Heres a list, feel free to comment, complain and suggest - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Mosc, this was posted to hear what people thought about the parts, the price, everything. And in such everything here is being taken with a grain of salt. Im honestly trying to learn. I just want to be show/prove that a WRX is just as capable as an STI. Im not getting a big head over this or anything but I know alot of guys say go to them if you want more than just stage 2 or more out of a car most of the time. But secondly Kirt (Turmic) is right. This car will be street legal, but not as much of a DD anymore. I plain to drive it often, but also have a second (third if you count my other WRX) to get me from "A" to "B". Im still weighing the options, and really enjoy getting so much feedback, thank you all for participating in the thread.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

EJ Rex is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via Yahoo to EJ Rex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Certainly you'll have a great platform to work with but how much do you want to exploit that? How much reliability do you think you'll have at 400whp? I mean, Shoaf is a good example, as is EJ Rex. I'd love to hear more about EJ's take on this but it seems like when you get to that point, you're just not expecting 100k+ miles out of your motor.
Just my .02 here... go ahead and do the trans upgrade. That way regardless of what you do with the engine, you'll know the trans can take it.

In general, forged pistons are not recommended for a daily driver.. but, if your car's gonna see more track time than street driving, or you're planning on using methanol or nitrous, keep going the way you're headed.
Otherwise, consider some Hypereutectic pistons (silica alloy) like what comes in the EJ257 and the V8+ JDM STi.. they're better than standard cast aluminum, and reliable for both street and some strip driving.
As far as the rest of the parts, search around for the best prices, cause I know you can do a LOT better than the quotes from that shop.

As far as the motor lasting, if it's built professionally with the right tolerances and corresponding parts, and tuned correctly, it should last for quite a while... but know that regular racing along with severe driving conditions will shorten it's life.

04 SRR WRX 370whp / 401wtq / EJ205
05 PBM GTO 440whp / 470wtq
http://www.youtube.com/user/EJRex
#18 Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Good input, thanks.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#19 Old 07-29-2009, 01:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

EJ Rex is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via Yahoo to EJ Rex

04 SRR WRX 370whp / 401wtq / EJ205
05 PBM GTO 440whp / 470wtq
http://www.youtube.com/user/EJRex
#20 Old 07-29-2009, 04:05 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
I would just upgrade the tranny and stick with the stock motor until it gives up the ghost. You would be surprised how much the stock motor will hold up on with a good tune and decent oil. $1300 for camshafts? Heeeeeeeelllllll no..........

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#21 Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
^^I agree with you. But i also know Josh!! He put a mustang motor in a Ford Focus and converted it to rear wheel drive!!
If you have a DD then i say beef it the hell out, make it a monster. Did you talk to Dom, I would imagine he can do for a LOT cheaper, I know he can get all the parts cheaper at least.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#22 Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
EJ, thanks for the feedback, Im taking this all in, and its very helpful. And yes the tranny is a MUST, it will be done for sure.

Dumdum, I know thats crazy for the cams, thats one of the first things that will be changed for a different brand if I do still go this route.

And yes Mike is correct. I do like to be over the top sometimes. I really havent contacted Dom becuase this will go on after Im down in Kansas, while Im deployed. I was talking to the girlfriend, telling her I was thinking different. She said if I wanted to its more than fine with her, and Im allowed to get a beater or different car for a DD.

Thanks again everyone.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#23 Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Here's my opinion given that I've been down this road before with my old Mustang. I did a fully balanced and blueprinted engine to the tune of about $6500. It became a weekend only car pretty fast after that. Then it became a pain to store, insure, etc. And I ended up driving an Integra around all the time instead of my car that I had spent some much time and effort building.

I've heard only good things DS1, but I have heard of fully built motors failing pretty fast, so I wouldn't call it 100% reliable.

You will never be able to get all that money back out of our car, and while I admire your efforts to show that a WRX is as good of a car as an STI, it just plain isn't.

A stock motor with a good tune should be able to hold up just fine. My mechanic said they can occasionally punch a hole in a piston, but all you need to do is put different pistons in when that happens.

If it were my money burning a hole in my pocket I would find a gently used STI (not 07) and simply move all the things from your car to it. You could also hold on to the money in a "just in case" fund and fix whatever does break when it actually happens. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I learned my lesson from my Mustang, and that's why I'm stopping at Stage 2. I'm stuffing money in the freezer for my STI fund.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#24 Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 PM

An STI is not in my picture, sorry I wont do it after having my WRX. I was already contemplating that and the girlfriend said no, Im cool with that. And honestly the only way or reason I would ever get rid of this car after this work was done is if it were totaled. But opinions and advice are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#25 Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I'm the same...I know I've dumped alot more money into the wagon than if I had an STi with similar power but I wouldn't change it for the world

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#26 Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
The flip side to the whole "working platform" as a starting point is the fact that you don't have the damage that also needs fixed. If the block is blown there is a good chance that you would have to tack on sleeves or a new short block to that price. Also depending on damage new heads.. But on the flip side of that, if I had it all to do over again I would most likely do it differently if I knew then what I know now. Don't get me wrong I love my car and it's a blast to drive and fast as all. BUT... I'm afraid to really drive it because I'm afraid to break something.. LOL.

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#27 Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Interesting point Shoaf. Which really makes me wonder how you'd do it differently? STI or just not as extreme of a project?
#28 Old 08-02-2009, 06:26 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
I would not go as overboard. Maybe a nice 16G on the Stock WRX with supporting mods. Ohh, a transmission upgrade, but not PPGs due to cost.. Still fun to drive but not so crazy. Now realize that I know that I would most likely still get bored with it and end up doing more. lol.. I'm hard to satisfy..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#29 Old 08-02-2009, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Haha...I see. Yeah, I'm going to go with a 20g or a dom 1.0. Something like that and all the supporting mods. Hopefully that'll be enough to tide me over. Stage 2 just makes the mod bug that much more noticeable.
#30 Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 PM

I know that the tranny is a MUST, its going to be done. Still contemplating the engine. From me talking to them, the car should still drive "like stock" with the parts listed, thats my biggest concern. I just want to know that the car can handle the 20 or so (or whatever it takes) PSI I would like to run through it and handle the 400 or so HP I would like to hit.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"