Subaru WRX Forum banner

Heres a list, feel free to comment, complain and suggest

6K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  RcrsWetDream 
#1 ·
So some guys here were very nice to share their input and expertise about some engine components that Im still trying to learn about. Some of you also know that Im working on getting my engine and transmission built by DS1 in Chicago. I just got the price list and parts that will be going to both the engine and transmission (except for the valve train which Im still trying to figure out if I should or not). So here is the list to view and see what I will probably be going with.

Attachments

#29 ·
Haha...I see. Yeah, I'm going to go with a 20g or a dom 1.0. Something like that and all the supporting mods. Hopefully that'll be enough to tide me over. Stage 2 just makes the mod bug that much more noticeable.

#30 ·
I know that the tranny is a MUST, its going to be done. Still contemplating the engine. From me talking to them, the car should still drive "like stock" with the parts listed, thats my biggest concern. I just want to know that the car can handle the 20 or so (or whatever it takes) PSI I would like to run through it and handle the 400 or so HP I would like to hit.

#31 ·
I know after my cars warmed up on this motor it behaves just like the stocker did...but when its warming up its pretty unhappy...and your car should definitely be able to hit the 400 mark with those parts...I just wouldn't run it everyday if I were you

#32 ·
Ok well to add to this, I took all the advice and thoughts, shopped around some, takled with the girlfriend and decided to not go with the engine build. I am still going with the transmission, clucth and flywheel though. Since I will be saving alot of money by not doing the engine I figured the next logical step would be some suspension upgrades. So I know sways and endlinks are a must. So I have been trying to do some research and read up on reviews. I came across some Perrins in a front/rear combo:Perrin Performance - Sway Bar Combo F&R 25mm Any thoughts on these? I also want to lower and stiffen up the ride some, so I saw these on their site also:Perrin Performance - Coilovers PERRIN / H&R and also get the camber bolts that are recommended on the page. The height drop isnt that bad I figure, being around an inch front and rear. Now I do plan to eventually track the car, get some driving lessons. I figured this setup with the power Im now making would be a decently rounded car with just some upgraded pads/rotors/lines when the time comes to change them out. Guess Im just aksing for opinions again. Thanks everyone.

#34 ·
I have read that, but its probably like Cobbs, its the endlinks not the actual bars. A little more noise is nothing to me though. Put the Dp on, the BPV and tubro spool opened up. Put the intake it, it got louder. Upgraded the turbo ad BPV, now its an orchestra under the hood with all that stuff sucking air, spinning, and releasing air. I do appreciate your feedback though Baller, I just thought that the package deal was decent, and the coilovers also look pretty nice.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
newtothegame,

Here is my .02 about building a motor up.

If you want to do it, do it. If you've been saving the money to do something to a car that you think will be sweet, don't hold back. The only thing I can't say enough is to do it yourself. I know you said you were being deployed and won't have the time to do it now. If you're being deployed, then you can't drive the car anyways while your gone, so work on the car when you get back. Save a lot of money on labor and do it yourself. I wouldn't know anything about engines if I hadn't have taken the plunge and rebuild my buddy's old jeep with him. it was a long process with a hell of a learning curve but it started up on the first crank and still runs like a champ two years later. You're the one that says you want to learn about the internals, and this is the way to do it.

For right now my 09 is my dd and I want to keep it at stage 3. In a few years at my current 80 dollars a week like I'm doing now I'll have all the money I'll need saved up to do whatever I want to the car. I actually calculated and it'll take me 3 years to save up 12.5k, which is what I'm thinking I'll need at a minimum to run 500 awhp with a ppg dogbox. Either way at that point the car won't be my dd and I'll have all the time in the world to tear into it without worrying about being able to go to work on Monday.

One other thing I recommend: buy a good builders guide for the vehicle. Not the generic "how to maintain manual" but the 150 dollar two or three book set for the car. Those guides are a lifesaver when it comes to the simple stuff like what pattern to torque your head bolts and torque settings for almost every bolt on the car. It obviously has way better info than just that but it's the stuff you don't think of that they did and you're covered.

EDIT: Oh and I have the perrin 25mm front and 22mm rear bars on my car with the endlinks and I love em. I took a corner at 65 (not joking) and I felt a bit of oversteer (gasp). I've heard very bad things about cobb, especially the rear bar being splined or whatever. I've heard the ends of the bar tend to strip.

I also have no increased NVH or clunking from the perrin's. I do have the subframe lockdown kit sitting on the floor and hopefully going on saturday, and I hear that does increase the NVH

Tip on installing the rear bar: take off the axle back section of your exhaust.

#36 ·
I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.