Heres a list, feel free to comment, complain and suggest - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Heres a list, feel free to comment, complain and suggest

So some guys here were very nice to share their input and expertise about some engine components that Im still trying to learn about. Some of you also know that Im working on getting my engine and transmission built by DS1 in Chicago. I just got the price list and parts that will be going to both the engine and transmission (except for the valve train which Im still trying to figure out if I should or not). So here is the list to view and see what I will probably be going with.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Est_48_from_DS1_Motorsports.pdf (107.8 KB, 211 views)

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
What do I think? I think I saw a good condition WRX for less than that bill

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
More than like you have, but with this setup, putting 400 AWHP through it, Im hoping to not have as much of a problem, and I will still be right below what a stock STI is. Yes its a better platform, but penny for penny, it will be as reliable now, or thats my justification.

I did try and convince my girlfriend to let me trade up, but she didnt, hence why I got the 20G and now am planning for the next step(s).

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 AM

Garage
Did the motor and tranny both blow?

post #5 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Not yet, and hoping they wont. This is going to happen around March/April when I go deploy again. I should be getting a re-enlistment bonus again. The money I had saved for this just go invested for my son thats on the way and everything else. This is just my plan and Im being supported by my girlfriend so Im going to try and make it happen.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 AM

Garage
It seems like a crime to me to start with a fully working playform for this but it seems like your mind is made up so good luck! Should be a great car.

post #7 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

See thats what Im struggling with myself. But I dont want the down time if or when the car does crap out on me. And I dont want to have anything really holding me back, and the down time of being gone for 12 months, well thats easy to eat becuase I wont be around to drive the car. I am about 75% sure Im going through with it. Just looking for advice and opinions, and I appreciate yours Mosc.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #8 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Yea it does seem like too much when everything is working.

But it sounds like it will be a well built race car. Minus the suspension mods.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #9 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 03:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

EJ Rex is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via Yahoo to EJ Rex
The prices are way too high on parts.. and some of the machine work seems a little high, but that may be the going rate for your area. The price on the gears are the same as PPGs, which I believe have the highest tolerance for abuse of any of those available for the WRX/STi.

And what turbo setup will you be running? The Exedy stage 1 may not be enough. I'd also recommend using the Subaru oem timing belt.. not only is it a lot cheaper, but it's as strong as most (if not all) aftermarket belts (which sometimes stretch), AND comes with timing marks to make setting the timing much much easier.

OEM water pumps cost around 60-65 bucks new. Oil pumps are around 120-130. The gasket kit is around 220 on ebay, but it's genuine Subaru. ARP head studs are around 180-190.

Now on to pistons. You can get a set of Wiseco pistons/rings for 429, or piston and Eagle rods for 729, instead of a whopping 1400 DOLLARS!!! That's a savings of over 1000 bucks.

I'd just get a labor quote, and get the parts yourself... you'll save a ton.

EDIT: And for those of you who might doubt the prices I gave, just Google them. That's how I found them.

04 SRR WRX 370whp / 401wtq / EJ205
05 PBM GTO 440whp / 470wtq
http://www.youtube.com/user/EJRex

Last edited by mosc; 07-28-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Removed Double Post
post #10 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 AM

Garage
I guess fundamentally, I'd say sell your car and get something in worse shape to build up on. Maybe not an STi but with the kind of bucks you're talking about, I'd expect some 150k miles blown tranny WRX would be right up your alley. Probably save near enough to cover these costs in swapping to that car.

post #11 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I guess fundamentally, I'd say sell your car and get something in worse shape to build up on. Maybe not an STi but with the kind of bucks you're talking about, I'd expect some 150k miles blown tranny WRX would be right up your alley. Probably save near enough to cover these costs in swapping to that car.
This makes sense to me. If you are going to replace everything you might as well start with nothing working and get yourself some cash. Also, I agree that some of this pricing is pretty high, and you should at least look into getting the parts at better prices. There is a group buy on nasioc for PPGs at $3100. Seems like you could just trade your car for one with a blown tranny and $3100 and basically come out with a free transmission upgrade. I know you want as little downtime as possible but your car won't be working for the duration of all this service anyway.

Good luck.

Last edited by VisiX; 07-28-2009 at 11:18 AM.
post #12 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

EJ Rex thanks. I knew some of the parts were high, but at the same time I didnt and still dont know all the components for a good strong engine build. Im learning and with their list it does help alot. Now as far as the tranny goes, I DONT go to NASIOC anymore, cant stand the people there one bit, and when I contacted adrewtech directly they were no where near the price they are advertiesed in that thread. They were about $2k more with the gears and everything else.

A bit overkill, probably, but its a thought and a plan, kind of. Easier to get a new car? Maybe, but then swapping everything else I already hvae on the car (TBE,, turbo, supporting mods) I dont know, this is the first car that I have bought new, it will eventually be strictly a track car, but being in the army, family, this is something I have been saving for since I got the car. I actually do have just a car fund and its slowly building up for this. I do appreciate everyone looking at and chiming it, no hard feelings at all. Thanks.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #13 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Garage
I really don't want you to take this the wrong way but I've never heard of a built motor like that lasting for very long. I mean, it's probably more what people do with them then any specific parts, it's just not something that generally goes along with reliability. Built up motors are more for people who don't mind the cost of rebuilding their motors in the future as well. To me, I get into discussions about daily driver reliability when you get into some of these mods. A lot of people who have been through what you're looking at end up getting out, buying an STi, going stage 2, and leaving it be. You're realistically in that type of money range.

Certainly you'll have a great platform to work with but how much do you want to exploit that? How much reliability do you think you'll have at 400whp? I mean, Shoaf is a good example, as is EJ Rex. I'd love to hear more about EJ's take on this but it seems like when you get to that point, you're just not expecting 100k+ miles out of your motor.

Number 1 though, I'd say do what makes you happy. We're not driving hundai's here. We all obviously have some fun in us. Maybe the experience of building up a car is something you want to do for it's own sake. The journey is it's own reward or some such.

post #14 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
i think a stage 2 STI would be pretty fun....and built motors do only last so long...but its like Mosc said We didnt go buy a new Kia for a reason. Do what makes you happy... i mean it is your money
post #15 of 36 Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, I think josh is considering taking it off the road if he does this build. I say keep it simple if you go built. CP pistons and forged rods. If you blow that up. It wouldn't take much to take a new block and build another one.