Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Help with the Valves/valve train (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/help-valves-valve-train-14109/)

brokenarrow 08-15-2006 08:35 PM

Help with the Valves/valve train

OK I just need some information about this..

1- I am getting a kelford cam ( the drag one, I can get the Specs if needed).
and a upgraded valvetrain kit with dual springs.. AND 1mm bigger valves..( IF I can find them!!..

Q- will I have any problems With lash or ANYTHING ...I am gonna have a machine shop do the install, SO I should be fine ....RIGHT??...the SHOP should know how to clearence them ...RIGHT???
BUT I dont want to get it put ALLLLL back together and FIND out a I have a LOUD tick and have to take it apart again

thanks!

OH and where can I get a fair priced 1mm over valve kit.

ALSO ...does anyone know the spec's on a stock valve.??

This is the spec's of the valves I was looking at... ( I dont know if thay are any bigger than stock or not.....keep in mind I am looking for 1mm bigger valves!)

Intake Valve
Head Diam: 36.50mm
Stem Diam: 5.96mm
Length: 104.35mm

Exhaust Valve
Head Diam: 32.50mm
Stem Diam: 5.96mm
Length: 104.70mm

LiL Shoaf 08-15-2006 09:21 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Axis Power Racing offers what you asking for.. I also have Kelford Cams and Over sized Valves. I also increased my lift for more flow...

LiL Shoaf 08-15-2006 09:40 PM

I hope that helps.. Sorry if I missed anything, I'm tired of reading that manual..

brokenarrow 08-15-2006 09:46 PM

Yes, Thank you.
Now I know if the SHop screws up, I can fix it myself, without too many problems.

BUT I am still wondering if the specs on the valves I listed in the 1st post are bigger or stock size..I wasnt able to tell from your post..

thanks alot You have been MOST helpfull!!!

EDIT: I got it .. They are the STOCK specs that I have posted.

LiL Shoaf 08-15-2006 10:02 PM

Sorry, I didn't see that.. Shoot Ron - [email]R.Williams@axispowerracing.net[/email] and email, he will hook you up with all the info you want..

brokenarrow 08-15-2006 10:13 PM

Thank you

LiL Shoaf 08-16-2006 09:51 PM

:rocks: 1mm "Big STI Valves".. only $1,599.... !Cry! :notgood:

[url]http://www.xcceleration.com/engine-packages-raceengines.html[/url]

brokenarrow 08-17-2006 01:09 AM

ahahahah.... no way!. I found some here at slowboy [url]http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=5294&mods=21-8845[/url]

BUT NEW BIG question..

will I need to get new buckets for my new drag camshaft..???

and if so WHERE THE HELL do i get em from ..!!!!????????????

thanks

LiL Shoaf 08-18-2006 06:02 PM

First off, you need "16" valves.. "8" Intake & "8" Exhaust Valves...

Ok, you don't need new buckets, just new shims for the proper thickness to properly set the tolerances for the new cams.. I actually already posted the chart with the thicknesses and part numbers.. Some guys will do the "Conversion" to put the shims under the buckets, I have this done on mine but i don't know where you can get those buckets, as Ron @ Axis did my head work for me and it was part of the package...

brokenarrow 08-19-2006 02:27 AM

my buckets are shimless ..I think all o4 and up are ... SO I still can shimm them???
and good lookin out ..I didnt catch that ( only 8 valves).. I would have bought them and flipped out when I got only 8 ..ehheh... SOOO back to searchin for the 16 1mm over valves....<Sigh>

LiL Shoaf 08-19-2006 10:34 AM

I "Assume" you have to buy "8" Exhaust and then "8" Intake valves.. Then you can alter the sizes.. As for the "Shim-less" buckets, I assume you will then need to purchase "New" buckets UNLESS the conversion that I have is "shim-less" buckets with Shims underneath them.. Again, I don't know what all was done there as I didn't do it..

brokenarrow 08-20-2006 04:05 AM

Cool.. I guess ill just leave it to the machine shop to figure out.
If I need new buckets, he can get em ..
BUT on a different note.. I applied for a 2nd job today.HAHAH.. I want my race car bad!!!!!

AND thanks for all of your help.!!
I am sure Ill need it again!

brokenarrow 09-04-2006 06:16 PM

OK I need the help again!

I need to know what camshaft to go with .
I want a cam that makes the car lope a little. ( gotta love the v8 lope)
I want the cam to have power to 8000 RPM's

any idea's on the specs I should be looking for,

I DONT want to idle at 2k RPMS just to keep the car running.
I dont mind running at say 1k

so shoot some spec's my way please.
thanks guys

LiL Shoaf 09-05-2006 06:33 PM

LOL. you want it all. Low Idle and lumpy profile.. The two really don't go together well in a REX.. My idle is about 1500rpm and it definitely surges a little as the vacuum was totally crushed by my cams.. I love my cams however, nice power with my GT35R..

brokenarrow 09-06-2006 10:28 PM

well I got MOST of my parts on the way..
This is getting closer to being done. ........ I said CLOSER ... I still have a little way's to go.

I got :

-CP pistons w/rings (stock bore and 9:5:1 and wrist pins
-Eagle H rods w/ ARP studs
-SuperTech dual valve spring valve train w/ ti. retainers
-Kelford AVCS camshafts ( 278 &274) from cosworth..check it out!!.......> [IMG]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/brokenarrow420/100_0063.jpg[/IMG]
-Cosworth main and rod bearing
- Cosworth oil pump
-OEM gaskets
-1mm over SuperTech Valves
-ARP head studs
- Gauges = wideband o2/ EGT/ fuel pressure / OIL pressure/ oil temp/ boost/ narrow band o2
- T-70 Turbo
-46mm EWG
- Oil cooler
- exhaust wrap

NEED:

- Injectors
- fuel pump
- AFPR
- and clutch
- water injection

So if anyone has anythign for me ........HIT ME UP!!! :)