did it a few other times too.:eek:

$300- CP forged pictons. Part #SC7420. Good luck finding that deal, expect to pay $500-$600 new. I got mine off of Lil Shoaf (THANKS!) here.

$382- Head rebuild, Valve grind, Pressure test, resurface, helicoils, valve adejust, seals. All done at Cylinder Head Specialties in Portland. Awesome people and shop.

$100- Hot tank, clean, inspect and Hone block at CHS.

$30- Polish crank at CHS

$150- Exedy OEM clutch kit on ebay. Look around, they still go for that.

$140- ARP head studs from private seller on ebay. Expect to pay $200. BUT USE THEM! I got into the block and found the last owner used them, so I still have them new in box, for sale PM me.

$50- Piston rings, OEM on ebay. They wanted well over $150 at Subaru I think.

$100- Gates Racing timing belt at Racing products and high performance auto parts | Gates Corporation.

$267- Gasket and Seal kit. You need this! Part #10105AA590. $302 at Subaru. I got form a dealership selling on ebay.

$83- Cosworth Main bearings, same seller on ebay

$65- Cosworth Rod bearings, same seller on ebay

Other parts - You'll need another cam seal for the WRX heads. The gasket kit has one of the same size, and one of another for the STI heads. The seal was about $20 I believe.
At least around $10 and several trips replacing bolts that broke/stripped.

----------------------------------------------------
Misc info-
Look up the info about how to seperate the transmission and the engine. With a 10mm bolt, you have to thread a pin that releases the clutch fork. We pryed them apart for hours and destroyed my pressure plate and scarred up the bell housing.

Take out the exhaust O2 sensor before pulling the block. It's hard to take out, but it can get mangled being down low and sticking out during the removal.

There is a metal nipple that is on the STI block, by the block seam toward the bell housing. It is not used with WRX heads. Cap it off or rout it into the driver side vac system with a T. I just saved you like 3 months worth of headaches. That took me forever to get that info. It's pic 5.

You are going to have some small lips on the end of the oil rings. They didn't put notches for these in the CP pistons. Clip the little teeth-lips off and file them down. Pic 3

Doing the wrist pins- I used a long piece of 10 guage ground wire and made a hook that I hammered over tight. Worked great for pulling the pins. I also bought a LOOONG flat head cabinet driver. That was great for pushing them from the back.
Attached Images

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-28-2008, 03:12 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Chase I wont ever do that (I think, lol) But nice break down and pics. Im sure this will help someone in future.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 25 Old 11-29-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thanks, I hope it does. There were a few people here talking about wanting to do a hybrid recently, so I made myself get it done. I've been saying I'd post this stuff since I finished the build back in August

Also one more tip, and this goes for anyone who wrenches on cars at all, get a rotator ratchet. That's the kind where the head can be turned by simply twisting the handle EITHER direction, and it will make the head ratchet. Awesome for tight spaces, I don't know how I would've done the work without it. $15 - $30 will make your work so much easier. They are made by several companies, and I've never seen one in the stores, just the internet.

-Brandon
post #4 of 25 Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Just wanted to update after changing my spark plugs for the first time in my new engine. I made a post about what a god-awful time I had. It basically stems from the fact that Subaru uses an aluminum engine, good for weight reasons, bad for durablity and tear down/rebuild multiple times. BE very careful when tearing it apart, this is the 2nd build this block and head set have been through, and I had a LOT of stripped threads.

As a result, when I had my heads rebuilt ( the only thing I didn't do myself, now regretting it,) they told me my spark plug threads were getting nasty and installed Helicoils, like the one you see in the first pic. The problem being I feel the spring design really sucks since anypart of it that doesn't get 100% thread locked will have play and has potential to flex and continue breaking the seal on the rest of the coil, until it comes free from the threads, like it did to me. If you've changed your plugs, you could imagine what a nightmare this would be, because getting a new helicoil in is no walk in the park. Almost all sleeve style helicoils, like in pic 2, have a different thread pitch outside or different diameter and won't thread into the tap for a spring style helicoil. Fortunately, there was one company that basically made what you see in pic 2, but in a brass finish and the right size to be threaded into the same tap as I had for my current helicoils.

The moral is: If you find your self in need of helicoils in your spark plug holes, I suggest using solid sleeve style helicoils, there seems to be less of a chance of them coming free once you no longer have access to your plug threads. I just wanted to pass this on, because I didn't know the option for solid piece helicoils existed when I got mine, they just threw in the crappy ones for me.
Attached Images

-Brandon
post #5 of 25 Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Great info chase. I threw some rep your way (ok, a lot of rep). It was long overdue.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 25 Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Mosc Much appreciated.

-Brandon
post #7 of 25 Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

llicea05 is an unknown
There is a metal nipple that is on the STI block, by the block seam toward the bell housing. It is not used with WRX heads. Cap it off or rout it into the driver side vac system with a T. I just saved you like 3 months worth of headaches. That took me forever to get that info. It's pic 5.

i know this is an old thread but i just put an sti block on my 04 wrx and was wondering if any one had pics of how they caped this nipple or routed it to the driver side vac system. THANKS
post #8 of 25 Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

lryuzakilightx is an unknown
Ok I'am probably about to ask a really stupid question but its only because I know next to nothing about cars. I've looked around a lot and I finally came across your info it seem like it will save me a lot of time and headaches so thank you for the hard work you have done.

NOW! for the big stupid question. Does or will this InFo work for a 02' wrx hybrid swap with sti short block?

I'm sorry to ask this but all the threads I have looked at people are only confusing me saying you "NEED" this or "NO you NEED THAT" its just a big circle of contradictions so my question is stupid but simple thank you for your time.

Daniel
post #9 of 25 Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lryuzakilightx View Post
Ok I'am probably about to ask a really stupid question but its only because I know next to nothing about cars. I've looked around a lot and I finally came across your info it seem like it will save me a lot of time and headaches so thank you for the hard work you have done.

NOW! for the big stupid question. Does or will this InFo work for a 02' wrx hybrid swap with sti short block?

I'm sorry to ask this but all the threads I have looked at people are only confusing me saying you "NEED" this or "NO you NEED THAT" its just a big circle of contradictions so my question is stupid but simple thank you for your time.

Daniel
Back when Chase wrote this info he owned a Bugeye. So, in short...the answer to your question is yes. It will work for a 02 wrx.

You're still going to need a custom tune after all the swapping is done. Because your compression will be different from the previous engine.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #10 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Back when Chase wrote this info he owned a Bugeye. So, in short...the answer to your question is yes. It will work for a 02 wrx.

You're still going to need a custom tune after all the swapping is done. Because your compression will be different from the previous engine.
Thank you for you time. sorry to bring back a old thread. I read this whole guide then at the end I realized he was making a long block engine. so does this mean a sti Long block will work in a 02?

I was going for a sti ej257 short block. one last question will i need to upgrade the transmission to a 6 speed or will ej257 work with a 5 speed?
post #11 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Shortblock, injectors, tune. It will work with your transmission.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Shortblock, injectors, tune. It will work with your transmission.
ok thanks. its funny i was looking at your profile to see if you could help me then i saw your latest post was on here. haha cool thank you again.
post #13 of 25 Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Be aware, hybrids are very knock prone and I don't know of any that have reached higher mileage. Some people alleviate this by having the heads machined out to match the block.

Also, word for the wise: Avoid Cobb's Plano shop.
post #14 of 25 Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Be aware, hybrids are very knock prone and I don't know of any that have reached higher mileage. Some people alleviate this by having the heads machined out to match the block.

Also, word for the wise: Avoid Cobb's Plano shop.
Ok will do. any reason why to avoid it? lastly do you think this will work for my purposes? Subaru WRX STi EJ20T V8 JDM Version 8 Engine 6spd Trans ECU Intercooler Japanese | eBay
post #15 of 25 Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Overpriced IMHO. But yes.

Cobb built my motor and they only way it could have been built so poorly is if they have no clue what they are doing or if it was done maliciously. Literally everything was done wrong. And they refused to take responsibility for it and warranty it even though it was clearly built wrong. It's worse because I wasn't some stranger. I'd known some of them for 10 years now.