how to find tdc ? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

beger781 is an unknown
how to find tdc ?

My motor was rotated over with out the timing belt on .. how do I find tdc or where to put the crank so I can line up my timing marks . Which side is number one cylinder one. Any info would help thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Edit, ok apparently my little image didn't work so well.

1/3 are on the passenger side, 1 being closer to the front of the car. There should be a mark on the crank to show where to line it up to set timing, you don't want to actually rotate the engine around as you could have some valves open and that's a bad thing.

-Chris
#3 Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to

Number one is the front cylinder on the passenger side. If the belt is off the valves will be closed.

Cullen
#4 Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Great diagram! I'll be using that if I ever get my car back and drive it 6k more miles

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
To the OP, with Subaru engines it is not truly TDC like you would use on an inline 4 or 6. When the crank gear is in the position for timing (mark up, woodruff key down) the pistons are actually all at mid stroke, so that no contact can be made with the valves as you set the cam positions.

Better than that diagram is the procedure (with illustrations) in the shop manual which can be found at Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

Cullen
#6 Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

beger781 is an unknown
Thanks I couldn't find a shop manual anywhere yet. And yeah I'm used to Ford 5 liter v8 motors. These 2 liters are a different world to me
#7 Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
^ Great diagram! I'll be using that if I ever get my car back and drive it 6k more miles
Why is that?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 PM

I think John's planning on doing his belt etc. at 90K miles

Cullen
#9 Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Damn and I thought I had a lot of miles on my poor car.

Kirt
#10 Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 PM

I've got 182K :eek:

Cullen
#11 Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
I think John's planning on doing his belt etc. at 90K miles
Yeppers. Currently have 84k. I have all the parts for the 90k + timing belt maintenance so I was planning to do it all at once and get it behind me. I plan on having this car for many more years, so I'm trying to stay up on maintenance.

John
07 WRX
#12 Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

I plan on keeping my car until Subaru stops making EJs or forged EJs get hard to come by. LOL

Kirt