Subaru WRX Forum banner

Heres a list, feel free to comment, complain and suggest

6K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  RcrsWetDream 
#1 ·
So some guys here were very nice to share their input and expertise about some engine components that Im still trying to learn about. Some of you also know that Im working on getting my engine and transmission built by DS1 in Chicago. I just got the price list and parts that will be going to both the engine and transmission (except for the valve train which Im still trying to figure out if I should or not). So here is the list to view and see what I will probably be going with.

Attachments

#3 ·
More than like you have, but with this setup, putting 400 AWHP through it, Im hoping to not have as much of a problem, and I will still be right below what a stock STI is. Yes its a better platform, but penny for penny, it will be as reliable now, or thats my justification.

I did try and convince my girlfriend to let me trade up, but she didnt, hence why I got the 20G and now am planning for the next step(s).

#5 ·
Not yet, and hoping they wont. This is going to happen around March/April when I go deploy again. I should be getting a re-enlistment bonus again. The money I had saved for this just go invested for my son thats on the way and everything else. This is just my plan and Im being supported by my girlfriend so Im going to try and make it happen.

#7 ·
See thats what Im struggling with myself. But I dont want the down time if or when the car does crap out on me. And I dont want to have anything really holding me back, and the down time of being gone for 12 months, well thats easy to eat becuase I wont be around to drive the car. I am about 75% sure Im going through with it. Just looking for advice and opinions, and I appreciate yours Mosc.

Reactions: nagyhead
#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
The prices are way too high on parts.. and some of the machine work seems a little high, but that may be the going rate for your area. The price on the gears are the same as PPGs, which I believe have the highest tolerance for abuse of any of those available for the WRX/STi.

And what turbo setup will you be running? The Exedy stage 1 may not be enough. I'd also recommend using the Subaru oem timing belt.. not only is it a lot cheaper, but it's as strong as most (if not all) aftermarket belts (which sometimes stretch), AND comes with timing marks to make setting the timing much much easier.

OEM water pumps cost around 60-65 bucks new. Oil pumps are around 120-130. The gasket kit is around 220 on ebay, but it's genuine Subaru. ARP head studs are around 180-190.

Now on to pistons. You can get a set of Wiseco pistons/rings for 429, or piston and Eagle rods for 729, instead of a whopping 1400 DOLLARS!!! That's a savings of over 1000 bucks.

I'd just get a labor quote, and get the parts yourself... you'll save a ton.

EDIT: And for those of you who might doubt the prices I gave, just Google them. That's how I found them.

#10 ·
I guess fundamentally, I'd say sell your car and get something in worse shape to build up on. Maybe not an STi but with the kind of bucks you're talking about, I'd expect some 150k miles blown tranny WRX would be right up your alley. Probably save near enough to cover these costs in swapping to that car.

#11 · (Edited)
This makes sense to me. If you are going to replace everything you might as well start with nothing working and get yourself some cash. Also, I agree that some of this pricing is pretty high, and you should at least look into getting the parts at better prices. There is a group buy on nasioc for PPGs at $3100. Seems like you could just trade your car for one with a blown tranny and $3100 and basically come out with a free transmission upgrade. I know you want as little downtime as possible but your car won't be working for the duration of all this service anyway.

Good luck.

#12 ·
EJ Rex thanks. I knew some of the parts were high, but at the same time I didnt and still dont know all the components for a good strong engine build. Im learning and with their list it does help alot. Now as far as the tranny goes, I DONT go to NASIOC anymore, cant stand the people there one bit, and when I contacted adrewtech directly they were no where near the price they are advertiesed in that thread. They were about $2k more with the gears and everything else.

A bit overkill, probably, but its a thought and a plan, kind of. Easier to get a new car? Maybe, but then swapping everything else I already hvae on the car (TBE,, turbo, supporting mods) I dont know, this is the first car that I have bought new, it will eventually be strictly a track car, but being in the army, family, this is something I have been saving for since I got the car. I actually do have just a car fund and its slowly building up for this. I do appreciate everyone looking at and chiming it, no hard feelings at all. Thanks.

#13 ·
I really don't want you to take this the wrong way but I've never heard of a built motor like that lasting for very long. I mean, it's probably more what people do with them then any specific parts, it's just not something that generally goes along with reliability. Built up motors are more for people who don't mind the cost of rebuilding their motors in the future as well. To me, I get into discussions about daily driver reliability when you get into some of these mods. A lot of people who have been through what you're looking at end up getting out, buying an STi, going stage 2, and leaving it be. You're realistically in that type of money range.

Certainly you'll have a great platform to work with but how much do you want to exploit that? How much reliability do you think you'll have at 400whp? I mean, Shoaf is a good example, as is EJ Rex. I'd love to hear more about EJ's take on this but it seems like when you get to that point, you're just not expecting 100k+ miles out of your motor.

Number 1 though, I'd say do what makes you happy. We're not driving hundai's here. We all obviously have some fun in us. Maybe the experience of building up a car is something you want to do for it's own sake. The journey is it's own reward or some such.

#17 ·
Certainly you'll have a great platform to work with but how much do you want to exploit that? How much reliability do you think you'll have at 400whp? I mean, Shoaf is a good example, as is EJ Rex. I'd love to hear more about EJ's take on this but it seems like when you get to that point, you're just not expecting 100k+ miles out of your motor.
Just my .02 here... go ahead and do the trans upgrade. That way regardless of what you do with the engine, you'll know the trans can take it.

In general, forged pistons are not recommended for a daily driver.. but, if your car's gonna see more track time than street driving, or you're planning on using methanol or nitrous, keep going the way you're headed.
Otherwise, consider some Hypereutectic pistons (silica alloy) like what comes in the EJ257 and the V8+ JDM STi.. they're better than standard cast aluminum, and reliable for both street and some strip driving.
As far as the rest of the parts, search around for the best prices, cause I know you can do a LOT better than the quotes from that shop.

As far as the motor lasting, if it's built professionally with the right tolerances and corresponding parts, and tuned correctly, it should last for quite a while... but know that regular racing along with severe driving conditions will shorten it's life.

#15 ·
Yeah, I think josh is considering taking it off the road if he does this build. I say keep it simple if you go built. CP pistons and forged rods. If you blow that up. It wouldn't take much to take a new block and build another one. ;)

#16 ·
Mosc, this was posted to hear what people thought about the parts, the price, everything. And in such everything here is being taken with a grain of salt. Im honestly trying to learn. I just want to be show/prove that a WRX is just as capable as an STI. Im not getting a big head over this or anything but I know alot of guys say go to them if you want more than just stage 2 or more out of a car most of the time. But secondly Kirt (Turmic) is right. This car will be street legal, but not as much of a DD anymore. I plain to drive it often, but also have a second (third if you count my other WRX) to get me from "A" to "B". Im still weighing the options, and really enjoy getting so much feedback, thank you all for participating in the thread.

#20 ·
I would just upgrade the tranny and stick with the stock motor until it gives up the ghost. You would be surprised how much the stock motor will hold up on with a good tune and decent oil. $1300 for camshafts? Heeeeeeeelllllll no..........

#21 ·
^^I agree with you. But i also know Josh!! He put a mustang motor in a Ford Focus and converted it to rear wheel drive!!
If you have a DD then i say beef it the hell out, make it a monster. Did you talk to Dom, I would imagine he can do for a LOT cheaper, I know he can get all the parts cheaper at least.

#22 ·
EJ, thanks for the feedback, Im taking this all in, and its very helpful. And yes the tranny is a MUST, it will be done for sure.

Dumdum, I know thats crazy for the cams, thats one of the first things that will be changed for a different brand if I do still go this route.

And yes Mike is correct. I do like to be over the top sometimes. I really havent contacted Dom becuase this will go on after Im down in Kansas, while Im deployed. I was talking to the girlfriend, telling her I was thinking different. She said if I wanted to its more than fine with her, and Im allowed to get a beater or different car for a DD.

Thanks again everyone.

#23 ·
Here's my opinion given that I've been down this road before with my old Mustang. I did a fully balanced and blueprinted engine to the tune of about $6500. It became a weekend only car pretty fast after that. Then it became a pain to store, insure, etc. And I ended up driving an Integra around all the time instead of my car that I had spent some much time and effort building.

I've heard only good things DS1, but I have heard of fully built motors failing pretty fast, so I wouldn't call it 100% reliable.

You will never be able to get all that money back out of our car, and while I admire your efforts to show that a WRX is as good of a car as an STI, it just plain isn't.

A stock motor with a good tune should be able to hold up just fine. My mechanic said they can occasionally punch a hole in a piston, but all you need to do is put different pistons in when that happens.

If it were my money burning a hole in my pocket I would find a gently used STI (not 07) and simply move all the things from your car to it. You could also hold on to the money in a "just in case" fund and fix whatever does break when it actually happens. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I learned my lesson from my Mustang, and that's why I'm stopping at Stage 2. I'm stuffing money in the freezer for my STI fund. :D

#24 ·
An STI is not in my picture, sorry I wont do it after having my WRX. I was already contemplating that and the girlfriend said no, Im cool with that. And honestly the only way or reason I would ever get rid of this car after this work was done is if it were totaled. But opinions and advice are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

#26 ·
The flip side to the whole "working platform" as a starting point is the fact that you don't have the damage that also needs fixed. If the block is blown there is a good chance that you would have to tack on sleeves or a new short block to that price. Also depending on damage new heads.. But on the flip side of that, if I had it all to do over again I would most likely do it differently if I knew then what I know now. Don't get me wrong I love my car and it's a blast to drive and fast as all. BUT... I'm afraid to really drive it because I'm afraid to break something.. LOL.

#28 ·
I would not go as overboard. Maybe a nice 16G on the Stock WRX with supporting mods. Ohh, a transmission upgrade, but not PPGs due to cost.. Still fun to drive but not so crazy. Now realize that I know that I would most likely still get bored with it and end up doing more. lol.. I'm hard to satisfy..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.