Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help with the Valves/valve train

12K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  car_doper 
#1 ·
OK I just need some information about this..

1- I am getting a kelford cam ( the drag one, I can get the Specs if needed).
and a upgraded valvetrain kit with dual springs.. AND 1mm bigger valves..( IF I can find them!!..

Q- will I have any problems With lash or ANYTHING ...I am gonna have a machine shop do the install, SO I should be fine ....RIGHT??...the SHOP should know how to clearence them ...RIGHT???
BUT I dont want to get it put ALLLLL back together and FIND out a I have a LOUD tick and have to take it apart again

thanks!

OH and where can I get a fair priced 1mm over valve kit.

ALSO ...does anyone know the spec's on a stock valve.??

This is the spec's of the valves I was looking at... ( I dont know if thay are any bigger than stock or not.....keep in mind I am looking for 1mm bigger valves!)

Intake Valve
Head Diam: 36.50mm
Stem Diam: 5.96mm
Length: 104.35mm

Exhaust Valve
Head Diam: 32.50mm
Stem Diam: 5.96mm
Length: 104.70mm

See less See more
#2 ·
Axis Power Racing offers what you asking for.. I also have Kelford Cams and Over sized Valves. I also increased my lift for more flow...

Attachments

#4 ·
Yes, Thank you.
Now I know if the SHop screws up, I can fix it myself, without too many problems.

BUT I am still wondering if the specs on the valves I listed in the 1st post are bigger or stock size..I wasnt able to tell from your post..

thanks alot You have been MOST helpfull!!!

EDIT: I got it .. They are the STOCK specs that I have posted.

#9 ·
First off, you need "16" valves.. "8" Intake & "8" Exhaust Valves...

Ok, you don't need new buckets, just new shims for the proper thickness to properly set the tolerances for the new cams.. I actually already posted the chart with the thicknesses and part numbers.. Some guys will do the "Conversion" to put the shims under the buckets, I have this done on mine but i don't know where you can get those buckets, as Ron @ Axis did my head work for me and it was part of the package...

#10 ·
my buckets are shimless ..I think all o4 and up are ... SO I still can shimm them???
and good lookin out ..I didnt catch that ( only 8 valves).. I would have bought them and flipped out when I got only 8 ..ehheh... SOOO back to searchin for the 16 1mm over valves....<Sigh>

#11 ·
I "Assume" you have to buy "8" Exhaust and then "8" Intake valves.. Then you can alter the sizes.. As for the "Shim-less" buckets, I assume you will then need to purchase "New" buckets UNLESS the conversion that I have is "shim-less" buckets with Shims underneath them.. Again, I don't know what all was done there as I didn't do it..

#13 ·
OK I need the help again!

I need to know what camshaft to go with .
I want a cam that makes the car lope a little. ( gotta love the v8 lope)
I want the cam to have power to 8000 RPM's

any idea's on the specs I should be looking for,

I DONT want to idle at 2k RPMS just to keep the car running.
I dont mind running at say 1k

so shoot some spec's my way please.
thanks guys

#14 ·
LOL. you want it all. Low Idle and lumpy profile.. The two really don't go together well in a REX.. My idle is about 1500rpm and it definitely surges a little as the vacuum was totally crushed by my cams.. I love my cams however, nice power with my GT35R..

#15 · (Edited)
well I got MOST of my parts on the way..
This is getting closer to being done. ........ I said CLOSER ... I still have a little way's to go.

I got :

-CP pistons w/rings (stock bore and 9:5:1 and wrist pins
-Eagle H rods w/ ARP studs
-SuperTech dual valve spring valve train w/ ti. retainers
-Kelford AVCS camshafts ( 278 &274) from cosworth..check it out!!.......>

-Cosworth main and rod bearing
- Cosworth oil pump
-OEM gaskets
-1mm over SuperTech Valves
-ARP head studs
- Gauges = wideband o2/ EGT/ fuel pressure / OIL pressure/ oil temp/ boost/ narrow band o2
- T-70 Turbo
-46mm EWG
- Oil cooler
- exhaust wrap

NEED:

- Injectors
- fuel pump
- AFPR
- and clutch
- water injection

So if anyone has anythign for me ........HIT ME UP!!! :)

#16 ·
Watch out for the Water Injection, it "Can" be hell on crank bearings.. Your injecting water into your combustion chamber. In case you didn't think about it, water doesn't compress like air so your going to also raise your compression..

I went with RC engineering Injectors.. Their 1200cc injectors are direct drop in and will be plenty for what you are doing and still give you room for growth..

I suggest a SPEC clutch, most of the shops that I have consulted suggested it to me, however I already had the ACT (which I just spun)..

I have an Aeromotive FPR and LOVE it..

Ohh, and you said AVCS cams?? Did you pick up the AVS heads? Am I missing something?

#22 ·
Oh. I guess I didn't pay too much attention to that.

With all of the power that you are getting, what transmission or gears are you going to go with? I keep telling myself that if my motor goes that I am going to go with Cobb Stage 2 Tuner Series block and Cobb Stage 2 (or 3?) Tuner Series Heads. But, I don't want to have to spend as much for a STi transmission as I am the motor.

#23 ·
car_doper said:
Oh. I guess I didn't pay too much attention to that.

With all of the power that you are getting, what transmission or gears are you going to go with? I keep telling myself that if my motor goes that I am going to go with Cobb Stage 2 Tuner Series block and Cobb Stage 2 (or 3?) Tuner Series Heads. But, I don't want to have to spend as much for a STi transmission as I am the motor.

I have no clue . I have not gotten that far yet.
It will be down the road a little ways.

#24 ·
car_doper said:
I keep telling myself that if my motor goes that I am going to go with Cobb Stage 2 Tuner Series block and Cobb Stage 2 (or 3?) Tuner Series Heads. But, I don't want to have to spend as much for a STi transmission as I am the motor.
Then you're not going to want to go this route. You will spend way more buying Cobb.

The 2.5L block and WRX head combo is going to do you right and be alot cheaper. You could look into cams too, this would help up top.

#25 ·
MUAHAH..

getting closer........and closer.... . I have part picts... :)
here goes :

T-70 turbo

Cp pistons

Kelfor Camshafts

Eagle H Rods

cosworth bearings..main and rod

oil cooler

exhaust wrap

SuperTech dual valve springs

TI. retainers

still have more ..just havent taken pictures yet..

#26 ·
9d2TSi said:
Then you're not going to want to go this route. You will spend way more buying Cobb.

The 2.5L block and WRX head combo is going to do you right and be alot cheaper. You could look into cams too, this would help up top.
Yeah, I talked to a tuner over the weekend, and he was telling me to go with a JDM STi block and get the WRX heads porte and polished.

Also, he told me that if you go with the 2.5 heads, that you need to go with a STi ECU. I didn't know that.

---------------------

brokenarrow,
parts llok good. that sure is a monster turbo. :rocks:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.